Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quest 2 rooted / jailbroken away from Facebook

Summary

A team of modders has reported a successful jailbreak/root of the Quest 2 and the ability to bypass the Facebook Requirement.

Quotes

XRSI...a non-profit in the XR space... claimed it has verified a Quest 2 jailbreak method which achieves full control of the device and can skip the Facebook account requirement. Days after the launch of Quest 2, Robert Long, a WebXR developer at Mozilla, offered up $5,000...to anyone capable of freeing Quest 2 from Facebook services. Shortly afterwards, Oculus’ departed founder, Palmer Luckey, vowed to match ...among a few other voices in the community. Long said about today’s news that XRSI’s “legal and security expertise has been crucial in pushing this effort forward.” He had originally planned to crowdfund an even larger bounty for the jailbreak, but it seems jailbreakers have beat him too it.

My thoughts

I'm honestly not surprised considering the Quest is a glorified android device. This will definitely increase the price of the original headsets like the switch or any other device that has version specific jailbreaks. If you haven't bought a Quest 2, now is the time, even if it's just to scalp them to people wanting to jailbreak later.

Sources

Upload VR
Road to VR

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

LinusWare Dev | NotCPUCores Dev

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

well that didnt take long...

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Now I wonder if Facebook will sue them. Or would it be even possible

yeet!

2 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

Jailbreaking/rooting is legal

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

Facebook will probably find a reason to sue them or at least fix the bypass glitch.

1 minute ago, kucharczykt said:

Facebook will probably find a reason to sue them or at least fix the bypass glitch.

So something like Apple vs Jailbreakers right?

yeet!

Good. Now I expect a forced update that will remove this ability if I ever go online with my Quest 2, unless I patch it beforehand.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

grumpy-cat-good.png

Bonus points for epic use of grumpycat

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

Since when has that mattered in any lawsuit filed after 1981?

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Now this is good news.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Called it! Im just suprised it happened so fast.

16 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Since when has that mattered in any lawsuit filed after 1981?

Thankfully anti-SLAPP has gained popularity, just needs to be more widespread

This is damn great.

The things Quest offers are great for VR even with their caveats. The big problems are that it is Facebook (Oculus as a company is no more, there hasn't been a company called Oculus for couple of years now, it's Facebook that uses Oculus-trademark), from public and not-that-public sources I have collected information the Facebook account lock is quite holding and the possibility of platform lock-out in the case of breaking the Facebook community guidelines is very possible (RoadToVR pushed Facebook representative on this and the answer was thing are open, my sources who are into Quest development and in the inner circle for that say that, there has been no clear communication from the Facebook about this, something about the Quest platform getting more "compressed" but not in the near future, probably 3-6 months).

Quest 2 being jailbroken means that even if the worst came true, Facebook cannot lock you out of your headset for a Facebook status you made a decade ago. Not to mention all the other possibilities of using Quest 2s handtracking and even possibly turning Quest 2 games work on other hardware (namely PSVR with handtracking aka. Leap Motion).

On 10/27/2020 at 7:36 PM, rcmaehl said:

Honestly I feel like just jailbreaking shouldn't be illegal. Jailbreaking definitely allows people to do some illegal things but that doesnt seem to be the point in this case. It seems like they just don't like the Facebook account requirement and honestly I agree with them. You shouldn't have to have a social media account to use a VR headset. Social media is literally harmful in alot ways and the fact that they are trying to force you to have an account to use a VR headset is crazy. 

Facebook!? Who do they think their demographics are!!??