Repeated BSOD after component upgrade

So I've had my PC for like 6 years, I decided to upgrade some parts.

I switched to a Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE motherboard with a ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 4x8GB 3200 DDR4 crutial ballistix gaming memory ( not sure if it's the full name of the product ) and a samsung 970 evo plus NVMe M.2 SSD. I kept everything else ie: 2 HDD ( 1 & 2 To, I can check manufacturer and specs if needed but I haven't had any problem with them for years ) graphic card ( MSI Geforce 970 ), PSU ( it's a "LDLC EC-500 Quality Select 80PLUS Bronze", french reseller, probably a rebranding, more info here ) and fans and tower (thoug I doubt that's the problem ).

After installing every component I first checked it booted, then reactivated windows ( because new MB ) then used the CD included with the MB to install all included drivers.

Then I used a key to install windows on my new SSD, once it was done I formatted the former main HDD and recreated a partition ( for some reason the PC manufactrurer initially made 2 partitions on that disk ) then because I spent all day on it I didnt check any more driver until the following morning, instead I watched stuff on amazon prime, on firefox, and that's when I started to have very frequent BSODs ( it was not periodic, but about every 10mins) each time I waited for the computer to restard, went back to watching the boys, and it crashed about 15min later. I had a variety of messages including ( but probably not limited to) :

"kmode_exception_not_handled" "irql_not_less_or_equal" "apc_index_mimatch" "kernel_security_check_failure" "page_fault_in_nonpage_area"

Later I checked for cpu and gpu drivers, I checked that I had the latest windows update, and everything was up to date, but I kept on getting BSODs when watching Prime on firefox, I mention it because I had almost no bsod when watching YT or broswing the web, I don't see how it would be related but hey I have no idea what's wrong so why not.

I marked my memory sticks 1-4 and tried a variety of configurations, I spent a lot of time with only 1 on civ6 and no prob, a bit less time with 1&2 and no problem either, then I could spend quite some time with 1&2&3 but it ended up in bsod, same for 1&2&4, 1&2&empty slot&3, and for 3 alone. The problem is i can't know if only 1&2 work or if there's another problem and I just didnt wait long enough.

So I spent 7 hours running the memtest86 with the 4 sticks and... it found literally no errors (which is kind of weird, I'd expect it to found some random errors in a 7h test even if they were working ) so I don't know what to think.

On another hand, it ended hours ago and I still haven't had a BSOD since... But I gess my PC has a very nice sense of humor because I had a BSOD while writing this, thank god I don't have to write this all over again or I would have just thrown th PC out the window. And another one min later both "kernel_security_check_failure".

As requested by the posting instructions i have the dump files here,

I tried to be as thorough as I could, but if I missed any important detail please let me know. I am starting to get desperate, tomorrow I will re-install windows and update the BIOS, I don't see how that would change anything but I got no more ideas.

Can you create and send us a hwinfo log file?

Download HWiNFO here - https://www.hwinfo.com/

When you open HWiNFO, choose the option for Sensors only, and if prompted, hit continue. 

Also if prompted, do not download the beta version.

How to create a log:

Open HWiNFO and choose sensors only.

Then in the bottom right there is an icon that looks like a spreadsheet with a green plus on it.

Click that button to start logging, the green plus will switch to a red X to let you know its saving data. 

It will also ask you for a file name and where to save it. I save them to my desktop, name it whatever you want.

Let it run until the machine blue screens.

Then click the spreadsheet again so the red X turns back to a green +.

You now have a log file to share with us.

How to view the log file:

You can view the log using the GenericLogViewer addon here https://www.hwinfo.com/add-ons/

Download, extract, run GenericLogViewer.exe, click the open file button in the top right and point it to the log file you made above.

Use the dropdown in the upper right to choose which category to view 

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

Having the exact same issue and specs as you, except I have Corsair Vengance RGB PRO 16gb (8x2) 3200 DDR4 CMW16GX4M2C3200C16-TUF

I've tried absolutely everything and found no solution. Good luck!

If I do find a solution tho you'll be the first to know. 

7 hours ago, nathanhayball said:

Having the exact same issue and specs as you, except I have Corsair Vengance RGB PRO 16gb (8x2) 3200 DDR4 CMW16GX4M2C3200C16-TUF

I've tried absolutely everything and found no solution. Good luck!

If I do find a solution tho you'll be the first to know. 

Thanks ! will keep you updated if I find anything. I checked if anyone else had the same issur and I found this post, he doesn't have the exact same motherboard ( B450 Aorus M  instead of elite ) but it makes me think the motherboard may somehow be the source of all our issues .

10 hours ago, cr8tor said:

Can you create and send us a hwinfo log file?

Download HWiNFO here - https://www.hwinfo.com/

When you open HWiNFO, choose the option for Sensors only, and if prompted, hit continue. 

Also if prompted, do not download the beta version.

How to create a log:

Open HWiNFO and choose sensors only.

Then in the bottom right there is an icon that looks like a spreadsheet with a green plus on it.

Click that button to start logging, the green plus will switch to a red X to let you know its saving data. 

It will also ask you for a file name and where to save it. I save them to my desktop, name it whatever you want.

Let it run until the machine blue screens.

Then click the spreadsheet again so the red X turns back to a green +.

You now have a log file to share with us.

How to view the log file:

You can view the log using the GenericLogViewer addon here https://www.hwinfo.com/add-ons/

Download, extract, run GenericLogViewer.exe, click the open file button in the top right and point it to the log file you made above.

Use the dropdown in the upper right to choose which category to view 

Done ! I don't see anything out of the ordinary, what do you think ?

hwinfo log.CSV

Temps and voltages look good so i tend to agree.

That makes me think a piece of hardware is randomly dying and taking everything with it.

I think your going to have to swap parts around until you can figure out which one is causing it.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

That's what I thought. Do you think I should trust the memtest86 test and assume the RAM is OK and focus on something else ? Or continue with testing different RAM configuration ?

Thanks for your help !

1 minute ago, SaveYourLifes said:

Do you think I should trust the memtest86 test and assume the RAM is OK

No, any diags can only test for failures that it has been programmed to look for.

Things can die in all sorts of mysterious ways, so no diag is every 100%.

Do test them 1 stick at time. Well, you have 4 sticks so try 2 at at time. 🙂

Family machines

7 hours ago, SaveYourLifes said:

Thanks ! will keep you updated if I find anything. I checked if anyone else had the same issur and I found this post, he doesn't have the exact same motherboard ( B450 Aorus M  instead of elite ) but it makes me think the motherboard may somehow be the source of all our issues .

I was told, by someone who works as a tech support for various businesses, to change the virtual memory to 0.  Go to file explorer > right click on My PC > properties > advanced system settings (to the right of the screen under related settings) > Advanced > Performance > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change > click on your C drive (or your m.2 ssd where windows is installed) and select no paging file.

He told me he has seen similar issues before and that might be it, so far my system hasn't crashed but now its holding out on 3200mhz for about 30mins. 

17 hours ago, SaveYourLifes said:

then reactivated windows

I just realized you didnt reinstall windows.

I hate to say it, but after replacing the mobo, i would always reinstall the OS.

Expect issues until you do so. You will likely spend less time reinstalling windows and software then you will troubleshooting random weird issues that will crop up.

Windows sucks at dealing with major hardware changes.

17 hours ago, SaveYourLifes said:

Then I used a key to install windows on my new SSD

Ok, im confused, did you reinstall windows or not?

Is this a clean OS install you are dealing with or the old install repaired or what?

Please clarify.

Family machines

29 minutes ago, nathanhayball said:

I was told, by someone who works as a tech support for various businesses, to change the virtual memory to 0.  Go to file explorer > right click on My PC > properties > advanced system settings (to the right of the screen under related settings) > Advanced > Performance > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change > click on your C drive (or your m.2 ssd where windows is installed) and select no paging file.

He told me he has seen similar issues before and that might be it, so far my system hasn't crashed but now its holding out on 3200mhz for about 30mins. 

I will try this and keep you updated on the results, thanks !

24 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

I just realized you didnt reinstall windows.

I hate to say it, but after replacing the mobo, i would always reinstall the OS.

Expect issues until you do so. You will likely spend less time reinstalling windows and software then you will troubleshooting random weird issues that will crop up.

Windows sucks at dealing with major hardware changes.

Ok, im confused, did you reinstall windows or not?

Is this a clean OS install you are dealing with or the old install repaired or what?

Please clarify.

First I needed to re-activate windows because I changed the mobo so windows asked me to. At that point I had installed every component, but I had not migrated windows to my new SSD, it was still installed on my old HDD

Then, I installed a windows partition on my SSD and formatted the old partition on my HDD. To do so I downloaded the windows media tool ( not sure about the name ) to install stuff on a usb stick, I unplugged my HDD, booted on my USB stick, installed windows on the SSD, then plugged everything back, booted on the SSD and cleared the HDD.

Might be a weird way to do it, but it was the way I thought would give me less issues regarding number of windows installation limitation.

Since my first post I did not re-install windows, though I plan on trying that.

Hope this clears things up !

15 minutes ago, SaveYourLifes said:

Might be a weird way to do it,

Nope, thats pretty normal, even recommended.

Thanks for clarifying.

If its a clean OS isntall then you have to have as hardware issue somewhere assuming you did get all the device drivers installed.

Did you check device manager to ensure there are no missing chipset drivers or something like that?

If all is well for drivers, then you are probably going to need to swap hardware around to diagnose what piece has failed.

On your memory, test 2 sticks, if it has problems, take them out and test the other 2. 

If the problem still exists, its not the memory sticks.

Remove un-needed hardware long enough to ts. Maybe even strip it down to required components and do another fresh install of the OS to see if ir then runs ok.

If so, add parts back until problems re-occur. This could be a long troubleshooting battle but until you get something to point you in a direction, its about all i have to suggest.

Family machines

20 hours ago, nathanhayball said:

So, I haven't had time to try that because I might have found another solution. I found out I could update the chipset's drivers, so I did, and so far (5-6hours) no bsod, not even a firefox crash... Never had such a long, uninterupted session.

As a computer science student I feel really dumb not knowing the chipset is  something that needed drivers 😅 I thought it was just a part of the mobo and didn't need anything at the software level... well at least I may have solved my issue, hope it fixes yours too.

1 hour ago, SaveYourLifes said:

So, I haven't had time to try that because I might have found another solution. I found out I could update the chipset's drivers, so I did, and so far (5-6hours) no bsod, not even a firefox crash... Never had such a long, uninterupted session.

As a computer science student I feel really dumb not knowing the chipset is  something that needed drivers 😅 I thought it was just a part of the mobo and didn't need anything at the software level... well at least I may have solved my issue, hope it fixes yours too.

I've also tried updating the chipset driver but didn't fix my issue, I did however manage to last around 8 hours without a bsod but then it happened while I was away. mind telling what version you downloaded (amd's site or mobo's site?) and what version of windows you're using? 

Good to see your issue has been fixed though 🙂

27 minutes ago, nathanhayball said:

I've also tried updating the chipset driver but didn't fix my issue, I did however manage to last around 8 hours without a bsod but then it happened while I was away. mind telling what version you downloaded (amd's site or mobo's site?) and what version of windows you're using? 

Good to see your issue has been fixed though 🙂

I downloaded everything that's on there in the "driver" section and I'm running windows 2H20 !

yea I'm still not sure it's fixed, since I have no way of testing other than waiting I might realize it wasn't enough in 3 days, but so far so good !

Now that I think about that, I think I had an older version of windows a couple days ago, 19.something ( windows update wouldn't give me a newer version, nor would the microsoft tool ) so maybe that's what fixed the issue for me.

1 hour ago, SaveYourLifes said:

I downloaded everything that's on there in the "driver" section and I'm running windows 2H20 !

yea I'm still not sure it's fixed, since I have no way of testing other than waiting I might realize it wasn't enough in 3 days, but so far so good !

Now that I think about that, I think I had an older version of windows a couple days ago, 19.something ( windows update wouldn't give me a newer version, nor would the microsoft tool ) so maybe that's what fixed the issue for me.

I'm on windows 20H2 too. I tried installing everything on gigabyte's website but that didn't seem to fix my issue, I could go for hours or an entire day without a bsod though.

I installed the chipset drivers from AMD's website since they are more up to date, hopefully that will fix the issue but I'm not hopeful. Honestly I'm probably going to end up returning this motherboard since it giving me so many issues.

On 10/29/2020 at 6:34 PM, nathanhayball said:

I'm on windows 20H2 too. I tried installing everything on gigabyte's website but that didn't seem to fix my issue, I could go for hours or an entire day without a bsod though.

I installed the chipset drivers from AMD's website since they are more up to date, hopefully that will fix the issue but I'm not hopeful. Honestly I'm probably going to end up returning this motherboard since it giving me so many issues.

Same, finally had a bsod after 2days of normal use, I dont think things will improve and even just a bsod every couple days can't be good for the computer in the long run. I'll probably return the mobo before the warranty wears off.

But it sucks 😕 ( pardon my french )