Buying a 10 month old 2080 TI over a 3070.

Roknaroz

Greetings People of LTT Forum

Agreed to meet with a seller tomorrow to pick up a second hand MSI TRIO RTX 2080 TI which was bought in January.

I'm paying about 600 euro which is about the same price that the 3070 is launching at on the 29th.

I believe it's a pretty decent deal, since it's trading blows with 3070 across all benchmarks not to also mention the shortage of GPUs there's likely to be around launch.

Am I making a terrible mistake?

I'm switching from a 5700 XT, which isn't a bad card of course but I wanna go back to Nvidia tech.

5700XT to a 2080Ti doesn't seem like it'd be worth 600 Euros to me

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

seems like a decent deal, assuming its in good shape. you should get 2+ years of warranty and you should be able to sell the 5700xt for half that

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

I'd just try your luck at a 3070 at launch. It beats out the 2080ti majority of the time and is more power efficient, therefore running cooler and quieter 

I would with certainty miss out on the deal if I'm not at the seller tomorrow to pick it up, there's a lot of interest in 2080 TIs in Denmark right now.
And yes I would most likely be able to flip the 5700 XT Red Devil for 300 euro

22 minutes ago, Roknaroz said:

Greetings People of LTT Forum

Agreed to meet with a seller tomorrow to pick up a second hand MSI TRIO RTX 2080 TI which was bought in January.

I'm paying about 600 euro which is about the same price that the 3070 is launching at on the 29th.

I believe it's a pretty decent deal, since it's trading blows with 3070 across all benchmarks not to also mention the shortage of GPUs there's likely to be around launch.

Am I making a terrible mistake?

I'm switching from a 5700 XT, which isn't a bad card of course but I wanna go back to Nvidia tech.

It's alright for 600 euros. I personally wouldn't get a used card for that price but it is up to you. Any reason the 5700xt isn't good enough anymore?

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's alright for 600 euros. I personally wouldn't get a used card for that price but it is up to you. Any reason the 5700xt isn't good enough anymore?

As I wrote, I don't think the 5700 XT is a bad card. But I wanna go back to Nvidia since I'm most impressed by the tech they're providing for games.
Also gonna be upgrading to 1440p or maybe even 4k this Holiday, where the 2080TI/3070 would give the extra power.

11 hours ago, Roknaroz said:

As I wrote, I don't think the 5700 XT is a bad card. But I wanna go back to Nvidia since I'm most impressed by the tech they're providing for games.
Also gonna be upgrading to 1440p or maybe even 4k this Holiday, where the 2080TI/3070 would give the extra power.

4k is still not a resolution you can game at at higher fps which is unfortunate. Your best bet would be a 1440p 144hz display as that is the current sweetspot (would also allow you to use the card far longer due to ya know having more performance headroom at that resolution). I would honestly just stick with the rx5700 and get a 3070 or 3080 (you are only 100€ away from it essentially) in januari when they start becoming readily available.

Update on situation:
I cancelled with the seller and I have decided to indeed wait until we're into 2021 to pull the trigger on the GPU upgrade.
I've instead chosen to see how the new Ryzen 5 5600x behaves at launch and most likely gonna upgrade to that from my 2600x.

Update on situation:
I managed to pounce on a gigabyte 3070 today and I'm happy I cancelled the deal on the 2080TI
I thank you all on the input!