I cant really tell the difference between the DT770 and HyperX Cloud 2

Radioactive Snowman

So I upgraded my audio gear this week to the Fiio K Pro, a modmic USB and the Beyerdynamic DT770.

The Fiio and modmic are both great but I really cant tell the difference between the HyperX cloud 2 and the DT770. Maybe my ears are just untrained but I spent the last hour going back and forth with both plugged into the amp and very rarely did I notice any kind of improvement. 

Would I have more success with the DT990 since its an open back? Or is there something else I should try instead? I think open back might be my best choice, I can keep the hyperx on hand in the event I need to be quiet. 

41 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

So I upgraded my audio gear this week to the Fiio K Pro, a modmic USB and the Beyerdynamic DT770.

The Fiio and modmic are both great but I really cant tell the difference between the HyperX cloud 2 and the DT770. Maybe my ears are just untrained but I spent the last hour going back and forth with both plugged into the amp and very rarely did I notice any kind of improvement. 

Would I have more success with the DT990 since its an open back? Or is there something else I should try instead? I think open back might be my best choice, I can keep the hyperx on hand in the event I need to be quiet. 

Yeah the DT 990s are much better sounding for listening use/gaming. It sounds more wide and airy and less claustrophobic. But the reason why you aren't hearing an improvement is because the HyperX's are already a great headphone. They are based of the Takstar pro 80 studio headphones which are also good. The major differences between the 2 would be sound signature. But I don't know the difference really. I would assume that the HyperX's are more bassy since they are more closed.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

39 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Yeah the DT 990s are much better sounding for listening use/gaming. It sounds more wide and airy and less claustrophobic. But the reason why you aren't hearing an improvement is because the HyperX's are already a great headphone. They are based of the Takstar pro 80 studio headphones which are also good. The major differences between the 2 would be sound signature. But I don't know the difference really. I would assume that the HyperX's are more bassy since they are more closed.

I think I'm going to give the 990's a try, I'll return the 770's and order a pair.

On the brightside I feel very comfortable recommending the cloud 2's to people now!

6 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

I think I'm going to give the 990's a try, I'll return the 770's and order a pair.

On the brightside I feel very comfortable recommending the cloud 2's to people now!

Nice!

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

2 hours ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

One mistake people get into is going back and forth. And not letting their ears get used to the sound and find the nuances of the headphones. While an open back will be better for games than both. Just take your time and spend a week with it. Get used to it as going from something already decent for gaming to an upgrade the differences aren't always obvious right away. Let your ears get used to them.emotion fatigue and overapl headspace also affects the way you hear or perceive things pretty majorly so if you have a good return policy from where you purchased them from take your time with it.

9 hours ago, rice guru said:

One mistake people get into is going back and forth. And not letting their ears get used to the sound and find the nuances of the headphones. While an open back will be better for games than both. Just take your time and spend a week with it. Get used to it as going from something already decent for gaming to an upgrade the differences aren't always obvious right away. Let your ears get used to them.emotion fatigue and overapl headspace also affects the way you hear or perceive things pretty majorly so if you have a good return policy from where you purchased them from take your time with it.

I actually sent them back this morning, I'm going for fidelio X2HR's instead. Going off reviews they seem like the best fit

3 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

I actually sent them back this morning, I'm going for fidelio X2HR's instead. Going off reviews they seem like the best fit

Nice the bass is pretty good and the wide presentation is gonna be nice . Positional audio isn't very good on it but good enoigh to be competent