Is a builder 600W PSU reliable?

noodlespinbot

It's tier C. Depending on what you're running and at how much of it capacity it's not tooooo bad. I'd more than likely upgrade that before anything else though.

Edited by Voluspa
Thought OP had a different brand.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

https://www.riotoro.com/builder-edition-600w

This one? If so, its meh, if you're not doing anything too intensive.

You could do a lot better though, it won't explode and burn your house down, but if you're doing some intense stuff I would probably upgrade it soon

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Ah, those PSUs... They sell them for like 10 pounds in the UK. Absolute junk. Doesn't have aPFC, less than 80% efficiency, would be lucky to actually output 300W let alone 600W.

4 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

It's tier C.

Tier C?!?

You must be thinking of the Riotoro Builder series. I think what OP has is this, which is a completely different power supply

image.thumb.png.faaa218236d2bd39341eb894242bbec9.png

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/600w-xclio-builder-fully-wired-single-rail-120mm-fan-passive-atx-psu

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Ah, those PSUs... They sell them for like 10 pounds in the UK. Absolute junk. Doesn't have aPFC, less than 80% efficiency, would be lucky to actually output 300W let alone 600W.

Tier C?!?

You must be thinking of the Riotoro Builder series. I think what OP has is this, which is a completely different power supply

https://www.scan.co.uk/images/products/super/3114599-l-d.jpg

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/600w-xclio-builder-fully-wired-single-rail-120mm-fan-passive-atx-psu

I was thinking Riotoro. Never seen the other ones before. Thanks for pointing that out. Hopefully those aren't what OP has..

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Tier C?!?

thats what i have

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Tier C?!?

Exactly what op has as that was in the used system I found.

1 minute ago, noodlespinbot said:

thats what i have

Ok in that case replace it with something better

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, noodlespinbot said:

thats what i have

As I recommended replace as soon as you can.

2 minutes ago, noodlespinbot said:

thats what i have

Replace it. Those PSU's are absolute junk.

What are your system specs?

2 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

I was thinking Riotoro. Never seen the other ones before. Thanks for pointing that out. Hopefully those aren't what OP has..

They're 200-240V only, so if you're in the USA or anywhere else that uses 115V mains they won't be sold there. They're more common in the UK where they sell for 10-20 pounds and will show up at the top of the page if you sort by "Price: Low to high". Their low price means they often end up in PCs people are flipping as they try to save a few bucks on the PSU.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

They're 200-240V only, so if you're in the USA or anywhere else that uses 115V mains they won't be sold there. They're more common in the UK where they sell for 10-20 pounds and will show up at the top of the page if you sort by "Price: Low to high". Their low price means they often end up in PCs people are flipping as they try to save a few bucks on the PSU.

Can i turn it on then unplug it till i get a new psu.

18 minutes ago, noodlespinbot said:

I bought a pc with a builder 600w psu and some people said to get a new psu. I was wondering if it was reliable and how long will it last?

Like Bob the Builder?

4 minutes ago, noodlespinbot said:

Can i turn it on then unplug it till i get a new psu.

I think you might run in to a few issues if you turn it on and then unplug it...?

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Exactly what op has as that was in the used system I found.

OMG!  I've never seen that before.

When 480W = 600W.  LOL!  New math.

18 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That's exactly why. 115V here. Price: Low to high even on Newegg gives some scary results. 

@noodlespinbot Obviously, I've never encountered these. The reviews I'm seeing online range from switch melting in a day to smelling weird a week in then it stops working. 

I wouldn't turn my system on with that honestly. It's your system though.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

That's exactly why. 115V here. Price: Low to high even on Newegg gives some scary results. 

@noodlespinbot Obviously, I've never encountered these. The reviews I'm seeing online range from switch melting in a day to smelling weird a week in then it stops working. 

I wouldn't turn my system on with that honestly. It's your system though.

ok tyvm I'm gonna get a new PSU before i turn it on

12 hours ago, noodlespinbot said:

but can i just to set it up?

Why do that if you won't use the PC until you get a new PSU anyway?