New NAS for videos and photos

Fedeoeae

I intend to buy a NAS for (family) photos and videos.

I am pretty unsure about what to get, as there are many different models with slight differences like 1GB ram instead of 2 gb that have like 50.- difference.

For slot number I think it doesn't make any sense to buy a 2 slot one, as you basically can't use raid (except 0 and 1, which both don't really make sense), so I think I will go with a 4 Slot one with 4x4TB.

Also does CPU make a difference?

Which NAS should I get?

(As I live in switzerland these are the best stores to buy in, if you want to check availability before recommending (also hardware names are the same in all languages ;) )

https://www.digitec.ch/en/

https://www.microspot.ch/de

https://www.pc-ostschweiz.ch/

)

Thanks for the replies.

20 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What many tb do you need?

What are you using the nas for? Just storing files or for apps aswell?

What performance do you need?

I would get at least 8 TB of storage, but as it isnt possible to do a sensible raid solution with less then 4 drives (and I dont want to buy 4x2TB, as that makes upgrading later difficult), I will probably buy 4x3TB or 4x4TB.

I will only use it for storage, photos and videos.

I dont know what performance "means" in the context of NAS. What difference does higher performance in form of better CPU or more RAM make?

4 hours ago, Fedeoeae said:

I would get at least 8 TB of storage, but as it isnt possible to do a sensible raid solution with less then 4 drives (and I dont want to buy 4x2TB, as that makes upgrading later difficult), I will probably buy 4x3TB or 4x4TB.

I will only use it for storage, photos and videos.

I dont know what performance "means" in the context of NAS. What difference does higher performance in form of better CPU or more RAM make?

For performance, how many mB/s and iops do you need?  For things like copying files, all nas models will be fine.

Id start out with 2x8tb drives or bigger, then expand the array later if needed.

39 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

For performance, how many mB/s and iops do you need?  For things like copying files, all nas models will be fine.

Id start out with 2x8tb drives or bigger, then expand the array later if needed.

what raid setup would you use?

2 hours ago, Fedeoeae said:

what raid setup would you use?

With 2 drives, raid 1 is the best option for your use. But some systems like the ones from synology has custom raid modes that allow for easy expansion.