Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello !

I have a question about a computer configuration that i made. I want to apologize if my questions seems stupid but I need theese info and i am not an "expert" in that kind of stuff

So my configuration is:

 

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Pro WIFi

CPU: Intel 9900K

RAM: 128 Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 64GB DDR4 3200MHz   

GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super WINDFORCE OC 3X 8GB GDDR6

SSD Seagate FireCuda 510 1TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280

SSD Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280

SSD Seagate FireCuda 120 2TB SATA-III 2.5 inch

Hard Disk WD Black 6TB SATA-III 7200RPM 256MB

The other components are BeQuiet 801 case, NXZT 850W Power supply Bw Quiet Cooler and fan etc

 

My first question is if I can populate another PCIE slot with a PCIE4X 10Gb network card as I own a Synology 1517+ NAS 10Gb Network capable. I understand that my CPU does have only 16 PCIE Lanes and i know that the MOBO has also 24 lanes but i do not know if i add 16 and 24 or i have 24 or i have 16. The GPU takes 16 nut i also have M.2 SSD's Memory etc. Forgive my lack of knowledge but i want to know if i can do that. 

I forwarded a question to Giganyte support and they answered me that the PCIE lanes will split among devices.

Also want to know if i can use the M.2 SSD's in a pcie conguration or sata without affecting the performance og the gpu

 

The purpose of this machine is video editing and photo editing so it is a workstation ( a budget one) i i don not want to affect the full perfromance of the gpu

 

Than you so much !

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you plug the card in the 2nd PCIe slot the first one (with the GPU) would downgrade to x8.

If you plug it in the 3rd (black) the GPU will stay at x16, and the NIC will connect to the chipset and share bandwidth with the m.2s, SATA etc.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

 

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

 

GPD Win 2

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

If you plug the card in the 2nd PCIe slot the first one (with the GPU) would downgrade to x8.

If you plug it in the 3rd (black) the GPU will stay at x16, and the NIC will connect to the chipset and share bandwidth with the m.2s, SATA etc.

Thank you for enlightening me regarding this matter. Verry much appreciate this as I struggled to find info in last couple of days with no luck.

So if i got it right M.2 and sata are usig PCI lanes from de chipset. 

So is it possible to so use some other PCIE slots x1 from the motherboard in the same way ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. But see motherboard manual, sometimes populating some x1 slots disables some SATA or m.2 ports.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

 

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

 

GPD Win 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you using Z390 chipset?

 

Well, you can always check the motherboard manual: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-aorus-pro_wifi_1001_190708_e.pdf

 

8 minutes ago, SkyMedia said:

So if i got it right M.2 and sata are usig PCI lanes from de chipset. 

Yes, though some of them actually share lanes. You can look at page 20 to see the conflicts.

 

11 minutes ago, SkyMedia said:

So is it possible to so use some other PCIE slots x1 from the motherboard in the same way ?

If you buy PCIe x1 SATA add-in card like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Ziyituod-Controller-Expansion-Profile-Non-Raid/dp/B07SZDK6CZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1XC7NGM1YL4V5&dchild=1&keywords=pcie+sata+card&qid=1603792234&sprefix=pcie+sata%2Caps%2C390&sr=8-3, you should be able to convert your PCIe x1 slot to a SATA port. Note that PCIe Gen 3 x1 maximum bandwidth is 7.58Gbps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yes. But see motherboard manual, sometimes populating some x1 slots disables some SATA or m.2 ports.

Thank you, i know that populating both M.2 slots will disable 3 sata ports and i am ok with that. I do not plan to use more that 2 SATA ports, one for the firecuda 120 SSD and one for the spinning hard drive. Maybe, who knows another Sata SSD in the future 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Yes. But see motherboard manual, sometimes populating some x1 slots disables some SATA or m.2 ports.

For Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi, all of the PCIe x1 slot is dedicated, so is the PCIEX4 slot. Not sure about other chipset, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Are you using Z390 chipset?

 

Well, you can always check the motherboard manual: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-aorus-pro_wifi_1001_190708_e.pdf

 

Yes, though some of them actually share lanes. You can look at page 20 to see the conflicts.

 

If you buy PCIe x1 SATA add-in card like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Ziyituod-Controller-Expansion-Profile-Non-Raid/dp/B07SZDK6CZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1XC7NGM1YL4V5&dchild=1&keywords=pcie+sata+card&qid=1603792234&sprefix=pcie+sata%2Caps%2C390&sr=8-3, you should be able to convert your PCIe x1 slot to a SATA port. Note that PCIe Gen 3 x1 maximum bandwidth is 7.58Gbps.

Yes I am using the Z390 chipset. Actually i do not have any need for additional SATA ports. But i might need a PCIE sound card aor other stuff that might become handy and i wanted to know the limitations 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SkyMedia said:

Thank you, i know that populating both M.2 slots will disable 3 sata ports and i am ok with that. I do not plan to use more that 2 SATA ports, one for the firecuda 120 SSD and one for the spinning hard drive. Maybe, who knows another Sata SSD in the future 

Well... Actually, For your case, you should still have 4 SATA ports working.

 

If you populate M2A with M2 PCIe or NVMe SSD (the super fast SSD), it won't disable your SATA3 1 port. However, if you populate a M2 SATA SSD, the SATA3 1 port will be disabled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

For Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi, all of the PCIe x1 slot is dedicated, so is the PCIEX4 slot. Not sure about other chipset, though.

Sorry again for being stupid but what that means all of the PCIe x1 slot is dedicated ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SkyMedia said:

But i might need a PCIE sound card aor other stuff that might become handy and i wanted to know the limitations 

I see. Well, as far as I know, the PCIe x1 slots and PCEX4 slot are dedicated, so they don't share PCIe lanes with other device to my knowledge. This means that you can use those PCIe slots and don't have to worry that the motherboard will disable other components.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SkyMedia said:

Sorry again for being stupid but what that means all of the PCIe x1 slot is dedicated ?

It means the slot has their own dedicated PCIe lanes connected directly to the chipset and they don't share with other device such as M2 slots or SATA ports.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys for your lightning fast feedbak ! It was really helpful.

Chapeau bas!

🎩👏

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×