My second Monitor not being detected?

MadBob

hello,

So ive had my main monitor for a long time wich uses HDMI and I found this old monitor which uses VGA cable. The monitor plugs in and turns on but when i go to settings to detect it. It dosent work for some reason ive watched many tutorials on trying to fix it but none of them worked so far. Many of the videos told me to just check if my drivers are up to date which they are. Another video told me to go to my Mother Board BIOS and find internal Grahics which I didhavent i had Intergrated grahics for anyone wondering my bios is a gigabyte. all im asking is for some help please im like really close to just setting the monitor on fire and i dont really wanna do that haha.

Howdy and welcome :)

Iirc I was told once that the last video card that actually did analog was the 900 series.  Analog video isn’t even supported in win10 or something like that. Not sure.  What video card are you connecting this ancient monitor with and with what?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Howdy and welcome :)

Iirc I was told once that the last video card that actually did analog was the 900 series.  Analog video isn’t even supported in win10 or something like that. Not sure.  What video card are you connecting this ancient monitor with and with what?

hello i have a gtx 1060 and my monitor has an windows vesta thing lol. its my gtx 1060 has a dvi port so im using a vga to dvi convertor so it can connect but idk if its working

1 minute ago, MadBob said:

hello i have a gtx 1060 and my monitor has an windows vesta thing lol. its my gtx 1060 has a dvi port so im using a vga to dvi convertor so it can connect but idk if its working

It may not be.  There are 5 kinds of dvi and 2 of them are analog.  If you’ve got one of those you will need an “active” adaptor.  They generally cost more than a new monitor would and have other problems on top of that.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It may not be.  There are 5 kinds of dvi and 2 of them are analog.  If you’ve got one of those you will need an “active” adaptor.  They generally cost more than a new monitor would and have other problems on top of that.

oh okay thanks ill just forget about it then thanks for the help

56 minutes ago, MadBob said:

oh okay thanks ill just forget about it then thanks for the help

A lot of monitors had both analog and digital stuff. It sort of depends on how the innards were wired.  If the dvi port is any sort of dviD it’s just an issue with getting the adaptor right.