I want to add spanish subtitles to LTT's videos.

Hello!

I am an applied maths and computation student who also happens to be an english teacher and have a growing passion for LTT (and everything technnology), their highly entertaining content has helped me ease some of the stress encountered while persuing my degree and it even has helped fill some gaps in my knowledge. Sadly I can't share with a lot of my peers because of the existing language barriers.

I'd like to do the spanish subtitles for the upcoming videos, at least the main channel ones, I already have experience translating, mostly volunteer proyects across different fields including some youtube videos.

However it seems like I can't add subtitles to LTT's videos since they seem to be locked.

I know it seems like a huge endevour and a big exception, but is there some way I could do a trial for a couple of videos to to assure you that I'll keep the quality of the content up?

The spanish speaking market is huge, and we have yet to experience a technology content creator boom, so I belive this could be a great opportunity to expand LTT's reach and make it more approachable for a lot of people.

Obviously as a volunteer.

Adding @LinusTech @AlexTheGreatish @CPotterand @ColinLTT so they see this, though there might be a better place to ask this, so tagging @Spotty @wkdpaul and @LogicalDrm to ask.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Didn't youtube removed the community CC option already?

You would have to ask them to burn them into the video, and I doubt they will accept that, their aspect ratio is already too short, removing even more vertical space would require them to go back to 16:9, which would be nice to have again.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

YouTube has removed community contributed captions so it's no longer possible to submit captions. At the moment we're working on additional languages and the one's we do have being done are typically added to the videos not longer after it goes live, but it can take a bit for them to show up under the closed captioning option. Any other language that isn't done manually is sort of be done YouTube's auto-caption option, but it's not perfect to say the least.

2 hours ago, GoldSrc said:

Didn't youtube removed the community CC option already?

You would have to ask them to burn them into the video, and I doubt they will accept that, their aspect ratio is already too short, removing even more vertical space would require them to go back to 16:9, which would be nice to have again.

They don't have to be burned into the video. That would be extremely stupid of YouTube (not to say YouTube hasn't done anything dumb in the past) because that would mean creators would now have to make separate uploads for each subtitle language they choose to provide. What YouTube did remove as you said is just the community CC option. So while viewers like you and me can't submit subtitles for videos that's not on our own channel, the original uploader can still add subtitles manually themselves.

image.thumb.png.05eb0039212c92e5cb30a512b619e9f2.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 hours ago, Chase Douglas said:

YouTube has removed community contributed captions so it's no longer possible to submit captions. At the moment we're working on additional languages and the one's we do have being done are typically added to the videos not longer after it goes live, but it can take a bit for them to show up under the closed captioning option. Any other language that isn't done manually is sort of be done YouTube's auto-caption option, but it's not perfect to say the least.

I understand the owner of the video can still make captions.

If I made a txt file with all the timestamps and translation, and post it here, would there be a chance for it to work?

3 hours ago, TorukM1 said:

I understand the owner of the video can still make captions.

If I made a txt file with all the timestamps and translation, and post it here, would there be a chance for it to work?

We always appreciate it when community members want to help out with this kind of stuff, but we've already got Spanish and some other languages covered so there's no need to post any video translations to the forums.