Does Anybody Know Where to Find a i9 9980HK

So you're probably wondering why I want a laptop CPU

Long story short I want to upgrade my laptops CPU

I am aware of the diffuicult of the task and I have done all the required reseach for compadability and support. The only issues I will have is the inability to overclock due to the BIOS, which I am okay with as I want the higher binned CPU anyway and further down the line I might decide to find a way around it. For now though all I'll be doing is usoldering the old CPU (i7 9750H) and soldering on the new one (i9 9980HK). I'll probably even get a professional to do it for me 

For those who are wondering what the laptop in question is; its a Dell G7 17 (7790), i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16 GB Corsair Vengence RAM

Sell the laptop and get the one you want?

If you do find the 9980hk you'll end up paying a premium for it as it probably won't be just the CPU.. Maybe find a laptop on ebay that has one in it that says for parts or something (could be CPU problem, though, lol, but maybe not). 

Is this even possible, though? Why do this in the first place? 

15 minutes ago, Ndwolfy780 said:

I am aware of the diffuicult of the task and I have done all the required reseach for compadability and support. The only issues I will have is the inability to overclock due to the BIOS, which I am okay with as I want the higher binned CPU anyway and further down the line I might decide to find a way around it. For now though all I'll be doing is usoldering the old CPU (i7 9750H) and soldering on the new one (i9 9980HK). I'll probably even get a professional to do it for me 

For those who are wondering what the laptop in question is; its a Dell G7 17 (7790), i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16 GB Corsair Vengence RAM

Soldering is a whole new ballgame and requires special tools that cost a lot of money...you are better of buying a brand new laptop instead of desoldering the current processor, and reattaching the new processor. Intel's mobile CPUs use the BGA format, short for Ball Grid Array. There is a YouTube video of Louis Rossmann going through the process of resoldering a chip on a MacBook Pro motherboard and goes as the same process here. The machine required is a couple thousand dollars US. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

14 minutes ago, Ndwolfy780 said:

You'll need to find a donor laptop. I'm not aware of many places that offer these types of services to consumers.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Soldering is a whole new ballgame and requires special tools that cost a lot of money...you are better of buying a brand new laptop instead of desoldering the current processor, and reattaching it. Intel's mobile CPUs use the BGA format, short for Ball Grid Array. There is a YouTube video of Louis Rossmann going through the process of resoldering a chip on a MacBook Pro motherboard and goes as the same process here. The machine required is a couple thousand dollars US. 

Duely noted, sending to a professional then

5 minutes ago, mrdoubtfull said:

Sell the laptop and get the one you want?

If you do find the 9980hk you'll end up paying a premium for it as it probably won't be just the CPU.. Maybe find a laptop on ebay that has one in it that says for parts or something (could be CPU problem, though, lol, but maybe not). 

Is this even possible, though? Why do this in the first place? 

I dont want to sell the a laptop and get a new one. as I plan on modifying it a bunch anway. Im gonna water cool it along with a few other things

3 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

You'll need to find a donor laptop. I'm not aware of many places that offer these types of services to consumers.

Im pretty sure you can get them from OEM stores, but most places ive found online look either sketchy or are in a diffrent language