Silverstone's psu recommendations for ryzen 3 and new gpus

chimimoryo

So silverstone is recommending a 1000w power supply for a 3080 and ryzen 3 5900. Does that sound right. 

I was planning on either a 5800 or 5900 and depending on how big navi made out one of them or a 3080. I just purchased a RMx 850 thinking that'd be enough, but this morning I sw that info graphic. 

Is 850w going to be enough? I realize not everything has been tested

FB_IMG_1603755138596.jpg

4 minutes ago, chimimoryo said:

So silverstone is recommending a 1000w power supply for a 3080 and ryzen 3 5900. Does that sound right. 

I was planning on either a 5800 or 5900 and depending on how big navi made out one of them or a 3080. I just purchased a RMx 850 thinking that'd be enough, but this morning I sw that info graphic. 

Is 850w going to be enough? I realize not everything has been tested

It should be just fine. Plenty of headroom to handle the RTX 3800's power spikes. And if you are willing to undervolt, you'll gain even more headroom - some people have seen significant decreases in power consumption with no performance penalty.

Apparently Ryzen 3 is more power efficient than Ryzen 2, and since it doesn't consume much power at all you won't have problems. The 3900X draws as little as the 3700X under load from what I remember. And if you run it in Eco mode you'll see over a 10W reduction in power consumption with no noticeable impact (extrapolating from my 3700X...which admittedly is rarely loaded heavily).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My understanding is part of the issue is while the total average draw of the part is X watts, modern CPUs, and apparently also GPUs now as well, can burst draw power at very high levels for very brief periods, so one can either buy a very high quality PSU or buy a bigger one than the rating requires.  I’ve heard this thousand watt requirement elsewhere as well. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

My understanding is part of the issue is while the total average draw of the part is X watts, modern CPUs, and apparently also GPUs now as well, can burst draw power at very high levels for very brief periods, so one can either buy a very high quality PSU or buy a bigger one than the rating requires.  I’ve heard this thousand watt requirement elsewhere as well. 

Required system power is 750W, with the card rated for 320W (reference). 850W is ample. 1KW maybe if you were running an overclocked i9 10900K as well as overclocking the 3080.

PMSL

21 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Required system power is 750W, with the card rated for 320W (reference). 850W is ample. 1KW maybe if you were running an overclocked i9 10900K as well as overclocking the 3080.

Exactly.  Ignore the fractional second spikes and everything is fine.  It’s something apparently really good PSUs can handle.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Exactly.  Ignore the fractional second spikes and everything is fine.  It’s something apparently really good PSUs can handle.

Some though...I wouldn't trust even if they truly can do 850W safely. My green Corsair CX850M for example - it coil whines badly with even a 650ti, so it'll never be used with expensive hardware.

PMSL