Looking to replace my old Lumia

Magnumenforce

Hi everybody

After almost 7 years of loyal and trusted service, my Nokia Lumia 520 has developed a faulty screen on/off bottom and is therefore heading towards retirement. This means that I have to get a new phone.

What I really want is to have the same exact phone, in regards to size and features, but the market has moved passed that. I had some requirements, but because I still live in a 2014 era of smartphones, I can be flexible on these.

1. I don't want a large phone. Why new phones have to be the sizes of small tablets is a mystery for me. I want a phone to be of similar size to my Lumia 520
  2. I'm not a heavy phone user. I mostly use it for texts and as a mobile hotspot for my other devices (iPad and laptop), so I don't need it to have a big CPU or loads of RAM.
  3. I value high quality and longevity in the things I buy. It might be wishful thinking, but I want it to last for more than five years.
  4. Good battery life is a plus, but isn't a huge deal.
  5. I would prefer that my phone have both headphone jack and removable battery. I know that, that's almost too much to ask for nowadays, but I will be flexible on this.
  6. I would want it to be on the cheaper side (1500 DKK, 200 EUR, 240 USD)

As it is a Windows Phone, I'm not bound by one ecosystem over the other, but due to Apple's Anti Right-to-Repair stance, I would want to avoid spending money with them. I don't care about the camera, 5G connectivity, or USB type C. I would prefer newer phones on the market. I live in Denmark.

I have looked at multiple different models, but is currently leaning more towards it being either, Nokia 1.3, Nokia 5.3, Xiaomi Redmi 9, or Motorola Moto E6 Plus. My reasoning for why I would pick these models is below.

• The Nokia's is more because I have great experiences with them, even tough they are build by another company. The 1.3 is more because of the smaller size and lower price, but the 5.3 seems to be a better deal at the higher price.
  • The Xiaomi is because I have heard good things about them, but knows little about them besides this (in regards to longevity, and solid software platform).
  • Last time I went out looking for a new phone(2014), I kept up getting recommended the Moto G, so I would maybe try Motorola, to see if it is as great a brand it once was. Also the E6 Plus is the only one of these to have removable batteries, but I'm not strict on this.

I'm however open for other suggestions. Which one you recommend me to buy, and why?

I'm looking forward towards the answers.

Current Specs: CPU: Intel I5 4690K, Motherboard: ASUS Z97-AR, RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz, GPU: Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: 3x Seagate Constellation ES 500GB in RAID 5, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Case: Antec LanBoy Air Blue/Black. Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate(2012), Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 1.

I would say the pocophone x3 would suit you very well it's a better redmi 9 in every way and lasts a bit longer on battery life.

Sadly removable batteries are left to the cheapest of the cheapest phone or the odd bluboo or whatever other random brand phone.

All phones are larger nowadays and only the low end is small really. It's stupid and they can perfectly make a small phone that is great but it's not in right now to do so.

Due to how android is going right now it would be smart to get the most recent phone you can get. Google is mandating with android 11 that the software will be updated for 3years and keep security patch support after that till they decide the version of android it's running on is deemed out of support. Also helps to get a more commonly known phone with a bit more power like the nokia 5.3 or the xiaomi you found or the pocophone x3 (also by xiaomi).

Phones are of pretty good quality nowadays. You may want a case because they all like to be fully made of glass now and it sucks when the back shatters. Doesn't impact the phones functionality just kinda sucks. Same for metal phones don't want a dent in those as that does impact things.

The phones I recommended have 2 days of battery life (not the nokia) under normal 2020 people phone use (probably more if you are as you said still in the 2014 mindset).

Headphone jack is still doable but removable battery is sadly just not done anymore. No reason for phones to not have it really just not good for the manufacturers wanting you to buy more phones.

9 hours ago, jaslion said:

I would say the pocophone x3 would suit you very well it's a better redmi 9 in every way and lasts a bit longer on battery life.

This^

And dont worry about the ads, they can all be disabled within 5 minutes.