Repurpose or get rid of old PC

R-1.618

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post, new to the forum here.
I have an old gaming pc which has been collecting dust for a while now. (specs below).

I want to either use it or get rid of it, but selling doesn't really seem like a viable option as the parts would not be worth anything anymore.
Any other ideas of cool things to do with the pc? Would anyone be interested in these legacy parts?

Case:              Antec 1200

Motherboard:  Biostar T-power I45
Processor:      Intel core2duo E8500

RAM:               2x2GB DDR2 - PC2 8500 Reaper

Videocard:      NVidia geforce 9800 GTX (512mb) N1996 (MSI)
It also has an audiocard, not sure what it is, will find out later.

Older systems like that are great for playing retro/older games that don't play well with modern hardware-- I keep a C2D WinXP laptop around for playing the Myst games as the CD-ROM versions really don't play well with Windows 10.

Personally I'd put some distribution of Linux on it and use it for either game streaming via Steam link, or set it up as an emulation device. I don't know if you could get into stuff like Wii emulation on specs like that, but you could possibly run stuff as new as PS2, Gamecube, and Dreamcast (though I've never tried out PS2 emulation myself so I don't know how demanding it is). And obviously older consoles like the NES or Genesis wouldn't be a problem.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

9 minutes ago, R-1.618 said:

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post, new to the forum here.
I have an old gaming pc which has been collecting dust for a while now. (specs below).

I want to either use it or get rid of it, but selling doesn't really seem like a viable option as the parts would not be worth anything anymore.
Any other ideas of cool things to do with the pc? Would anyone be interested in these legacy parts?

This system will sell for about 50$ easily.

Most people would use this a s a retro game system and if you aren't up for that plenty of others are.

You have some nice retro parts like the 9800 gtx in there in a case a LOT of people like. So this would be a very very easy sell for 50$ could easily ask more or you could part it out and get a bit more money.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Most people would use this a s a retro game system and if you aren't up for that plenty of others are.

Exactly what I said I would use a system like that for. $50 for a used PC for that purpose is a pretty fair price if you look at something you could get in its place like a Raspberry PI

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Exactly what I said I would use a system like that for lol

I know just reiterating the point with my own point of that this would easily still sell. However ps2 emulation is not even close to happening on that system. ps1,n64 and such is where it stops.

Just now, jaslion said:

I know just reiterating the point with my own point of that this would easily still sell.

Yeah not trying to come off as rude or anything. It's definitely a good use for an old PC like that.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

16 minutes ago, R-1.618 said:

Unless you need the money, maybe consider gifting it to someone who can't afford one? eg, med student that just needs to write papers, maybe watch up to 1080p video? That sort of thing.

Should easily run W10, and the GPU will take care of video and desktop processing needs. That or some form of Linux if the user is ok with LibreOffice, maybe Xubuntu or Zorin OS?

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

This system will sell for about 50$ easily.

I would almost pay that, certainly at least half that, for the case alone, if OP was nearby.

The system as a whole is a niche thing, though. Not a bad native XP / 7 machine, probably wouldn't even feel old with Linux on an SSD. Maybe modern youtube wouldn't like it.

ethier give it to someone else who needs a computer or use as a old game pc I keep my old windows 7 pc for that reason

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Give it away, maybe throw in a cheap SSD before you do so. Not worth selling or using.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

11 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

Unless you need the money, maybe consider gifting it to someone who can't afford one? eg, med student that just needs to write papers, maybe watch up to 1080p video? That sort of thing.

Should easily run W10, and the GPU will take care of video and desktop processing needs. That or some form of Linux if the user is ok with LibreOffice, maybe Xubuntu or Zorin OS?

Would like to do that, but I am having a hard time finding someone in my area (netherlands - south holland). put the system online several times, but no takers. Any better strategies to find someone?

Just now, R-1.618 said:

Would like to do that, but I am having a hard time finding someone in my area (netherlands - south holland). put the system online several times, but no takers. Any better strategies to find someone?

Ask a local college/university? 

Donate it. Core 2 Duos are still useful for office work.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Good idea on the donating front, since it is probably still capable of basic office tasks. I would really rather donate it to an individual than an institution though. If any of you know someone in the Netherlands who really needs a pc for work/school, let me know (long shot, but who knows).

In the meantime, i'll see if I can find someone as well.