I7 9700 very high temps

Hello guys.I have a problem with my i7 9700 (non k).I bought an Arctic cooler freezer 34 esport duo and my cpu temps are awful.With 100% stress test it goes up to 85C.When i play some games like Gears 5 i see via Afterburner and HW monitor that my temps goes up to 90C and 125W usage.Is that normal for this cpu or should i do something in bios?Btw i have Z370 aorus gaming 5 motherboard. 

10 minutes ago, Aleksandarb977 said:

Hello guys.I have a problem with my i7 9700 (non k).I bought an Arctic cooler freezer 34 esport duo and my cpu temps are awful.With 100% stress test it goes up to 85C.When i play some games like Gears 5 i see via Afterburner and HW monitor that my temps goes up to 90C and 125W usage.Is that normal for this cpu or should i do something in bios?Btw i have Z370 aorus gaming 5 motherboard. 

It's not exceptionally bad - it won't be throttling at those temps. That said, I like to keep my CPUs under 85C at max AVX workloads if possible.

Have you tried re-mounting the cooler, using fresh thermal paste? Something decent, like MX-4, which doesn't cost much will be fine. Also, use HWInfo instead of HWMonitor - it's more reliable for readings. HWMonitor gives incorrect temp data on several of my systems.

1 minute ago, TehDwonz said:

It's not exceptionally bad - it won't be throttling at those temps. That said, I like to keep my CPUs under 85C at max AVX workloads if possible.

Have you tried re-mounting the cooler, using fresh thermal paste? Something decent, like MX-4, which doesn't cost much will be fine. Also, use HWInfo instead of HWMonitor - it's more reliable for readings. HWMonitor gives incorrect temp data on several of my systems.

I tried to repaste with cooler master and with an xm 4 but it didnt work.Also my voltage is 1.30.Is that ok or should i lower it?I just dont want do damage my cpu or mb.

1 minute ago, Aleksandarb977 said:

I tried to repaste with cooler master and with an xm 4 but it didnt work.Also my voltage is 1.30.Is that ok or should i lower it?I just dont want do damage my cpu or mb.

1.3v under full load, right? That's fine. You could undervolt, just do it gradually, and run a full stress-test at each voltage. Use offset mode if your board supports it, rather than setting a specific voltage.

Intel XTU software is fine for testing this without going into UEFI/BIOS.

tried opening up the side panel to see if it's case airflow issue?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

1.3v under full load, right? That's fine. You could undervolt, just do it gradually, and run a full stress-test at each voltage. Use offset mode if your board supports it, rather than setting a specific voltage.

Intel XTU software is fine for testing this without going into UEFI/BIOS.

Ok thank you.Will a 1.20V be fine if pass the stress test or is too low?

Hello my friend. You run this CPU on auto right, just do that. You could try enabling Intel thermal velocity boost (TVB) in bios. Works really great actually.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, Moonzy said:

tried opening up the side panel to see if it's case airflow issue?

Yes but almost no difference because i have 2 fan on cpu cooler and plus 3 front 2 up and 1 back cooler.My gpu never exceded 70C.

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Hello my friend. You run this CPU on auto right, just do that. You could try enabling Intel thermal velocity boost (TVB) in bios. Works really great actually.

Il try that.Thank you :)

2 minutes ago, Aleksandarb977 said:

Yes but almost no difference because i have 2 fan on cpu cooler and plus 3 front 2 up and 1 back cooler.My gpu never exceded 70C.

how tight is the cooler mounted

is the heatsink cold/warm/hot to the touch?

that said

Spoiler

Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler Review - Page 3 of 4 - FunkyKit

it's about what you're getting, though an OC

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

how tight is the cooler mounted

is the heatsink cold/warm/hot to the touch?

that said

Reveal hidden contents

Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler Review - Page 3 of 4 - FunkyKit

it's about what you're getting, though an OC

Its hot. 

13 minutes ago, Aleksandarb977 said:

Ok thank you.Will a 1.20V be fine if pass the stress test or is too low?

Going too low won't harm it, it will just crash. If you use XTU software without "set on boot" ticked, you can just try again after a reboot. Once you find a stable voltage, you can set it in UEFI/BIOS.

XTU has a stress test built-in, so run that, or you could use Techpowerup's PowerMAX software to run full SSE (gaming) and separate AVX workloads - but the AVX option generates a lot of heat, so maybe keep an eye on temps if you use that. On air cooling, I would not be surprised to see PowerMAX go over 90C with AVX on an air-cooled setup.

1 hour ago, Aleksandarb977 said:

Its hot. 

You could try reseating the cooler. Remove thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol or a lint free cloth. 

Check mounting standoffs, should be very tight before screwing in the cooler. 

image.png.3c07c4ac0616ba4ccfd5a8698ef75452.png

When tightning the screws, do it in a x pattern - make sure that it is tight enough. As tight as you can without breaking the thread.

image.png.99a49d0fb937e3ce36c0aab1107b0091.png 

If you use thermal paste directly on the cpu. (this is easier than putting it on cooler), then do it like this:

Use a blob about this size and then simply place the cooler on top, don't spread as the cooler will do that:

image.png.d745bf593b4069364c73a29336c97a46.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

38 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

Going too low won't harm it, it will just crash. If you use XTU software without "set on boot" ticked, you can just try again after a reboot. Once you find a stable voltage, you can set it in UEFI/BIOS.

XTU has a stress test built-in, so run that, or you could use Techpowerup's PowerMAX software to run full SSE (gaming) and separate AVX workloads - but the AVX option generates a lot of heat, so maybe keep an eye on temps if you use that. On air cooling, I would not be surprised to see PowerMAX go over 90C with AVX on an air-cooled setup.

I tried AVX stress and it didnt exceded 80C also my HW monitor showed 85C.I wanted to lower my voltage but its grayed out and i could't do in bios either it just stays on auto i tried enter but nothing happens. 

Just now, Aleksandarb977 said:

I tried AVX stress and it didnt exceded 80C also my HW monitor showed 85C.I wanted to lower my voltage but its grayed out and i could't do in bios either it just stays on auto i tried enter but nothing happens. 

Yeah, it's possible that the voltage can't be changed with a non-K Intel CPU. As a final last-hope, you could try "Throttlestop" (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/) and see if it will allow you to drop the voltage. Don't mess with the other settings though. If that doesn't drop the voltage, nothing will without a BIOS mod or hardware mod.

Please try HWInfo instead of HWMonitor too, as it will tell us if HWMonitor is accurate on your system.

3 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

Yeah, it's possible that the voltage can't be changed with a non-K Intel CPU. As a final last-hope, you could try "Throttlestop" (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/) and see if it will allow you to drop the voltage. Don't mess with the other settings though. If that doesn't drop the voltage, nothing will without a BIOS mod or hardware mod.

Please try HWInfo instead of HWMonitor too, as it will tell us if HWMonitor is accurate on your system.

Thanks il try that.I tried HW info and it was 80C like in AVX test.I will not look at Afterburner and Hwmonotor anymore..