RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 2800mhz 8g X2 slot 2,4 slot location, XMP profile 1

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-750, 750W 80+ Gold

Case: NZXT H500

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro Version 2004

GPU Drivers: Amd Adrenalin 20.10.1

Chipset Drivers: Default chipset drivers

Background Applications: Discord, Firefox, Thief(2014), Furmark

Description of Original Problem:

For the past two months during particularly demanding games my Asus strix Vega 64 will crash to a black screen with the fans ramping to 100%. All audio including discord audio will play for a bit and then stop and a hard restart is required. Running furmark shows that the Graphics card isnt running at full speed during the gpu burn-in test with the card running at less the 1000mhz and the temps not reaching higher than 65c. Further more if i minimize the window, clocks will go to full speed(1630mhz) and reopening the window causes the same crash.

Troubleshooting:

I've tried updating the bios,Updating Vbios,Re-seating the gpu,Replacing the thermal paste, replacing the powersupply with a Corsair 750w, using seperate power rails for both 8-pin power connectors, updating Amd Display drivers, Downgrading Amd display drivers, Using Enterprise drivers,and messing with the power limit+/-.

9 hours ago, linkolead said:

Running furmark shows that the Graphics card isnt running at full speed during the gpu burn-in test with the card running at less the 1000mhz and the temps not reaching higher than 65c. Further more if i minimize the window, clocks will go to full speed(1630mhz) and reopening the window causes the same crash.

This seems to point to the video card as prime suspect.

You might create a new windows profile and boot into that profile for testing. This helps eliminate settings and background apps.

Otherwise can you put this GPU into another system for testing by chance?

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

I checked the thermal paste I had previously put on for a third time and almost a quater of the die wasnt covered in paste. I assume I over tightened the mounting screws  which is what was causing the crashing. The card now draws the full 260w with the card ramping to full fan speed at 75c, but still doesnt reach full clocks in furmark. Shadow of the tombraider benchmark however  showed full core clock speed  with no issues.  In anycase it seems the crashing issue is resolved for now.

17 minutes ago, linkolead said:

In anycase it seems the crashing issue is resolved for now.

Well that's good to hear.

Good job on finding the issue yourself. 🙂

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.