sould i use an old 2 gb ram with 8 gb ram

Go to solution Solved by aDoomGuy,
1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

do you need more ram though? seems like a slight hassle where none is needed, and honestly you could very cheaply get a second 8GB dimm online and get some easy dual channel operation, after which you would want to ditch the 2GB dimm anyway.

I believe OP was pointing out that the ram is indeed running at 1333, as opposed to 1600.

I'm not sure.. earlier he said that..

bit i canot use my 8 gb ram at 1600mhz because of the limitation of my cpu

i am using an i5 2400 with zebronics h61 motherboard ; my motherboard supports 1600mhz ram but my cpu only supports 1333mhz no iamusing an corasir vengance 8 gigs 1600mhz single channel memmory . should i add 2 gigs of 1333mhz ram in it? will it make a large amount of difference in perfomance

1 minute ago, AGENT_PRIME_YT said:

i am using an i5 2400 with zebronics h61 motherboard ; my motherboard supports 1600mhz ram but my cpu only supports 1333mhz no iamusing an corasir vengance 8 gigs 1600mhz single channel memmory . should i add 2 gigs of 1333mhz ram in it? will it make a large amount of difference in perfomance

I would not recommend. If your old ram is running at a slower speed then the fast new ram will be capped at the lower speed for stability. You are not using the full potential of the new ram sticks.

1 minute ago, Harshvardhan said:

I would not recommend. If your old ram is running at a slower speed then the fast new ram will be capped at the lower speed for stability. You are not using the full potential of the new ram sticks.

bit i canot use my 8 gb ram at 1600mhz because of the limitation of my cpu so i can use an 2 gb 1333mhz ram to run both my ram at 1333mhz

2 minutes ago, AGENT_PRIME_YT said:

bit i canot use my 8 gb ram at 1600mhz because of the limitation of my cpu so i can use an 2 gb 1333mhz ram to run both my ram at 1333mhz

That will not be a problem. System will automatically run the ram at max supported speed. I don't recommend using ram sticks of different speed and size like that... but you can though.

1 minute ago, Harshvardhan said:

That will not be a problem. System will automatically run the ram at max supported speed. I don't recommend using ram sticks of different speed and size like that... but you can though.

why my cpu-z showing half the freq my ram is running it is showing that my ram is running at 665mhz 

1 minute ago, AGENT_PRIME_YT said:

why my cpu-z showing half the freq my ram is running it is showing that my ram is running at 665mhz 

Yes, but you have DDR (dual data rate) so your effective speed is twice that. As for your original question... 2 gigs wont do you much good. I'd rather see if I could get another similar 8gb stick used for cheap.

do you need more ram though? seems like a slight hassle where none is needed, and honestly you could very cheaply get a second 8GB dimm online and get some easy dual channel operation, after which you would want to ditch the 2GB dimm anyway.

1 minute ago, aDoomGuy said:

Yes, but you have DDR (dual data rate) so your effective speed is twice that

I believe OP was pointing out that the ram is indeed running at 1333, as opposed to 1600.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

it is runnimng at 1333 because my processor only supports ram freq upto 1333mhz

I'm not sure.. earlier he said that..

bit i canot use my 8 gb ram at 1600mhz because of the limitation of my cpu

34 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I'm not sure.. earlier he said that

Yep, 665 being the sdr for 1333 as opposed to 800 for 1600

Also based on the motherboard it might have a hybrid ram mode that allows dual channel up to 4GB and then single channel above 4GB which would be interesting

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad