Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Remastered 4k releases, a simple question

I'm going to preface this by saying I'm using the generic term of "DVD" for optical media of all types.

Every now and then movie studios put out a "4k remastered!" version of some obscure or classic film. The restoration work is very nicely done, and clear they've put effort into it (for the most part, the GunHed transfer to DVD was shyte)

I'm assuming the studios are working from the original film to do this, and using some kind of black magic or voodoo to make it look good.

Anyone with any experience in this process know how it's done, or what software (if software is involved) is used? I'm also going to assume it's not as simple as throwing an existing DVD into a computer and pushing the "4k remaster it" button.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

They are, usually, taking the source (film or magnetic tape) and transfering it to digital using the best tech available.

A regular film (by that I mean film or magnetic tape) usually has enough clarity to be clearly transfered to 5K or even 8K.

And once they transfer it to digital, most of them touch it up using computers, removing artifacts and/or improving the special effects, usually frame by frame.

So it does include using special machinery, computers and a lot of time.

They scan the original film negative. Here is a good overview

There is no magic needed. Most movies were shot on 35mm film which is roughly equivalent to 4K resolution. That means were are only now seeing these movies in their full quality.

4 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

?? Film and magnetic tape are two completely different things.

Sorry, language barrier.

29 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm assuming the studios are working from the original film to do this, and using some kind of black magic or voodoo to make it look good.

As @dilpickle noted, most of the older films that are re-released as 4K BluRays aren't upscaled so long as the studio still has the original 35mm film stored in a vault somewhere, because 35mm film hold far more information than we've ever really been able to extract from it prior to 4K resolution TVs becoming affordable for regular consumers.

Movies that we no longer have the original 35mm film for or that were shot using a different medium can sometimes be upscaled using many, many hours of manually teaching an AI to perform the upscaling for us. https://www.engadget.com/2020-02-04-how-ai-helped-upscale-an-antique-1896-film-to-4k.html

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell - Unlimited Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | HP Touchpad | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

-> Moved to Home Theater Equipment

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Home Theater Equipment

Whoops, sorry about that, didn't even consider that forum.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

58 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Whoops, sorry about that, didn't even consider that forum.

Don't worry, this could have been in couple.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If only DLSS (2.0) would work on movies it would be great.

... but I'm no expert