Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Solved] Intermittent network connection. Devices not working properly.

Problem description: I've been having network issues for about 2 weeks now. I have intermittent connectivity across all of my devices. Some of my wired devices are fine, but some are not. All of my wired devices go in and out constantly. Pages load slow, sometimes not at all. Downloads will fail half way through if they even manage to start. Game pings will fluctuate wildly until eventually completely disconnecting. My smart speakers constantly say they are having problems or are reconnecting to WIFI. My computers that are working correctly get around 300-350mb/s download speed and the ones that don't get between 100-250mb/s.

ISP: Comcast

Network Hardware:

• Modem: Netgear CM1000
  • Router: tp-link TL-R600VPN
  • Access Point: AC1750

Troubleshooting steps taken:

• Completely new Router and Access Point.
  • Reset modem multiple times.
  • Switch router to google DNS
  • Change WIFI channel.
  • Run an ethernet cable to a previously wireless machine.

If anyone could help me figure out the issue that would be great. Any suggestions or questions they would be greatly appreciated. Comcast and tech support haven't been very helpful up to this point.

26 minutes ago, foxrumor2 said:

ny suggestions or questions they would be greatly appreciated. Comcast and tech support haven't been very helpful up to this point.

Go to 192.168.100.1 in a web browser. Check your signals tab and your logs. 

Was there dairy in that? ***30 min later**** Yep..... You might want to let it air out for a bit.....😂😂😂😂😂😂

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Go to 192.168.100.1 in a web browser. Check your signals tab and your logs. 

Here's what it showed in the logs and the connection stats.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.05312809b1f86f4c1dddd80412925df4.pngimage.thumb.png.a30796eed42d25d21e4b9b9f6e3c4ac0.pngimage.thumb.png.32288477f3e87a63595027b4332b2c5f.png

11 minutes ago, foxrumor2 said:

Here's what it showed in the logs and the connection stats.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.05312809b1f86f4c1dddd80412925df4.pngimage.thumb.png.a30796eed42d25d21e4b9b9f6e3c4ac0.pngimage.thumb.png.32288477f3e87a63595027b4332b2c5f.png

Your signals look fine. The Logs are interesting but not sure how to interpret those readings. With the fact that some of your devices seem to work, Im going to start looking at other things. You replaced the router, which seems kinda odd that the new one has the same issues. Where there any changes when this started? Like new devices added to your network? 

Was there dairy in that? ***30 min later**** Yep..... You might want to let it air out for a bit.....😂😂😂😂😂😂

Just now, Donut417 said:

Your signals look fine. The Logs are interesting but not sure how to interpret those readings. With the fact that some of your devices seem to work, Im going to start looking at other things. You replaced the router, which seems kinda odd that the new one has the same issues. Where there any changes when this started? Like new devices added to your network? 

There weren't really any changes that I'm aware of. I have 3 computers and a lot of smart home gear. At first I thought something might be having an issue and transferring a large amount of data, but looking at my throughput on my router, it doesn't seem to be peaking at all.

The devices that are working better still seems to have occasional issues.
At first I thought it might be a wireless only problem, but I ran a wire to one of my laptops and that one continued to have issues, even over a wired connection.

The only thing I can think that I added somewhat recently was a new Nest doorbell, but that was about a couple weeks before I started having problems.

7 minutes ago, foxrumor2 said:

There weren't really any changes that I'm aware of. I have 3 computers and a lot of smart home gear. At first I thought something might be having an issue and transferring a large amount of data, but looking at my throughput on my router, it doesn't seem to be peaking at all.

The devices that are working better still seems to have occasional issues.
At first I thought it might be a wireless only problem, but I ran a wire to one of my laptops and that one continued to have issues, even over a wired connection.

The only thing I can think that I added somewhat recently was a new Nest doorbell, but that was about a couple weeks before I started having problems.

If all the devices dont have issues at once then it has to be an internal issue some where. Just not sure where. 

@foxrumor2

1. Have you power-cycled the router?
  2. Do you have any security features running on the router that might be consuming CPU resources? E.g. deep packet inspection or intrusion detection systems?
  3. Are you running a VPN connection on the router?
  4. Have you tried resetting the router firmware back to factory defaults?
  5. Have you upgraded to the latest firmware for your router?

I believe I have found the issue. My brand new network switch T1600G-28PS (completely forgot to list it in my hardware list) appears to have failed. I was getting an error 501 when trying to get into the admin panel. I plugged my access point directly into my router and wireless devices started working normally again. I'm going to contact TP-Link when they are open and see if they can help fix it or send me a new one. 

They helped me log into it and perform a firmware update. Things seems to be working correctly now.