Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help! Terrible home setup that needs improving!

Go to solution Solved by Ubuntu is love,
On 10/25/2020 at 8:39 PM, OneCatTwoRabbits said:

1. The Requirements/What I want

• A file server that supports Windows, macOS and Linux
  • A Plex server with access to my Hauppage winTV Dual HD tuner. All video data should be stored on the file server ideally. Should be able to use hardware transcoding if possible.
  • A container/vm that hosts my Unifi controller
  • Optionally a container/vm to host a minecraft server and discord bot

The hardware should support all of this. Maybe your cpu is a little weak if multiple people are using the plex server at the same time. And you could use some more memory and a better disk setup.

But look into a hypervisors as host OS (Type 1), that supports containers and virtual machines. Something like proxmox.

https://www.how2shout.com/tools/8-free-best-open-source-bare-metal-hypervisors-foss.html

Hello There people!

I come seeking help (this is the best place I could come up with to get help) regarding my server situation.

• A Plex server with access to my Hauppage winTV Dual HD tuner. All video data should be stored on the file server ideally. Should be able to use hardware transcoding if possible.

Must run on one machine (specs below)

2. The Current Setup

The current setup is a proxmox server with containers for the Discord Bot, Minecraft Serever (offline) and Unifi as well as an Ubuntu Server VM for Plex with the tuner and the iGPU (i think) passed through. I have a freenas vm I was tooling around with offline right now.

The server's specs:

• Core i5 4590
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1x 128gb SSD
  • 1x 500gb HDD
  • 1x 1tb HDD
  • 1x 1.5tb HDD
  • 1x Radeon R7 260x
  • 1x Hauppage WinTV DualHD tuner

3. Important information

• I have zero budget to upgrade this server. It's been thrown together with used parts and old junk that I've had lying around. It's a zombie. This also includes networking equipment. I'm a student with no money!
  • It has to be relatively simple to get running (minimal command line if possible, but I'm ok getting my hands messy)
  • Windows Server is not an option.

The aim is to have a system that runs our plex server well, has a file server that we can easily add content to plex, as well as back up the various machines around the house to (just the documents and pictures folders) and can keep the unifi controller working. Time Machine support for my mac would be a bonus.

Thank you in advance!

my god i'm a noob at this stuff...

On 10/25/2020 at 8:39 PM, OneCatTwoRabbits said:

The hardware should support all of this. Maybe your cpu is a little weak if multiple people are using the plex server at the same time. And you could use some more memory and a better disk setup.

But look into a hypervisors as host OS (Type 1), that supports containers and virtual machines. Something like proxmox.

https://www.how2shout.com/tools/8-free-best-open-source-bare-metal-hypervisors-foss.html