PC won't turn on when case's front usb-c header cable is plugged into the motherboard.

JacketyJack4
  • NZXT H710i
  • ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
  • 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz RAM
  • Ryzen 7 3700x
  • GTX 1080

The title says it all, when the case's front side usb c cable header is plugged into the motherboard I can't get any power to the PC. With it powered down, my PSU gives off power because I can see the LEDs light up on the mobo even before powering on.

It all started today when I wanted to finally get around to seeing why my front usb c port never worked, I wasn't sure if it was a Windows problem or if I just plugged something in to the incorrect port.

So I took it open and just looked around, didn't touch a thing, noticed that everything was where it should be. I thought maybe it wasn't sitting correctly in the port, so I took it out, inspected it, saw that it looked clean, and plugged it back in. Then the problem started.

Well I just found out if I don't have it plugged in my PC gets power no problem.

Its just the USB-C thats not working?

Are you sure you are plugging the connector into the correct pins?

Any chance you can post pics?

It does sound like that USB-C connecvtion is cause a no power/post, however its easy to plug things into the wrong place sometimes.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

15 minutes ago, MrCJLambert said:

That's very strange. What PSU are you using?

Corsair RM650 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

8 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

Its just the USB-C thats not working?

Are you sure you are plugging the connector into the correct pins?

Any chance you can post pics?

It does sound like that USB-C connecvtion is cause a no power/post, however its easy to plug things into the wrong place sometimes.

Correct, JUST the usb-c front side port.

Yes I am correct its the proper port as it's the only one on my motherboard for it.

Sure can, give me a few minutes to edit this post with pics.

IMG_4458.JPEG

IMG_4459.JPEG

IMG_4460.JPEG

IMG_4461.JPEG

Edited by JacketyJack4
pics

5 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

The connector is probably damaged.

Ugh, I just would love to know which connector, the mobo's or the cable

4 minutes ago, JacketyJack4 said:

Ugh, I just would love to know which connector, the mobo's or the cable

Yeah. You would have to try a different mobo or case to narrow it down. Odds are its the case.

Just to be 100% sure are you plugging the cable in the right way. I know its keyed but sometimes they still can be forced in wrong

Just now, dilpickle said:

Yeah. You would have to try a different mobo or case to narrow it down. Odds are its the case.

My first thought was maybe buy one of these to test without having to take a pc apart.

They both look ok physically.

Are you sure you are plugging it in the correct way?

It only goes in one way.

If so, can you pull the cable/panel out and plug it into another system for testing?

Since all works fine with it unplugged, i would be its the cable, or front panel connector itself.

Unplug it and leave it?

I think plugging it into another mobo for testing is your best bet to narrow it down. Assuming it wasnt being plugged in the wrong direction. 🙂

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

Just now, JacketyJack4 said:

My first thought was maybe buy one of these to test without having to take a pc apart.

Thats a decent option also.

Family machines

37 minutes ago, JacketyJack4 said:

ashamed to say

No shame, most everyone has done it at some point.

Thats why we suggest the tsing step.

At least you were big enough to admit it. 🙂

And fixed is fixed, good job.

Family machines

• 4 months later...

Just to add to this, because I had the same problem and found this thread while searching for a solution:

In my case the connector on the cable was labelled incorrectly, so it didn't work because I put it in as the little arrows on the motherboard and the connector suggested. Putting it in the "wrong" way solved the problem. It's a Phanteks case.

• 1 year later...

I signed up just to reply to this topic as I can confirm the same issue AND same resolution on an ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro WiFi II where the header had an arrow that I matched with my front panel cable. When plugged in it would keep the board from powering up. I found this thread and revered the connection at the header and sure enough, the board powers up and I have USB-c use on my front panel.

I also own a Phanteks case Enthoo 719

Crazy but true.

THANKS!!!

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to add in, that i also had the same problem of pc not starting, only for half a second. the cases usb-c cable has the arrow in the wrong place. i lined it up with the motherboards arrows. once i turned it around it booted up like normal.