pc keeps crashing dram light come on the MB

casper321

Hi my pc keeps crashing and going to a black screen then the dram light come on the MB , then after a-few minutes it boots back up then happens all over again. at first i thought it as faulty ram so i tried running it with with just one stick then the other stick and i had the same problem. then i tried updating all the bios of the MB same problem. i have had the pc for 7 months running fine till the cpu broke about a week ago witch i have replaced and it ran fine for the first few days till this started happening any help or ideas would be much appreciated. thanks 

3 minutes ago, casper321 said:

Hi my pc keeps crashing and going to a black screen then the dram light come on the MB , then after a-few minutes it boots back up then happens all over again. at first i thought it as faulty ram so i tried running it with with just one stick then the other stick and i had the same problem. then i tried updating all the bios of the MB same problem. i have had the pc for 7 months running fine till the cpu broke about a week ago witch i have replaced and it ran fine for the first few days till this started happening any help or ideas would be much appreciated. thanks 

maybe the dead CPU damaged the board and socket!

have you messed with the voltage on the dead one?

1 minute ago, Alireza said:

Have you tried it with a different kit of RAM? Was the CPU physically damaged when it died? I'd try remounting the CPU and checking the board for any bent pins.

no i left it how it came and didn't change anything 

no i have not tried it with a different ram kit, ill try that when i get a hold of some. no i dont think it as physically damaged i think it had just over heated one to meany times  

i know this is a stupid question but i would need new thermal paste if i took my cpu out to check those things? 

10 minutes ago, Alireza said:

no i left it how it came and didn't change anything 

one of my friends had the same problem

he just changed the motherboard and it went great

but he was dealing a lot with voltage and killed the cpu too

3 minutes ago, casper321 said:

i know this is a stupid question but i would need new thermal paste if i took my cpu out to check those things? 

get a stress test for an hoar and monitor thermal with aida64 

but yes

you need new thermal paste

You sure it was the CPU that went bad previously and not the mobo?

If so, it does sound like the mobo was damaged also.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

3 minutes ago, Alireza said:

get a stress test for an hoar and monitor thermal with aida64 

but yes

you need new thermal paste

ok i will go check if i have some bent pins and if i dont ill order my self a new mother board and see if that works. thanks for your help 

1 minute ago, cr8tor said:

You sure it was the CPU that went bad previously and not the mobo?

If so, it does sound like the mobo was damaged also.

i was 100% sure it was that but ill get my self a new mobo and try that and hopefully that fixes it. thanks 

2 minutes ago, casper321 said:

hopefully that fixes it. thanks 

Agreed, i sounds like the right choice at this point. Good luck. Let us know how it goes if you think about it.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

On 10/25/2020 at 4:53 PM, cr8tor said:

Agreed, i sounds like the right choice at this point. Good luck. Let us know how it goes if you think about it.

thank you very much for your help it was the mobo

On 10/31/2020 at 6:23 PM, casper321 said:

thank you very much for your help it was the mobo

Thanks for the follow up!

Glad to know you got it resolved though too. 

Best of luck with it.

Live long and prosper!

Family machines