Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How effective would a Raspberry Pi NAS be for file backups?

Hello everyone,

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine had a hard drive die on him causing him to lose 1 tb of family photos, school documents, etc.. Ever since then I've been very conscious about how little I back anything up, and how much I have to lose on my hard drives, but I do want to change that. Because times are tough I've been looking for cheap NAS set ups and I've stumbled across using a Raspberry pi 4 with some hard drives to run in RAID 1? I'm not looking for the highest performance machine here, I'll probably be streaming 4k video from it at most, but my main focus is having some 2tb of storage to back up to so everyone in the house can also look at our family photos from their own computers. So I simply want to ask, what are the best Pi NAS tutorials I can watch, is this the best course of action considering I'm very new to all this, and if there are better set ups I can go with for what I am wanting to achieve?

Thank you,

Wisex

well for someone that runs his main nas off of a raspberry pi i would say its enough

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

46 minutes ago, mahyar said:

well for someone that runs his main nas off of a raspberry pi i would say its enough

Are there any youtube videos/articles you might recommend for setting one up?

1 minute ago, wisex said:

Are there any youtube videos/articles you might recommend for setting one up?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

I will suggest to set up a samba share on a regular rasbian lite , this way you can still use your raspberry as you normally would (running bots or stuff like that).

I'm definely not an expert so maybe someone will point out that this approach sucks🙃 but as far as i'm concerned it works fine.