Help! Loud pop and instant shutoff

Markz2137

My PC was built back in April and has been working fine up until 2 days ago once I moved it between houses (in box and GPU removed).

it was working fine at the new house until suddenly there was a loud pop and the system instantly shut off. I assumed it was a faulty plug as there was no smell or signs of damage so I unplugged it and plugged it into another wall plug. This worked and it was running fine again for 2 days then another loud pop, this time it tripped the breaker. I stupidly unplugged the system and took it to another side of the house (as I assumed it was to do with the circuit being overloaded) this time as soon as I plugged it in a switched on the switch (on the PSU) there was a large spark out the back of the computer and again the power in the house tripped.

the power supply is a Corsair TX750M

any advice would be much appreciated and I expect this will be a very expensive repair 

Replace the power supply.

Sounds like it died or something killed it.

You might also share your PC specs so we can verify that wattage is enough.

Sounds like it might be a good investment to look into a batter backup. They provide power filtering along with the battery backup capabilities. 

If your house power has issues, and some do, a UPS will protect your components.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

What are the specs of the system? Could possibly be an issue with the PSU not being able to handle the draw of the other components. What were you doing at the time of these loud pops/bands? (EG: Benchmarking, Gaming, On Windows Desktop ect). Personally I'd recommend going to an 80+ Gold PSU at minimum when building any PC, They're a little more money but can be a worthy and sometimes invaluable investment.

10 minutes ago, Markz2137 said:

My PC was built back in April and has been working fine up until 2 days ago once I moved it between houses (in box and GPU removed).

it was working fine at the new house until suddenly there was a loud pop and the system instantly shut off. I assumed it was a faulty plug as there was no smell or signs of damage so I unplugged it and plugged it into another wall plug. This worked and it was running fine again for 2 days then another loud pop, this time it tripped the breaker. I stupidly unplugged the system and took it to another side of the house (as I assumed it was to do with the circuit being overloaded) this time as soon as I plugged it in a switched on the switch (on the PSU) there was a large spark out the back of the computer and again the power in the house tripped.

the power supply is a Corsair TX750M

any advice would be much appreciated and I expect this will be a very expensive repair 

Replace the psu and if you plan to upgrade to a 30 series gpu or if you have a cup that pulls alot of power e.g. 10th gen i9 or threadripper go to a 1000 watt psu.

12 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

Replace the power supply.

Sounds like it died or something killed it.

You might also share your PC specs so we can verify that wattage is enough.

Sounds like it might be a good investment to look into a batter backup. They provide power filtering along with the battery backup capabilities. 

If your house power has issues, and some do, a UPS will protect your components.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B450-PRO

GPU: MSI NVIDIA Geforce RT 2080 Super

RAM: Corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz 32 GB (4 x 8 GB)

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V7S500)

12 minutes ago, MrCJLambert said:

What are the specs of the system? Could possibly be an issue with the PSU not being able to handle the draw of the other components. What were you doing at the time of these loud pops/bands? (EG: Benchmarking, Gaming, On Windows Desktop ect). Personally I'd recommend going to an 80+ Gold PSU at minimum when building any PC, They're a little more money but can be a worthy and sometimes invaluable investment.

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V7S500)

Was watching YouTube the first time and doing work the second time, the PC wasn’t under load.

in fact in between the first and second pop I had the PC under load playing games on ultra settings and it ran fine

1 minute ago, Markz2137 said:

Was watching YouTube the first time and doing work the second time, the PC wasn’t under load.

in fact in between the first and second pop I had the PC under load playing games on ultra settings and it ran fine

First of all I'd definately recommend getting that PSU replaced. You'll be wanting to go with something that has 80+ Gold rating next time like the RM series from Corsair (I personally use them and have never had an issue. I'd also suggest possibly going for an 850W PSU. 750W should be able to handle your system but it doesn't hurt to have a bit more overhead :)

4 minutes ago, Markz2137 said:

You should be good on power, sounds like your new house might have power issues or this is a coincidence.

Hope the power supply to the brunt of the damage and nothing else was killed.

Let us know how it goes with a new power supply.

You might also look into a battery backup for filtering needs.

You can also buy cheap receptacle tester and check the house.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Receptacle+Tester&ref=nb_sb_noss

It wont find every issue, but will let you know if there is a wiring problem.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

17 hours ago, cr8tor said:

You should be good on power, sounds like your new house might have power issues or this is a coincidence.

Hope the power supply to the brunt of the damage and nothing else was killed.

Let us know how it goes with a new power supply.

You might also look into a battery backup for filtering needs.

You can also buy cheap receptacle tester and check the house.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Receptacle+Tester&ref=nb_sb_noss

It wont find every issue, but will let you know if there is a wiring problem.

I’m receiving my new PSU tomorrow, spent a little more for the 80+ gold rating. Do you think it will be safe/ sensible to plug it in straight away to make sure everything else in the system is still working or should I wait until I can get ahold of a battery backup?

Maybe test the outlet with something cheap like a light. It it works fine, then you should be fine.

Its hard to say, there are all sorts of issues that could crop up if your power source has issues.

If it was me, i would test with another device like a light, and then plug it in and see how it goes.

If a light flickers or doesnt seem quite right, get an outlet tester.

Family machines