Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[COMPLETE] Forum Update - Saturday 31st October 2020, 10:00 UTC

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:
  • You can now configure whether clicking a topic title takes you to the start of the topic or the first unread post (although the star/bullet button already allowed you to do that)
  • You now get notified when your post is marked as the best answer
  • Quotes will be limited to a few lines, with a "show more" button to reveal the rest

Only 6 years late that last one.

5 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

The forum will go offline for maintenance on Saturday 31st October, starting at 10:00 UTC - in your computer's time zone, that's 2/8/2020, 5:30:00 AM

Something about that date just doesn't seem right to me. Not sure why...

Excited for the new changes though! I've always thought it was annoying how much it clutters up comments when quoting a longer post.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

7 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

2/8/2020, 12:30:00 PM

The "your timezone" widget is broken :D

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 minutes ago, Levent said:

Only 6 years late that last one.

Gosh finally automated -snip- that sure as hell took an eternity.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
13 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Excited for the new changes though! I've always thought it was annoying how much it clutters up comments when quoting a longer post.

Oops, I copied the script from the previous update without updating the date :/

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

Oops, I copied the script from the previous update without updating the date :/

You also forgot to adjust it for non-US time zones, like Europe and Asia, where a different, more logical date notation is used ;)

funny-day-month-year-date-America.jpg.f5efd129674896ddb16ccdc05c5e7515.jpg

😂

(can't remember where I got this from, but I didn't make it for sure!)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 hour ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

(and inevitably plenty of newly introduced bugs)

Way ahead of schedule

11 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

You also forgot to adjust it for non-US time zones, like Europe and Asia, where a different, more logical date notation is used ;)

😂

It should format the date according to the locale settings in your browser - if it's using the clearly inferior mm/dd/yyyy format, try changing your browser's language from en-us to en-gb (or some other european locale) if it's not already.

HTTP/2 203

so how long will it take for forum to get back online?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

4 minutes ago, mahyar said:

so how long will it take for forum to get back online?

:/ I messed up my script a second time. It should last about an hour.

HTTP/2 203

• Quotes will be limited to a few lines, with a "show more" button to reveal the rest

Nice! No more having to manually delete stuff and type "-snip-"

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.20 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB / 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e (Android 10)

28 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Nice! No more having to manually delete stuff and type "-snip-"

You can still do that if you like, or like I'm doing now only select the portion of the post that you wish to reply to rather than the entire post.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

As well as a long list of bug fixes (and inevitably plenty of newly introduced bugs), there are a few user-facing changes coming in this update:

Will everything form the beta forum be brought over or only parts of it?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 hour ago, zeusthemoose said:

There are a few things that are just configuration differences because I didn't make the settings exactly the same between the two sites, and a few where I have deliberately changed things to focus the testing (such as default night theme), but for the most part the changes you see will be brought over.

HTTP/2 203

9 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

that's 31/10/2020, 23:00:00.

Perfect timing

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G / Sapphire R9 290X / 16gb (2x8) Kingston ValueRam @ 2666Mhz / Gigabyte A320M-S2H / Kingston A400 120GB M.2 SSD / WD Blue 2.5" 1TB HDD / Cooler Master MWE450 / Aerocool CS-100 / LG 22MK400H-B 1920x1080 @ 75Hz

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

or like I'm doing now only select the portion of the post that you wish to reply to rather than the entire post.

I prefer this method and with the Quote Selection option it makes things a lot easier, however one could also spoiler inside the quote too to hide the contents.

11 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

😂

The Month-Day-Year always bugged me, Days are more frequent than Months why wouldn't you put it first?

So when I do Day Month Year, I now know I'm at least doing it in a sane way.

For Japanese it makes sense since they technically read backwards compared to us English speakers for books anyways.

8 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

beta fourm?

want to install chrome os? here's how.

"If elevators hadn't been invented, all the CEOs and important people would have their offices on the first floor as a sign of status...........

....And the entry level employees would be up on the 80th floor."

WHY?? WHY ON MY BIRTHDAY??? aw man i cant visit the forum on my birthday :(

YES, I RUN RAID 1 OVER RAID 0

REMEBER TO QUOTE 😜 

The topic of why the US uses MM-DD-YYYY (or middle endianness) is actually really fascinating. The short answer is nobody knows why its done this way.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

19 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

• You now get notified when your post is marked as the best answer

Aww yeah

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

5 hours ago, TheCoverUp said:

beta fourm?

https://beta.linustechtips.com
The beta site is a version of the forum that has had these changes up for a little while so users can test it for bugs and give feedback. The admins have been fixing all these bugs and making changes based on the feedback before updating the actual forum.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

21 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Alright.....

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!