Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC turns it self on immediately after shutting down

Interesting and annoying problem that I haven’t ever seen before and I could really use some help

I recently upgraded my mobo, power supply and AIO. After it booted properly I went to shut it down and immediately when it did the pc turned itself back on again. Moments before shutting off the fans ramped up. 

I have updated the bios, and I’ve needed around with the limited power settings in it. I’ve also messed around with the windows power settings and eventually did a fresh install. But the problem is still present. I have even took the ram sticks out and replaced them in the slots to make sure it wasn’t them. 

My specs are:

intel 8700k

Gigabyte aorus 390 pro wifi (upgraded from a gigabyte Z370 HD3)

32 gb 3200 ram (gskill and PNY)

Evga 2080 super 

boot drive is a 1TB sn750 

Z63 Kraken AIO (upgraded from an older Corsair AIO)

850 watt Powerspec (upgraded from a 1000watt off brand psu)

any help you all can give would be much appreciated 

I also had this problem a while back. I'm not sure what causes this but I replaced the motherboard and that fixed it,

Oh here’s an update. The pc will stay shut down if and only if I hold the power button to force a shutdown. 

reseat your power supply connection to the motherboard.

Disconnect it, inspect the pins on both sides for damage or foreign material that might be causing an improper connection.

Reconnect it and test. (Be sure to unplug the power supply from the wall first)

Also, you might try booting into safe mode and shutting down from there. If it works it could point to a software cause, which is possible.

It might also be worth it to reseat the CPU, as well as removing any other peripherals other than keyboard, mouse and monitor.

No usb devices of any kind or anything else plugged into it.

And if you have been in the bios messing with power settings, i would restore defaults for testing purposes.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K  @ 4.2MHz  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: EVGA NEX750B   Storage: (1)950 PRO 512GB (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 headset   UPS: APC XS 1300

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

Hey all. 

so I took everything out and went from there. The solution? Clearing the CMOS. 

im kicking myself because I tried early last night to pull the battery, and it was giving me trouble so I moved on. Then stayed up for several more hours troubleshooting. 

thanks all for the help 

Glad you fixed it.

Those battery's can be a pain to get out. Fixed is fixed, good job on figuring it out and happy gaming.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K  @ 4.2MHz  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: EVGA NEX750B   Storage: (1)950 PRO 512GB (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 headset   UPS: APC XS 1300

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.