MSI X570 BIOS update results in black screen

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
2 hours ago, Mr.Sauce said:

As a follow-up, do you know where this information would be listed? I wasted so much time searching in vain, I'd like to be able to know where to look next time instead of simply googling it. 

Its stated by motherboard manufacturers. The bios size is not capable of physically holding enough information to support 4 generations of cpu agesa code.

Hey, I am in the dark here.

Background story: I am building my first pc and I plan on putting a ryzen 5900X/5800X (depending on premium they sell for in Canada), and a 3080 or the AMD equivalent. I bought all the other parts of the system over the last 2-3 weeks and assembled the unfinished pc. I bought a used 3200g as a place holder until I get the cpu and gpu to start working on making everything working.

The problem: I want to make my system ready to receive a 5000 series cpu as soon as it is delivered but when I update the bios of my x570 Tomahawk I end up with a black screen and I can't do anything. Clearing the CMOS doesn't do anything either. The only solution was to flash the bios again and revert to the initial bios it shipped with (dated April 2020) AND clearing the CMOS once again. I have tried all the versions of bios available on the msi x570 support page and nothing works except the earliest version from back in April. It is likely an issue with the cpu support as the EZ Debug CPU LED is steady on when I have the issue with the black screen. I have not read anywhere that updating the bios could remove support for a series of cpus (my 3200g in this case). I did the bios update using the flash button on the rear IO with USB key but I also tried doing it through X-FLASH with a USB key and both methods fail. Updating the bios through the rear flash bios button with a plugged USB key technically doesn't involve the cpu although I did have it in during the update. However, because it is technically not involved I am worried that the day I receive my 5000 series cpu I won't be able to use it since I can't install the AGESA 1.0.8 or AGESA 1.1.0 required to run these new cpus. The current state of the system with old bios and 3200g work fines. 

Are there other things I can try? Or should I RMA the motherboard? Have you heard of MSI bios updates causing this issue with other people? Thanks for any insight.

Here are the other parts of the system in case it is relevant:

current cpu: ryzen 3 3200g

mobo: x570 tomahawk

ram: trident z neo 64gb 3600mhz

aio: lian li galahad

ssd: xpg sx8200 pro 2tb

psu: seasonic focus plus gold 850w

The bios drops support for the 3200g when the new bios is installed. That's why it only works on older bios revisions. You'll have to wait until the Cpu is released and in hand. Update the bios, and then swap the chips.

Yeap, the new bios is incompatible with the old cpu so just use the old bios for now.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The bios drops support for the 3200g when the new bios is installed. That's why it only works on older bios revisions. You'll have to wait until the Cpu is released and in hand. Update the bios, and then swap the chips.

Thanks! I suspected that was the issue because of the cpu debug light but was not able to find the info that confirms this. 

As a follow-up, do you know where this information would be listed? I wasted so much time searching in vain, I'd like to be able to know where to look next time instead of simply googling it. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Sauce said:

Its stated by motherboard manufacturers. The bios size is not capable of physically holding enough information to support 4 generations of cpu agesa code.