My chair is turning off my screen.

I recently got a secret lab soft weave chair. I also  have a BenQ monitor that has an included remote.

A few days after getting the chair I noticed I was getting shocked here and there. At the same time I noticed that sometimes when I would get up my BenQ monitor would turn off for about three seconds then come back. My secondary monitor does nothing.

I quickly realized that it is the static discharge that I think is interacting with the IR receiver. I am just worried it might not be good for the screen. I have tried to cover the receiver with electrical tape but the problem persists (though less frequently). Any suggestions on how I can solve this?

image.jpg

Ground the chair?

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Sounds like the same thing happening here.

I doubt it has anything to do with the IR receiver.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Ground the chair?

I’m thinking about this but I’m not sure how to go about it. The door frame in the pic is metal so that’s promising, I’d consider using a small chain or even anti static wrist strap and just tethering it from the wheel base to the door frame, but I’m unsure if there is enough contact with the wheelbase and the rest of the chair for that to be effective 

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Sounds like the same thing happening here.

40 seconds in, yes exactly this. Going to keep watching now 😛

1 minute ago, Harrison Cassidy said:

40 seconds in, yes exactly this. Going to keep watching now 😛

I just realised that his monitor and yours are both BenQ. I wonder if they're for some reason more susceptible to this. What model monitor do you have? Eevblog states his model at the start of the video, it'll be interesting if it's the same model.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I just realised that his monitor and yours are both BenQ. I wonder if they're for some reason more susceptible to this. What model monitor do you have? Eevblog states his model at the start of the video, it'll be interesting if it's the same model.

BenQ EX2780Q 27"

it is probably related to it being BenQ, does his model also have a remote? Mine also has light detection, getting dimmer in the evening. Otherwise it could be something in the monitor.

It is good to know that I’m not the only one this has happened to, just wish I knew if it was harmful.

• 2 years later...

Geez I'm having the exact same issue with my BenQ monitor. 
Have you guys found a solution to the issue?