Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I let my integrated GPU fold as well?

Sup,

I am currently letting my laptop fold almost 24/7. I wonder If I should let my integrated GPU fold as well since it impacts my CPU.

The CPU and GPU specs are: Ryzen 5 2500U 4 Cores/8 Threads with an integrated Vega 8.

Due to thermal and power limitation my CPU will run at 1.9 to 2 GHz when folding only with the CPU. It won't boost due to thermal limitations.

When I config my GPU to fold as well, the clocks on the CPU will go down to ~ 1.6 GHz because of power limitations. I've seen many people say to let a thread not actively fold when using the GPU so I configured it to use 7 threads instead of 8.

Do you think it makes more sense to let the GPU fold with the clocked down CPU with one thread less, or to let the CPU fold with 8 threads and slightly higher clocks?

12 minutes ago, Screaver said:

Sup,

I am currently letting my laptop fold almost 24/7. I wonder If I should let my integrated GPU fold as well since it impacts my CPU.

The CPU and GPU specs are: Ryzen 5 2500U 4 Cores/8 Threads with an integrated Vega 8.

Due to thermal and power limitation my CPU will run at 1.9 to 2 GHz when folding only with the CPU. It won't boost due to thermal limitations.

When I config my GPU to fold as well, the clocks on the CPU will go down to ~ 1.6 GHz because of power limitations. I've seen many people say to let a thread not actively fold when using the GPU so I configured it to use 7 threads instead of 8.

Do you think it makes more sense to let the GPU fold with the clocked down CPU with one thread less, or to let the CPU fold with 8 threads and slightly higher clocks?

You want the GPU to do the dirty work as CPU does not really now how to properly handle folding althought it can do it.  I would use 4 threads CPU and GPU 100 percent my friend.🤷‍♀️✝🎗👶

Intel i9 10980XE / Gigabyte X299X Aorus Master EATX HEDT / Gigabyte WF RTX 2080 / Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB @ 3200 / Corsair AX1600i PSU / Corsair H115i Pro RGB @ 2x Noctua DH-A14 Fans / Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition No Glass @ Noctua DH-A14 Int DH-P12 Exh Fans / LG 43" IPS Matte 4K HDR10 / LG 55" C9 OLED HDR10 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse Lizzard Grip & G915 Wireless Linear Keyboard Brushed Aircraft Aluminum & G935 Wireless 7.1 HP & C920 Webcam / Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10-3 Gen4 Monitors @ Black Wooden Stands / Thurman Power Conditioner / Sennheiser HD 650 / HD BTNC 4.50 / StudioLogic SL 88 Grand MIDI Controller Wooden Fatar Hammer Action Keys / Cakewalk By BandLab DAW / Corsair MP510 960GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / M4 500GB / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / E-WIN Champion Series Gaming Chair Perforated Leather Black @ All Black Grey Music Studio / UOKIER Wirless Camera / Google Pixel 5 / Music Studio

I would fold primarily with my GPU, trying to balance the cpu threads based on power and thermal limit.

I've got a laptop with a core i7 7th gen and a GTX 950m. The best result with my setup was to set only one thread to the CPU.

You'll need to test this yourself, but generally speaking GPUs are way more capable at folding

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz (-75mV Core // -5mV Cache) RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition (-5mV // +80mhz core // +120mhz memory)  PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz

CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 Bit // Manjaro

Modern integrated GPUs are a lot more capable (relatively speaking, and literally) than the glorified display adapters of the past. Their performance is actually useful. Use it. ;)

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

1 minute ago, Pitbull Tyson said:

You want the GPU to do the dirty work as CPU does not really now how to properly handle folding althought it can do it.  I would use 4 threads CPU and GPU 100 percent my friend.🤷‍♀️✝🎗👶

@Screaver This is flat out wrong.

CPU Folding and GPU folding are two completely different tasks. The Work Units are built for either CPU or GPU.
You'll help out more if you use 7 threads CPU along with the GPU, compared to 8 Threads CPU. (Generally it isn't reccomened to use all the threads, even in pure CPU, as it's helpful to give the OS it's own thread to play in.)

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 2667 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 33 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Modern integrated GPUs are a lot more capable (relatively speaking, and literally) than the glorified display adapters of the past. Use it. ;)

Yes to both above posts.  The GPU does what the CPU can not and vice versa.  I would go 3 or 4 threads CPU is not less then use GPU 100 percent.  This can crunch well also, as you do not need a beast video card to run this stuff.👶🎗✝🤷‍♀️

Intel i9 10980XE / Gigabyte X299X Aorus Master EATX HEDT / Gigabyte WF RTX 2080 / Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB @ 3200 / Corsair AX1600i PSU / Corsair H115i Pro RGB @ 2x Noctua DH-A14 Fans / Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition No Glass @ Noctua DH-A14 Int DH-P12 Exh Fans / LG 43" IPS Matte 4K HDR10 / LG 55" C9 OLED HDR10 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse Lizzard Grip & G915 Wireless Linear Keyboard Brushed Aircraft Aluminum & G935 Wireless 7.1 HP & C920 Webcam / Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10-3 Gen4 Monitors @ Black Wooden Stands / Thurman Power Conditioner / Sennheiser HD 650 / HD BTNC 4.50 / StudioLogic SL 88 Grand MIDI Controller Wooden Fatar Hammer Action Keys / Cakewalk By BandLab DAW / Corsair MP510 960GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / M4 500GB / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / E-WIN Champion Series Gaming Chair Perforated Leather Black @ All Black Grey Music Studio / UOKIER Wirless Camera / Google Pixel 5 / Music Studio

Thank you guys for all the quick answers. I'll try to find the sweet spot to let the CPU and GPU do as much work as possible

It seems like the GPU is getting clocked down quite agressively. If i put the CPU Threads somewehere from 7 to 4, the clock of the GPU is always at ~ 200 MHz. The only difference in GPU clock is when I put the CPU threads to 3 or less. The Clock of the GPU is at ~ 1100 MHz when the CPU is idling so I think the best way is to just run 7 Threads + GPU. 

1.PNG

6 hours ago, Screaver said:

It seems like the GPU is getting clocked down quite agressively. If i put the CPU Threads somewehere from 7 to 4, the clock of the GPU is always at ~ 200 MHz. The only difference in GPU clock is when I put the CPU threads to 3 or less. The Clock of the GPU is at ~ 1100 MHz when the CPU is idling so I think the best way is to just run 7 Threads + GPU.

From the screenshot, it's clear that the gpu is way more efficient then the cpu. CPU is doing 2k points every 6h, while the gpu is achieving 25k in 2 days. This means that in 2 days, the GPU will produce 25k while the cpu would barely touch 16k. If those numbers are with the gpu clock @200mhz I'll let the gpu reach its full potential.

Hypothetically speaking, if the gpu can double its performance without any cpu slots you'll loose 16k points and gain another 25k. This is assuming going from 200mhz to 1100 would only double the performance.

Check the PPD (Points Per Day) to see what is the most efficient setup.

I'll start without any cpu slot to check what's the maximum performance of the gpu without any power limits.

Then add some cpu slots to see how much they impact the gpu.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz (-75mV Core // -5mV Cache) RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition (-5mV // +80mhz core // +120mhz memory)  PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz

CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 Bit // Manjaro