R5 3600 stock voltage

I just built my new PC and was shocked to see the stock voltages of my 3600. It goes up to 1.4V!. Is this normal? (default bios setting: 1.374V)

19 minutes ago, Ozzieh_man said:

I just built my new PC and was shocked to see the stock voltages of my 3600. It goes up to 1.4V!. Is this normal? (default bios setting: 1.374V)

short answer : yes
long answer : it will only use those higher voltages when lightly loaded to shoot core speeds up to top boost clock, during a heavy cpu load (especially multi-threaded ones) the sustained voltage will be lower

If you want less spikey temperatures you can manually clock the processor using Ryzen Master and manually set the peak voltage, the cores will still clock down when not in use

• 1 month later...

On my research ive came to conclusion that ryzen is designed this way and some people including amd engineers said so. Cpu voltage can swing to 1.5v but that does not mean its at *static* 1.5v on all core with maximum amps going through it. Someone mentioned static voltage oc or undervolt/manual voltage ceiling disables automatic features so it degrades the chip EVEN if you set the mobo vcore offset and cpu voltage to what typically seems safe and "normal" for ryzen specified cpu limits. Case point go to ryzen master set it to default and never look back. But if you must then by all means go tinker away.

Also came across a comment on ltt that said his cpu degraded from voltage of 1.25v at 4.2ghz and now his cpu cant do prime95 and needs over 1.3v and only boosts up to 4 to 4.1ghz while on day 1 it could do 4.2 on 1.25v i presume. Said it only took 4 months to go this bad instead of 5+ years.

I dont understand how it works i can only quote cpt american meme and say that it runs on some kind of electricity. If setting it to manual 1.275v achieves 4.2ghz with 1.275 peak and lower voltages on lower loads vs auto at 1.1 to 1.5v swings does 4.2ghz boost in games is actually better for chip longevity. Then ill take their word for it. The proof will be that the cpu keeps boosting on auto to 4.2ghz after years of use vs only just 4 months and ill know in 4 months.

Just putting this out here so people dont waste a couple hours if they stumble on this.