Is this Corsair CX550 good?

TukangUsapEmenq
Go to solution Solved by artuc,
9 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

But at least what would I know is the real world 'experience' of using it.

People's 'experience' with a power supply is pretty useless for the most part. 

Any issues unless widespread will be subjective and biased. 

Really fan noise, ease of installation and aesthetics maybe are what a typical end user could tell you?

To know the quality and likely reliability you need a deep knowledge of the OEMs involved, SMPS design, topology and layout, component choice and assembly quality then also meaure it with test equipment right up to it's limits to confirm how it performs. 

That is why @jonnyGURU has pointed you to reviews. He is actually the expert on this.

would be the most expensive PSU we'd ever buy.

CX is by no means a high end PSU, but typically a solid low end choice.

Welp. Kind of dire need to replace the PSU since it went died 2 months ago.

Spoiler

Jual Corsair CX Series CX550 - 550 Watt 80 PLUS Bronze ATX PSU - Jakarta  Pusat - Megallo Shop | Tokopedia

Any reviews of it would be appreciated as it would be come for considerations. And perhaps if you can recommend something better/same quality but cheaper as long as it won't be dead (again) for the next another 3 years like the current one. I checked the tier list, would be the most expensive PSU that we have ever to buy (just to prevent another sudden death again). What I actually want to know is how the real world 'experience' of it, and probably just how long you already using it.

Important parts for specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X, stock cooler. Barely even need to overclock (well, probably by a little 100-200 MHz)

ASUS's 1050Ti. Probably would do a littly bittly overclock either.

8 GB of GEIL RAM

2 TB WD Blue HDD

2 case fans

MSI motherboard, forgot the model and too lazy to reopen the case lol

Thanks in advance.

Edited by dhannemon13

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

2 minutes ago, Deslumo said:

Check the PSU tier list. 

I checked it, would be the most expensive PSU we'd ever buy. But at least what would I know is the real world 'experience' of using it.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

But at least what would I know is the real world 'experience' of using it.

Really fan noise, ease of installation and aesthetics maybe are what a typical end user could tell you?

To know the quality and likely reliability you need a deep knowledge of the OEMs involved, SMPS design, topology and layout, component choice and assembly quality then also meaure it with test equipment right up to it's limits to confirm how it performs. 

That is why @jonnyGURU has pointed you to reviews. He is actually the expert on this.

would be the most expensive PSU we'd ever buy.

1 hour ago, artuc said:

Okay, really good point of what you said here. Now I realized if my question's actually kind of stupid to ask lol

1 hour ago, artuc said:

Well, indeed it is, at least it's on the good B tier on the tier list, and it's a lot better than most people here just slapping the included-PSU (or get cheap on it without realizing it, like the case on us getting a shady brand PSU that eventually died 3 years later and roughly by only 20-30% price difference lol) from the case or not even bother to get the good one. Either, can't really afford more than that unfortunately. 

Yet, thanks to all of you for the answer. Consider the case closed. 

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

• 11 months later...

==locked==

do not re open old theads

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs