Which distro best for me

I'm new on linux, i haven't install linux yet. But soon i will be switch to linux cause i hate windows update and at how many resource that it need. So i have choose xfce for my desktop environment, but im confused at choose which distro is compatible with many apps cause i still can't move on from windows apps.

Thanks for helping

Sorry for my english

Ubuntu is one of the most supported and easier to dip your toes in with.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

I love Ubuntu. Use it on a bootable thumb drive. 

52 minutes ago, RcheAtz said:

cause i still can't move on from windows apps.

in that case don't install linux, because you will be dissapointed by it. 

She/Her

53 minutes ago, RcheAtz said:

i still can't move on from windows apps.

like what apps?

if you xfce xubuntu and manjaro are good for you

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

I would go with some Ubuntu variant with the information you've given. Windows app compatibility does not depend on the choice of desktop environment or distribution. Also, in your case I would seriously consider dual-booting to see if you can run said apps, or even if you can work with any Linux distributions at all. That way it is somewhat easier to have the option to just continue using Windows, in case you notice they don't work that well for you.

Good suggestions were already given for the choice of distribution; xubuntu is indeed a good choice, if your mind is set on xfce. However if you are not that familiar with Linuxes or their DEs, I would choose a more modern desktop environment. You didn't tell your HW, but if it has even somewhat decent amount of RAM, the choice of DE doesn't matter that much. In that case, pick plain Ubuntu or, if you want something instead of Pantheon OOTB, Kubuntu for KDE/Plasma, or some other variant of Ubuntu. You can always just install additional DEs later, despite what flavor you chose to install.

11 hours ago, mahyar said:

like what apps?

if you xfce xubuntu and manjaro are good for you

Office

Microsoft edge

Obs

Blender

Davinci

Spotify

Some of game on steam, epic games and ubisoft

Btw, mx linux go on top list right now, is it good for me?

3 minutes ago, RcheAtz said:

Office

Microsoft edge

Obs

Blender

Davinci

Spotify

Some of game on steam, epic games and ubisoft

Btw, mx linux go on top list right now, is it good for me?

most of then are in linux but you have to search for individual apps and games you want to use / play

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

22 minutes ago, Wild Penquin said:

I would go with some Ubuntu variant with the information you've given. Windows app compatibility does not depend on the choice of desktop environment or distribution. Also, in your case I would seriously consider dual-booting to see if you can run said apps, or even if you can work with any Linux distributions at all. That way it is somewhat easier to have the option to just continue using Windows, in case you notice they don't work that well for you.

Good suggestions were already given for the choice of distribution; xubuntu is indeed a good choice, if your mind is set on xfce. However if you are not that familiar with Linuxes or their DEs, I would choose a more modern desktop environment. You didn't tell your HW, but if it has even somewhat decent amount of RAM, the choice of DE doesn't matter that much. In that case, pick plain Ubuntu or, if you want something instead of Pantheon OOTB, Kubuntu for KDE/Plasma, or some other variant of Ubuntu. You can always just install additional DEs later, despite what flavor you chose to install.

Yeah dual boot is a good option thanks for this. Btw, my laptop specification is ryzen 3 2200u, 8gb ram, 1tb hdd. I choose xfce cause it need less of resource

For Office, Microsoft Edge you'd be better off using some other office suite (LibreOffice) or web browser (Firefox, Chromium), which works on Linux natively. At least MS Office doesn't work with Wine, at least the cloud-enabled O365 -version. Earlier versions might, Edge might, but it won't be smooth sailing.

Blender and Spotify have native Linux versions.

I have no idea on Obs and Davinci. I would wait if someone else here is informed on them on search via Google.

Steam has a native Linux client, and some games have native Linux ports, many other work with the help of Proton (and wine) almost transparently to the users. However, some games do not work so well, some not at all. Look at protondb for information on specific games.

I have no experience with epic games or ubisoft, but IIRC neither are nice players regards to DRM, which will usually translate to poor playability on Linux machines with Wine.

Edited by Wild Penquin
a fwe TYPOs, even moar TYPOs

thanks for all the advice, maybe for a while I will use dual boot, and xubuntu as my disto of choice