Solid performing + Quiet + RGB for AMD 5800x

XmsterXquiltX

I'm looking for a solid air CPU cooler that is both quiet and has solid RGB for a AMD 5800x build. I'll be putting an RTX 3080 in it once it becomes available. Right now, I have a Lian Li Lancool 2 mesh case. I was looking at the following article:

https://graphicscardhub.com/rgb-cpu-cooler/

The only one that looked decent to me was the MA410M. However, it does run a little on the loud side. I do like the design of the Deepcool Gammaxx Gt RGB CPU Cooler, but I notice it only has a pull fan. Does only having a pull fan have poor impact on performance?

I'm not an expert on cooling, so I'm open to suggestions. I'm not planning to do any heavy overclocking, but want something that performs decently well. 

pull shouldn’t make much difference if there’s only one fan.  You trade a little bit of power for a little bit of noise reduction.
I doubt there’s a whole lot of difference between a lot of those coolers.  

My general attitude on air coolers which may or may not have much merit these days.

Spoiler

I think of air coolers perhaps oddly.  It’s an older school of thought.  Really simplistically it’s count the pipes.  This doesn’t always work because what you’re really adding up is the internal surface area OF the pipes so a larger diameter pipe will have more internal surface area.  To make it more fun there are three kinds of internal systems pipes can have: sintered metal beads, wire mesh, and grooves.  Each is orders of magnitude less efficient than the one before.  Most “good” coolers have sintered metal beads.  Looking at your link, what I’m seeing is a bunch of 4 pipe air coolers, some 6 pipe (which may have smaller pipes) and one weird little flat thing I don’t have a lot of trust in.   The four pipe coolers should all behave roughly on par with each other.  They tend to be somewhere near 120w (110-130?) The 6 pipes may do better, but not 50% better because the pipes are smaller.  
The issue with zen3 is that it’s dense.  There isn’t a ton of difference mechanically between zen2 and zen3.  They’re done on the same process node.  They’re arranged more or less the same way.  With zen2 the issue wasn’t so much getting rid of enough waste heat, but getting it out from under the IHS in the first place so it could be gotten rid of at all.  Because of this the only way heat transfer could be speeded up at all was to have a higher temperature delta (I used to say albedo but I got reamed for it.  Seems the reamer was correct) so a much larger cooler will help a bit but will not produce a difference comparable to its increased size. So I’m not sure the 6 pipe ones will be all that much appreciably better than the 4 pipe ones for cooling a 105w chip with that kind of density. Big water doesn’t even do all that much. You just don’t get a lot more delta with more cooler.  Some but not a lot. Good paste might make more difference than a bigger cooler. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:43 PM, XmsterXquiltX said:

I'm looking for a solid air CPU cooler that is both quiet and has solid RGB for a AMD 5800x build. I'll be putting an RTX 3080 in it once it becomes available. Right now, I have a Lian Li Lancool 2 mesh case. I was looking at the following article:

https://graphicscardhub.com/rgb-cpu-cooler/

The only one that looked decent to me was the MA410M. However, it does run a little on the loud side. I do like the design of the Deepcool Gammaxx Gt RGB CPU Cooler, but I notice it only has a pull fan. Does only having a pull fan have poor impact on performance?

I'm not an expert on cooling, so I'm open to suggestions. I'm not planning to do any heavy overclocking, but want something that performs decently well. 

Hello,

You can add a second fan to the Gammaxx aIr cooler. I assume you are referring to the Gammaxx GT with standard RGB; in this case, the other fan you would be looking for is an RF120 RGB fan. You might need a second set of fan clips though

DeepCool Support