£1000 Gaming Setup

_lucalink

Budget (including currency): £1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: AAA Gaming, Office 365, Photoshop, CAD.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Targeting 1080p resolution and 144hz in games where that is reasonable such as Apex legends. I am expecting to get around 60fps on titles such as RDR2. The parts list I have come up with below I think should cover my needs but any input from people with more experience than me would be great. In the list below the mouse and monitor do not have retailers attached to them and have prices entered manually as they are amazon returns stock. The only constraint that i have is that all parts must come from amazon as all the money for it is gift credit on amazon due to the money coming from a return. Here is the PC part picker list:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dFv29N

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£94.49 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£87.38 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£72.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£76.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB THICC III Ultra Video Card  (£288.77 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  (£79.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£52.40 @ Amazon UK) 
Monitor: AOC C27G1 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  (£166.00) 
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini Wired Optical Mouse  (£31.24) 
Custom: DREVO Calibur V2 RGB 60% Wired Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, 71-Key Small Compact, Compatible with PC/Mac, Detachable USB Type-C, Outemu Red Switch, Black  (£42.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Custom: upHere SYNC ARGB LED 120mm PC Case Fan,High performance Silent Fan for PC cooling,NT1207-5  (£34.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1028.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-24 01:10 BST+0100

I think you should save a little more and get a higer end CPU, at least a Ryzen 5; new CPUS are around the corner so prices will be coming down soon.

If you must get a Zen 2 Ryzen 3 CPU, get the 3300X over the 3100: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/NvCFf7/amd-ryzen-3-3300x-38-ghz-quad-core-processor-100-100000159box

It performs considerably better (four cores in a single CCX instead of split between two) and only costs about 20 more. You can offset this cost by getting this RAM kit instead: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/JmyV3C/team-t-force-vulcan-z-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-tlzrd416g3200hc16cdc01. It has the same speed and latency, so it should perform the same while costing a bit less.

Also you don't need to buy an extra case fan. The 4000D comes with two 120 mm fans which are fine. Remove that and you'll meet your £1000 budget (before shipping and sales tax).

IMO, I'd hold back on the peripherals in exchange for a better CPU. You almost certainly have a mouse and keyboard you can live with for a couple of months until you can afford £70 to buy the ones you want. And if you don't, you can probably pick a pair up for £10 in Tesco. Far cheaper to swap those out in the future than the 3100 when it starts to show its age.

Add an extra ~£10 to the money you save from those and you can get a 3600 instead of the 3100 you've picked, which will serve you far better in the long run (and mean you can actually make the most of that 144Hz monitor. Not convinced you would with a 3100).

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Also I can't say I'd recommend Amazon returns peripherals. From my experience with Amazon returns on multiple occasions, the condition stated is a generous approximation at best. Expect grime and lots of it, even if it's listed as 'like new'. You'll either be correct or pleasantly surprised.

The items are also generally assessed by people who don't know how to properly evaluate whether the product is working or not. I bought a Amazon returns 'like new' Blue Yeti mic at the start of lockdown, ended up returning it as one of the buttons was missing, the usb port was mashed up and it only recorded audio through the left audio channel! Not to mention the missing usb cable.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

I respect the desision with going towards "gamery" mice and keyboards, but normal mice and keyboards can be really high quality for less. 

Also, I find it weird that your case is more expensive than the CPU, drive, and the PSU. 

39 minutes ago, XAIXER said:

I think you should save a little more and get a higer end CPU, at least a Ryzen 5; new CPUS are around the corner so prices will be coming down soon.

Ryzen 5 3600 is twice the price and for gaming only increases by a max of 10fps. 

37 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

3300x is unavailable. 

6 minutes ago, Deslumo said:

I respect the desision with going towards "gamery" mice and keyboards, but normal mice and keyboards can be really high quality for less. 

Am going for these as this is primarily a gaming build and especially since I use thumb buttons a lot when playing, as for the keyboard it is the cheapest one I can find with red mech switches.

7 minutes ago, Deslumo said:

Also, I find it weird that your case is more expensive than the CPU, drive, and the PSU. 

Case is not more than the CPU. I don't need to spend more on the drive or PSU.