Keyboard Issues Lenovo Yoga Help Me

Go to solution Solved by 13Decoman,

Solved! Key Tweak fixed the issue in less than the time it took to download... Thanks to a user on cnet 

BEST ANSWER

All that.
By R. Proffitt Forum Moderator Oct 23, 2020 4:11PM PDT

I may miss a detail due to the length. If this was mine I'd test it in SAFE MODE, an external USB keyboard and consider using ideas at https://superuser.com/questions/957552/how-to-delete-a-keyboard-layout-in-windows-10 to delete possibly bad key mapping.
or look at SHARPKEYS to fix that key.

and that...
By 13decoman Oct 23, 2020 4:20PM PDT

Safe mode doesnt help, but a usb keyboard works fine. And the word thing is how the key issue went away, then came back...

So key mapping, removal of maps and Sharpkeys
By R. Proffitt Forum Moderator Oct 23, 2020 4:27PM PDT

All fail. That means there's a hardware issue or something quite rare where the BIOS has a keyboard regional setting.
Remember I take it that all through this you did the work and know about Windows nationalization and keyboard choices.

Do tell...
By 13decoman Oct 24, 2020 12:37PM PDT

Ok, im listening. Are you suggesting i reinstall English(US) for Windows? Could it be so simple? What English region would not use a (,) or (<), or do you think what's installed is corrupted? Thank you, Im learning as I go.

I can't tell from here.
By R. Proffitt Forum Moderator Oct 24, 2020 12:44PM PDT

I can only share what I would try short of a clean install.
There are web pages that show keyboard layouts so I'll not spend time on that (you could?)
My advice is to work the keyboard layout, region, see if SHARPKEYS can remove a mapping or just map it to the right key. I'm not there to do the work and can't tell you what is broken since I'm not there. However I can give you ideas about what I would try.
Remember I take it you tried all I noted and it failed so it's hardware.

Solved! Thank you R. Proffitt
By 13decoman Oct 24, 2020 1:08PM PDT

So i looked at key remapping and decided on Key Tweak. https://keytweak.en.softonic.com/
It saw a remapping the instant it booted for the first time. So I restored defaults and BOOM! Now I wonder if my old mobo was bad, or the original keyboard for that matter...?HAHAHAHa ? Thank you very much!

So the device in question is a Lenovo Yoga 710-15IKB. I7 with the NVidia 940mx, 16gb ram and 256 ssd. 15 inch touch screen convertible.  Here is a link to the laptop however min is the 16g ram variant. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/700-series/Lenovo-YOGA-710-15IKB/p/88YG7000772

Before all this the first thing to go was my webcam. No incident, just one day stopped working. But it didn’t bother me much as I rarely used it. And next was blown speakers…

So around two years ago I spilled a very small amount of tea on the bottom middle of the keyboard. It was immediately powered off, flipped upside down and I quickly removed the battery and dried it thoroughly for a day or so. Upon startup, it all was well until I tried a few keys… The issues were- V, B, N, M, SPACE, and ENTER. When pushing V, it would type VB, and when pushing B it would do the same. I went the same with the N, and M keys. Space bar would trigger the enter key and vice versa. As I still needed to work, my go to fix was a USB keyboard and to just deal with it until I could get it fix or a better laptop. 

A few months later I purchased a keyboard for the yoga online. I replaced the keyboard and inspected as I went along. It’s a full teardown of everything besides the screen to replace the keys. But alas, I couldn’t find any worrying signs as I tore it down and reassembled. And now it gets interesting… I booted it up for the first time with the new keyboard, opened word and notepad to test and sure enough, the same key issues!

So I was defeated, and frustrated. A friend suggested a bad MOBO, even if mine had no signs of damage. And something more… I must have disturbed the monitor or cable, because now it will randomly flicker as well as a small faint vertical line that comes and goes... FML!

This would eventually lead to frustration and me breaking down and buying a new laptop. So the Lenovo yoga found a comfy place on the closet shelf for the next year or two.

So, about a month ago I was watching a YouTube, and found a cool video abo re-purposing old laptops into a home workstation. Out of curiosity, I pulled the Yoga from the shelf. To my surprise after booting up the keys seemed to function fine! I was stoked! Now I had my thin little Yoga back! It still had a screen flicker and occasional very faint vertical line, but it was back!

Now it was on! I was going to fix the Yoga and start using it. First thing was ordering speakers, a new web camera, and the touchscreen’s connecting wire in hopes of correcting the screen flicker. A few more YouTube tutorial videos later, and Bam! A working webcam and speakers! Sadly the new screen cable didn’t help the occasional flicker… but I could deal with it for now.

Then, strangely after a happy month of use the Yoga shit the bed again! The key problem was back!

Now I’m getting a little mad, a little frustrated, intrigued, and challenged! So I ordered a new MOBO and installed it yesterday. It all went well and I was super happy when it booted up and seemed to work fine! But upon some use I went to type a comma (,) and low and behold.., an M appears! WTHF!? I mean seriously what the actual F*@K! LOL  

Does anyone out there have any ideas? I would really like to continue using the Yoga. It still has decent specks in this day and age. And after the games it’s played with me, I would really love to come out of this on top!

Help me please!!!!!

was there a reason the usb keyboard option didnt work

it's a laptop , it's not made to last , or even made to go more than 3 years before you are expected to throw it away. when you make cheap computers with proprietary hardware they tend to never last.

btw , im typing this on a laptop with a broken battery , a broken disc drive , a broken cpu fan , running windows 7 , and its 11 years old. So dont expect much from these

18 minutes ago, emosun said:

was there a reason the usb keyboard option didnt work

it's a laptop , it's not made to last , or even made to go more than 3 years before you are expected to throw it away. when you make cheap computers with proprietary hardware they tend to never last.

btw , im typing this on a laptop with a broken battery , a broken disc drive , a broken cpu fan , running windows 7 , and its 11 years old. So dont expect much from these

Yes yes i understand your pesimissm, but i wont just bend over and take it. You seem to be in a similar situation which kinda makes you sound a bit hypocritacal with your broken parts... Wouldnt it be nice if you could fix all those problems rather than just dealiing with them. Im genuinely curious to find the issue now as I have spent all this time tinkering with it.

10 minutes ago, 13Decoman said:

Wouldnt it be nice if you could fix all those problems rather than just dealiing with them.

On a machine that had universal parts and standards? Yeah. Problem would be easy as cake if it was a desktop.

On proprietary hardware? Not worth it. Course my machine was 200$ and I got 5 or so years out of it after the first owner got 4 from it.

best way to not care if your laptop stops working is to buy cheap or used ones , so long as it works somewhat then its worth the money and theres not hard feelings if it dies.

That being said , you already replaced the keyboard and motherboard so IDK what you hope to hear from us. probably bought a broken board that had the same issue as your previous one. good luck finding a board and keyboard that doesn't have the issue as thats gonna be your only option.

The thing that really intrigues me is how the keys stopped working , then reverted back to normal. At first i went chasing the the keyboard cable, even cleaning the end with an eraser...

Solved! Key Tweak fixed the issue in less than the time it took to download... Thanks to a user on cnet 

BEST ANSWER

All that.
By R. Proffitt Forum Moderator Oct 23, 2020 4:11PM PDT

I may miss a detail due to the length. If this was mine I'd test it in SAFE MODE, an external USB keyboard and consider using ideas at https://superuser.com/questions/957552/how-to-delete-a-keyboard-layout-in-windows-10 to delete possibly bad key mapping.
or look at SHARPKEYS to fix that key.

and that...
By 13decoman Oct 23, 2020 4:20PM PDT

Safe mode doesnt help, but a usb keyboard works fine. And the word thing is how the key issue went away, then came back...

So key mapping, removal of maps and Sharpkeys
By R. Proffitt Forum Moderator Oct 23, 2020 4:27PM PDT

All fail. That means there's a hardware issue or something quite rare where the BIOS has a keyboard regional setting.
Remember I take it that all through this you did the work and know about Windows nationalization and keyboard choices.

Do tell...
By 13decoman Oct 24, 2020 12:37PM PDT

Ok, im listening. Are you suggesting i reinstall English(US) for Windows? Could it be so simple? What English region would not use a (,) or (<), or do you think what's installed is corrupted? Thank you, Im learning as I go.

I can't tell from here.
By R. Proffitt Forum Moderator Oct 24, 2020 12:44PM PDT

I can only share what I would try short of a clean install.
There are web pages that show keyboard layouts so I'll not spend time on that (you could?)
My advice is to work the keyboard layout, region, see if SHARPKEYS can remove a mapping or just map it to the right key. I'm not there to do the work and can't tell you what is broken since I'm not there. However I can give you ideas about what I would try.
Remember I take it you tried all I noted and it failed so it's hardware.

Solved! Thank you R. Proffitt
By 13decoman Oct 24, 2020 1:08PM PDT

So i looked at key remapping and decided on Key Tweak. https://keytweak.en.softonic.com/
It saw a remapping the instant it booted for the first time. So I restored defaults and BOOM! Now I wonder if my old mobo was bad, or the original keyboard for that matter...?HAHAHAHa ? Thank you very much!