New gaming rig for a friend

Schokio

Budget (including currency): 2000€ (Euro)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

• The 2000€ budget is including a monitor suited for the build, having like 1500€ for the parts and 500€(?) for the monitor. The budget is the total money capacity, it doesn't need to reach 2000€, if no perfomance gains are expected for more money spent.
  • Monitor should be WQHD, 27'', 144Hz and with adjustable height.
  • Windows 10, mouse, keyboard etc. don't have to be included
  • Probably this case: Pure Base 500DX (or if you got another good case to recommend)
  • ARGB-compatible Mainboard
  • RTX 20XX - literally impossible to get the RTX 30XX in Germany (some shops only got 40 for their whole market here)
  • One big HDD, the rest SSDs

It's planned to be bought this weekend.
Thanks for your help guys :)

26 minutes ago, DutchGuyTom said:

If you or your friend are tech savvy, the best bang-for-the-buck GPU option is probably the RX 5700 flashed with a 5700 XT bios. This will be more cost effective and your savings can be spent on other parts or, better yet, saved for an upgrade in the future when stock levels of new cards are normal.

Sadly, we wouldn't even know how to start on flashing, or even overclocking a CPU.
That's why we would opt for the 20XX series and the R5 3600.

Gonna make a novice pcpartpicker list later, with my first thoughts.
Do you have any recommandations for a solid monitor?

@DutchGuyTom
First of all, thanks for the reply.
Did you intentionally went for the 1500€ "without" monitor, and not for 2000€ with a monitor?
Just curious, cuz otherwise we could take a B550 board(?)
And could I go with higher speed Memory, because of the Ryzen?

Btw, my concern with the monitor is, that if I pick a AMD graphics card, and then a monitor, I would be bound to the FreeSync monitor for years.

34 minutes ago, DutchGuyTom said:

1. I went with best bang for buck. 1500€ for a great gaming PC with 500€ left in the bank for future upgrades is better than 2000€ for a moderately better gaming rig leaves you nothing saved for future upgrades. That 500€ difference can mean significant upgrades in 2021. That's how I would spend my money.

2. There is almost no good reason to go for the B550. The B450 I selected has excellent capabilities (will support the upcoming Zen 3 chips) and has everything you need. 

3. Higher speed memory will give you like 0.2 - 0.4% performance increase in games (I have spent a lot of time overclocking my memory and there is like no FPS increase).

4. Apologies, I did not notice that you had a case in mind. Besides being more expensive, the Pure Base is a great option.

5. I don't know the ins and outs of adaptive sync technologies, but this monitor supports both G-Sync and Freesync. I don't think one is noticeably better than the other. This monitor will let you upgrade to NVidia and still enjoy adaptive sync tech.

1. No worries, I was just confused if you misread that. I just missed the reasoning in your first post ^^
2. Last time I got recommended a B550/X570 board for myself. I went for MPG B550 Gaming Carbon on my own build. People were surprised about the kinda low prices, and just told me to go for it. (~165€-190€)
3. Okay, because I got "yelled" at that I went for 3200 on my personal build lol
4. No problem. He just liked my case on first glance, but the Meshify also looks great with it's front panel design.
5. Yeah, the only thing I know about monitors is FreeSync=AMD, G-Sync=NVidia and nothing more 😅

@DutchGuyTom
Thanks for your quick help regarding this matter :)
Gonna try to convince him to the B450, otherwise he'll go towards B550; can't change it then /shrug

Wishing you a good weekend!

8 hours ago, Schokio said:

@DutchGuyTom
Thanks for your quick help regarding this matter :)
Gonna try to convince him to the B450, otherwise he'll go towards B550; can't change it then /shrug

Wishing you a good weekend!

The B550-A PRO is only a few Euros more than the B450 Tomahawk, so no reason not to go with the B550 option.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/7gxbt6/msi-b550-a-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-a-pro

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

The B550-A PRO is only a few Euros more than the B450 Tomahawk, so no reason not to go with the B550 option.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/7gxbt6/msi-b550-a-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-a-pro

Just to make sure, the B550-A Pro is a good one, isnt it?
Do you have other suggestions for his pcpartpickerlist?
And btw, which 2070Super is the best bang for buck right now, cuz he is bugging me around with it 🙄

6 hours ago, Schokio said:

Just to make sure, the B550-A Pro is a good one, isnt it?
Do you have other suggestions for his pcpartpickerlist?
And btw, which 2070Super is the best bang for buck right now, cuz he is bugging me around with it 🙄

Yes the B550-A PRO is pretty solid. Certainly better than the Tomahawk at current prices.

I would wait on the gpu, as the RTX 3070 launches in less than a week, and AMD are announcing Big Navi. Even if you can't manage to buy one it could affect current gpu prices.

Maybe even see what the Ryzen 5000 availability is like as well. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€183.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€116.49 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€56.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€104.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€57.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Aerocool Aero One Eclipse ATX Mid Tower Case  (€72.69 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution D.F. 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€99.78 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  (€434.30 @ Senetic) 
Total: €1126.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-24 21:32 CEST+0200

15 minutes ago, DutchGuyTom said:

A little late to notice this, sorry.

Good catch, I did not see that board and since it is hardly more expensive, definitely a good option. Unfortunately, there has been no VRM temperature testing of it yet that I could find in a quick google search. So that is the one caveat, there is no way to know if it will be suitable for the very power-hungry CPUs. Certainly fine for a R5 3600 though!

The VRM is pretty solid. It will handle a 3950X.

If you skip to 14mins you can see the full roundup and the B450 Tomahawk is included.