Enormous boot time in my Asus ROG

ooof.u

Hi,

I have a Asus ROG G551JW, I bought it 4 years ago and it always had a pretty fast boot time (it came with an mSata SSD). One day, a friend of mine spilled soda on top of it and the motherboard died, so we went to the local store and replaced it. The sad part was that the SSD died, so I only had the HDD to use.

(I'm really not sure about the timespan in the next part, sorry haha) Some months later, I started getting REALLY LONG boot times, no, really. 120 seconds to boot! At that time, I didn't use my laptop outside of my house, so I really didn't care about it.

Now I'm back to school and I always take my laptop with me, so, having 2 whole minutes for my computer to boot in 45 minute classes is a real bummer.

I thought that the HDD might have got damaged with the soda or something, so 2 days ago I added a 120GB Kingston A400 SSD to my laptop using the caddy method. I installed windows on the SSD, formatted the HDD andddd.. Nope, still at 120 seconds.

Wait! It gets weirder.

It's not 118 seconds, 128 or 115. It's. Exactly. 120. Seconds. image.png.07f74829be7deab4923d656ac79f40e0.png 

Sometimes 119.9, other times 120.1. But it's never lower or bigger than that.

If someone knows what this might be, please help me. I'm out of ideas, thank you.

NOTE: This only happens from a cold boot. If I restart the computer it has a "genuine" boot time. (around 10 seconds if I'm not mistaken).

unplug the hdd from the system and see if anything changes. your OS should be on the ssd so this is just to test

13 hours ago, The_Vaccine said:

unplug the hdd from the system and see if anything changes. your OS should be on the ssd so this is just to test

Hi, sorry for the late reply 

I erased all data from my old HDD (therefore there is no Windows installed there) and I tried to manually boot from my SSD multiple times, the result is the same.

Either way, when I get home I’ll try to do that.

UPDATE: Nothing changed. This time, the boot was clocked at 117.9 seconds.

go into the bios and reset all settings. if there is a clear cmos button, then use that

21 minutes ago, The_Vaccine said:

go into the bios and reset all settings. if there is a clear cmos button, then use that

I did that and it’s basically the same.

I did find out that the ROG logo is what stays on for practically 95% of the time, after that, the windows logo appears for around 5 seconds and after that the laptop boots.

Should I update my BIOS?

38D587DE-0B99-44D6-9DF3-20F378BB4B12.jpeg

D223ABE5-33C4-4BC2-BDE1-A7D6395EDBA5.png

if its stuck on the asus logo for an extended time, that sounds like something wrong with the motherboard. could be hardware, could be software/firmware. hard to tell right now. I would contact asus directly and see if they provide any troubleshooting tips.