gtx 1650 s on a 290w 80+ psu

zuzu1

can i run a gtx 1650 s on a dell t30 with a 290w psu?

or should i buy a normal gtx 1650?

10 minutes ago, zuzu1 said:

dell t30

That's a server, which means the PCIe slot will only push 25 watts through the slot, you'll need to supplement with 6pin/8pin connectors

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

23 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's a server, which means the PCIe slot will only push 25 watts through the slot, you'll need to supplement with 6pin/8pin connectors

thanks so if i buy the gtx 1650 i will have no problems right? (the smaller version doesnt need a 6 pin connector)

You need to find out how much power a 1650 requires Thru the PCIE slot. On a normal motherboard, PCIE 16X slots push 75w, so I’d be surprised if 25w can drive it

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

25 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

You need to find out how much power a 1650 requires Thru the PCIE slot. On a normal motherboard, PCIE 16X slots push 75w, so I’d be surprised if 25w can drive it

i have a x16 pci-e slot on my motherboard

5 minutes ago, zuzu1 said:

i have a x16 pci-e slot on my motherboard

I have a server that uses more power than the PCIe slot can give, the GFX card draws the excess from the 6pin (or in my case,. the dual 6 pin connections)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

11 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I have a server that uses more power than the PCIe slot can give, the GFX card draws the excess from the 6pin (or in my case,. the dual 6 pin connections)

ok so will a normal gtx 1650 work on my 290w psu???

If your CPU in that thing pulls more than 60W, I would say no. 

Everything takes power to run, HD's, RAM, cooling fans, add-in cards.. 

I'd expect a 290W PSU in something like a Dell using the integrated GPU on the CPU. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

1 hour ago, zuzu1 said:

ok so will a normal gtx 1650 work on my 290w psu???

Which one do you want? SOme only use 75 watts of power through the PCIe slot, which, obviously, you can't use on your server

9 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Which one do you want? SOme only use 75 watts of power through the PCIe slot, which, obviously, you can't use on your server

palit gtx 1650 (the one with only 1 fan)

On 10/25/2020 at 1:08 AM, Radium_Angel said:

so?

On 10/25/2020 at 4:14 AM, zuzu1 said:

palit gtx 1650 (the one with only 1 fan)

Somewhere my post got eaten, sorry about that, do you have a link to said card?

2 hours ago, zuzu1 said:

As long as power is drawn from a 6/8 pin connector, and not the PCIe slot, you should be golden.

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

As long as power is drawn from a 6/8 pin connector, and not the PCIe slot, you should be golden.

ok so the psu will handle it right?

3 hours ago, zuzu1 said:
7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Power tends to be drawn through both the PCIe slot and PCIe power connector(s). If the card were to try draw more than what the PCIe slot can provide, there may be some instabilities. I mean, it'll run, but I wouldn't like to test that.

Is there no way to replace this PSU by the way? 290W is barely enough. No room for meaningful upgrades in the future, really.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, zuzu1 said:

ok so the psu will handle it right?

As long as you get a PSU that has the right power connectors, and enough wattage, then yes.

But bear in mind the Dell PowerEdge t30 does NOT use a standard power supply, and using sata/molex adapters is asking for a house fire

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

If the card were to try draw more than what the PCIe slot can provide, there may be some instabilities. I mean, it'll run, but I wouldn't like to test that.

I've done this on a PE 2900 and a T310, the excess power is simply taken from the power supply, I've gamed under it without issue.

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Is there no way to replace this PSU by the way? 290W is barely enough. No room for meaningful upgrades in the future, really.

yeah i can replace the psu but i didnt knew if i should do it or not

15 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

As long as you get a PSU that has the right power connectors, and enough wattage, then yes.

But bear in mind the Dell PowerEdge t30 does NOT use a standard power supply, and using sata/molex adapters is asking for a house fire

ok so what psu should i buy?

4 minutes ago, zuzu1 said:

ok so what psu should i buy?

Heh, one that fits. I suspect you'll need to hit up Dell on that...

Do you have the T30 already?

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Do you have the T30 already?

yes

1 minute ago, zuzu1 said:

yes

Then you should be able to see what connectors the power supply uses to connect to the mobo, etc and what size it is

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Then you should be able to see what connectors the power supply uses to connect to the mobo, etc and what size it is

ok and after i do that what?

Just now, zuzu1 said:

ok and after i do that what?

Find a compatible power supply. I'd start by contacting Dell and see what they offer