AMD RX 6800XT AIB synthetic benchmarks: Pure rasterized faster than RTX 3080, RT on par with RTX 2080 Ti

FaxedForward
2 hours ago, FaxedForward said:

Those are old rumors, the more recent information indicates Nvidia has cancelled all plans for extra 3070 and 3080 variants until the mid-cycle refresh, as they are definitely not having any troubles selling the cards they already have available.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3070-16gb

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-preparing-ga102-150-gpu-with-7424-cuda-cores

This may be the rumor that he/she was talking about.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

1 hour ago, Random_Person1234 said:

That’s what I was talking about

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

4 hours ago, FaxedForward said:

Those are old rumors, the more recent information indicates Nvidia has cancelled all plans for extra 3070 and 3080 variants until the mid-cycle refresh, as they are definitely not having any troubles selling the cards they already have available.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3070-16gb

You mean selling the cards no one can even buy? XD

19 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

You mean selling the cards no one can even buy? XD

Not quite no one apparently.  They have been seen around.  There are apparently not nearly even close to enough of them though.  Becomes a question of if this almost but not quite zero supply being intentional or not.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

That is interesting. Honestly a “3070 Ti” with those specs would be a perfect 1440p card if such a thing is released. I was hoping to grab a new card before Cyberpunk releases but the plain 3070 just does not seem like enough of an upgrade from the 1080 Ti I currently have.

Really excited to see what AMDs new cards look like and how Nvidia responds.

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

1 hour ago, AlwaysWong said:

Amd driver 👎

Also Nvidia driver.  They both tend to have huge problems when a new architecture comes out.  Nvidia is much bigger so they seem more able to fix things faster.  They seem about equal as to actual base quality though.   

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Also Nvidia driver.  They both tend to have huge problems when a new architecture comes out.  Nvidia is much bigger so they seem more able to fix things faster.  They seem about equal as to actual base quality though.   

Ive had way more amd driver issues with just the 5700xt then all of my nvidia cards put together going back to the 8800gt 512mb. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

2 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Ive had way more amd driver issues with just the 5700xt then all of my nvidia cards put together going back to the 8800gt 512mb. 

The whole 5700xt thing seems to be interesting.  There are apparently a few people that had massive continuing issues and a very large percentage of people that had no problems whatsoever.  To the point that people are questioning where the reports of problems are coming from or if the problems even actually exist.  I read another thing that said there was actually a hardware fault with the 5700xt that had to be worked around.   It makes me wonder if the small number of people who were having continuing problems have some sort of similarity or set of similarities in their systems. 

I’d love to know what the actual issue was but it forced me to sell the card I had and go back to nvidia. Had issues with a Xfx 5700 and a sapphire pulse 5700xt. When the cards worked right the performance was great, I didn’t have the best of luck with them tho

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

35 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

You have the sample size of one.

10 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I’d love to know what the actual issue was but it forced me to sell the card I had and go back to nvidia. Had issues with a Xfx 5700 and a sapphire pulse 5700xt. When the cards worked right the performance was great, I didn’t have the best of luck with them tho

So that’s two. @Gohardgrandpa and @AlwaysWong.  I had a 5700xt and returned it but not because I had significant problems.  One of the complications is apparently there haven’t been ANY reviewers that have had any noticeable problems with the 5700xt.  It makes me wonder if there was a similarity between the two systems.  

58 minutes ago, MarfP said:

Personally my Red Devil 5700XT has been good to me! minor driver issues earlier this yeat but now rock solid.

I keep seeing people say they aren’t having issues now and that’s great news. Hopefully the new cards are solid because that’s probably the only card I’ll be able to get anytime soon. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

3 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

RX 5700 did have a fair amount of issues, that was quite a big transition of architecture compared to normal. GCN based cards have had really great driver stability for a long time, but that comes from not much really changing at all for the time. RDNA will end up the same too if it goes the same path, the other thing is AMD simply does have more resources now too so should be able to deal with this better if they choose to.

I've been using a rx580 8gb for over a week now and not an issue, can't really remember ever having an issue with this card to tell you the truth.

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

I have had zero issues with my Sapphire 5700 XT

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The whole 5700xt thing seems to be interesting.  There are apparently a few people that had massive continuing issues and a very large percentage of people that had no problems whatsoever.  To the point that people are questioning where the reports of problems are coming from or if the problems even actually exist.  I read another thing that said there was actually a hardware fault with the 5700xt that had to be worked around.   It makes me wonder if the small number of people who were having continuing problems have some sort of similarity or set of similarities in their systems. 

Of course the majority of 5700xt owners wouldn't have problems. >50% dissatisfaction rate would be catastrophic galactic failure that requires immediate recall. Now how much of rate would be acceptable? Even if it's only 1% and you sell a million GPUs, that's ten thousands pissed customers writing reviews and their horrible experiences online. 

We all know Nvidia sells way more GPUs than AMD but the AMD driver complaints are way more numerous and serious than Nvidia.

After 6 months of horribly broken driver that AMD themselves acknowledged and finally published a big stability update, the complaints has died down considerably recently.

If AMD is smart, their drivers for 6xxx has to be rock solid or public perception of their driver stability is sealed for an other generation or two, and dare I say, for fucking good reasons.

On 10/23/2020 at 1:51 PM, FaxedForward said:

I personally disagree. DLSS' biggest limitation is that it's not universally supported and Papa Nvidia has to bless your game with AI training to enable it. It's not like an API where the developers can just choose to incorporate it at will. There are less than 20 games that currently support it and only about 25 more with future support announced.

I think it would be fair if it was universally available, but Nvidia gets to cherry pick the titles it supports with AI training. So to compare only DLSS-enabled titles and say the 3080 is the best card because it's faster in ~50 out of thousands of PC titles is kind of silly. Pure raster vs pure raster is an objective standard.

This is the same thing we saw with S3 and the MeTaL API 20 years ago, it blew the doors off 3dfx/ATi/Nvidia in the small number of titles where it was supported but was objectively inferior elsewhere. Times have changed in a lot of ways but back then consistent performance with no tricks ultimately won out.

That's just not true... I have developer access to DLSS 2.0 and you don't have to specifically train the game for it to work... I've had that confirmed as well by nvidia at GTC... There's a dev branch at the moment where it will work with any unreal engine 4 game, whilst I haven't tried implementing it myself yet it doesn't seem too difficult from the documentation. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

21 minutes ago, werto165 said:

That's just not true... I have developer access to DLSS 2.0 and you don't have to specifically train the game for it to work... I've had that confirmed as well by nvidia at GTC... There's a dev branch at the moment where it will work with any unreal engine 4 game, whilst I haven't tried implementing it myself yet it doesn't seem too difficult from the documentation. 

Yeah, but it still needs to be specifically implemented in the game which means 99% of the games will never see it used. Out of hundreds of games released just this year, we have a list of like 10 games that support it. Some of which are stuck on DLSS 1.x version.

49 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, but it still needs to be specifically implemented in the game which means 99% of the games will never see it used. Out of hundreds of games released just this year, we have a list of like 10 games that support it. Some of which are stuck on DLSS 1.x version.

It's less the number, and more the significance of the games supported. Still, going forward, more games will be supported. 

3 hours ago, mrthuvi said:

Of course the majority of 5700xt owners wouldn't have problems. >50% dissatisfaction rate would be catastrophic galactic failure that requires immediate recall. Now how much of rate would be acceptable? Even if it's only 1% and you sell a million GPUs, that's ten thousands pissed customers writing reviews and their horrible experiences online. 

We all know Nvidia sells way more GPUs than AMD but the AMD driver complaints are way more numerous and serious than Nvidia.

After 6 months of horribly broken driver that AMD themselves acknowledged and finally published a big stability update, the complaints has died down considerably recently.

If AMD is smart, their drivers for 6xxx has to be rock solid or public perception of their driver stability is sealed for an other generation or two, and dare I say, for fucking good reasons.

Wasn’t 50% according to the wildly unscientific poll though.  2 yeses, and one “a little bit” total.  What I kept on hearing watching review videos was “we keep hearing about problems but we’ve never experienced any” was the driver problem overblown?  You’ve described “horribly broken drivers” I believe your statement was.  Did you own a 5700xt? Did you have problems?

20 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Wasn’t 50% according to the wildly unscientific poll though.  2 yeses, and one “a little bit” total.  What I kept on hearing watching review videos was “we keep hearing about problems but we’ve never experienced any” was the driver problem overblown?  You’ve described “horribly broken drivers” I believe your statement was.  Did you own a 5700xt? Did you have problems?

I know there were real problems with multi- monitors set up and some 1080p 240Hz monitors.

However just in this forum I already helped diagnose two "AMD GPU driver" problems traced back to bad PSUs. Many people see their games crash and automatically blame the drivers because it's all over the place on reddit. Things can blow out of proportion easily nowadays. Just look at the 3080 SP caps fiasco. How some manufacturers cheap out on SP caps, blah blah. It turns out it's mostly just a driver bug. 

That gets me wonder how many are actually AMD driver related.

12 hours ago, leadeater said:

RX 5700 did have a fair amount of issues, that was quite a big transition of architecture compared to normal. GCN based cards have had really great driver stability for a long time, but that comes from not much really changing at all for the time. RDNA will end up the same too if it goes the same path, the other thing is AMD simply does have more resources now too so should be able to deal with this better if they choose to.

everything points to them going for good stability this time as a major focus, even support on the linux side is looking good, this being more evolution than revolution also will help quite a bit, fingers crossed, as my 480 is struggling a little to drive my ultrawide

1 hour ago, Deli said:

I know there were real problems with multi- monitors set up and some 1080p 240Hz monitors.

However just in this forum I already helped diagnose two "AMD GPU driver" problems traced back to bad PSUs. Many people see their games crash and automatically blame the drivers because it's all over the place on reddit. Things can blow out of proportion easily nowadays. Just look at the 3080 SP caps fiasco. How some manufacturers cheap out on SP caps, blah blah. It turns out it's mostly just a driver bug. 

That gets me wonder how many are actually AMD driver related.

i follow /r/amd and there there have been numerous cases of crashes being actually, instability elsewhere, most were either psu or overclocks (memory or cpu), but that doesn't necessarily mean that the gpu isn't the cause of the instability on other parts of the pc, what i think happens is that because boost algos are now really fast it makes controlling ripple in the 12v rail much harder, so there ends up being bigger troughs and peaks on the voltage, which can make other parts of the system become unstable if they were close to the point of instability, btw this is exactly what the 3080 was also causing, i could be totally wrong though

They'd need to radically redesign the driver, as of now it's still ATi Catalyst with tons of stuff tacked on which makes it extremely convoluted - and at least half of the stuff simply doesn't work... and from the other stuff that does work half of it does 'barely' 

For a start they shouldn't even show options that aren't compatible and flat out don't work for a specific model. 

And then they need to improve performance / stability, I don't get why I get like 75% of frames compared to a comparable nvidia card, when the amd has technically *more* stuff (ram etc) and then being told 'well games are *optimized* for nvidia...' 

That just doesn't fly with a lot of peeps hence they rather buy 'overpriced' nvidia cards that 'just work'... (and they really do, issues with drivers are extremely rare and usually get fixed - actually - within days, personally I didn't have issues since a year or so, and that's mostly because I'm on a stable driver and there's like zero reason to update it...) 

PS: 'synthetical benchmarks' I feel that sums it about up re: AMD drivers 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer