Should i do raid 0 ir not ?

Nets

Hello guys , iv got 2 nvme drives of 1 tb , One SN750 and other SN550 from western digital. Should i do raid 0 with them or wont give me anything good ? 

Ps: i have a third 2 more HDD drives for backup 

Thanks 

From my experience RAID on SSD increases bandwidth but decreases IOPS and increases latency.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

The only benefit to RAIDing those drives would be a contiguous volume. You'll see no noticeable increase in performance since NVMe is already much faster than is needed anyway.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

The only benefit to RAIDing those drives would be a contiguous volume.

Agree on this. In most cases I have seen, RAID 0 on NVMe drives is indeed used just to combine those in a single volume. 

raid 0 would mean if 1 drive fails, you lose all of your data.

if you want to test and see what the performance would be like, first test your drives with crystaldiskmark on their own

then in windows 10 pro search for 'storage spaces' and make a simple storage space with the ssds you want to use, and make a storage pool.

test the new storage pool with crystaldiskmark.

compare the performance. is the performance worth the hassle and risk of losing your data when 1 drive fails? its your choice

Thanks guys, well i do have 2 data ssds and One HDD and thats is where my data os stored plus One cloud that iv got in home.the nvme drives os just to install games etc but yea i Will leave it like that. Thanks

• 4 months later...

I actually have two SN550 1TB in RAID 0. I'm guessing it's better to have two identical drives since it's gonna rely on the speed of the slowest one. 

IMG_0240.png