Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Building a PC on a budget

Hi everyone.

A friend of mine will be building a PC, well, I'll be building it tbh, on a tight budget. I'll donate him some of the parts like the case, a PSU, and a hard drive. I also have a board but I'm not sure if it's any good.

In red is what we have, while in blue are the parts to be bought.

ASUS H310 M-CSM

Intel i3 8100/9100F

RX 570 ASUS

8GB 2400MHz RAM

M-ATX case from a prebuilt (2 side intakes 1 rear exhaust)

Seasonic M12II 520W

500GB Seagate HDD

Ok then, what I have works, not great not terrible I guess, the board was paired with a Celeron CPU, according to the site it can take both of the CPUs I've listed but the 9100F requires a BIOS update and since the board is old I'm sure it has the 1st BIOS version, I don't have any 1151 CPU to boot it so... that's one issue.

If the 9100F CPU is a lot better than the older model then he could get another board, but that'll cost some more. i5 or higher is too expensive.

The graphics card: we saw a 570 for around $125, new and unopened, at least that's what the store owner claims. Much cheaper than an nvidia or a newer RX 5500, there's also a 580 but it's that horrible MSI Armor ed. which has some serious cooling issues, and that'd be really bad inside a regular non-edgy-gaming case. The other option is a 1650 Ventus XS (never heard of it) that has half the VRAM but is newer, not sure which one is better.

btw my friend has a 1366x768p monitor and currently plays on a laptop hooked up to it, will that work?

Definitely 9100F, do not get an 8100, it doesn't have turbo boost. 

Don't buy the RX 570 from the store, sounds sketchy. Polaris GPUs were the most popular for mining, and there's no way of telling whether a card is unused or was in a mining rig running 24x7 for 3 years. It's not worth the $15 you'll save, an RX 570 is $140 anyway.

1366x768 is a crappy resolution and the monitor is most likely a crappy panel. A Freesync IPS monitor will cost you under $100 anyway

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVL2D2S

ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA

The 9100F is worth the headache if you can figure out the BIOS update.

A used RX 480 8GB can be had on eBay for $120 or so. A 580 will cost you a little more, and tbqh you can overclock a 480 to "close enough". eBay gives you a 30-day return window no matter what the seller says if the card arrives damaged or doesn't work, or if it stops working during that 30 day period. If you scour auctions that are about to end on Friday nights, you'd be amazed at what you can find and how little you pay for it.

Of course, if you're just looking for 1366x768, an argument could be made that you don't even need a GPU for a playable experience (if your CPU has an integrated one). I highly recommend finding a 1080p panel. Back when I was doing a lot of flipping (2017-2019), there was a while where I couldn't go to a yard sale without tripping over a 21" monitor, and a lot of those were older 1080p displays in great shape. You can probably find something along those lines in a thrift shop for $20-30 if you want to go that route, but keep in mind that thrift shops are basically retail yard sales. The same no-returns policy typically applies. Just Google the monitor's model number while you're looking at it to make sure you aren't about to buy a 1366x768 display by mistake. Brand new 1080p displays run as low as $60-70 and as high as $infinity, but you should be able to get a solid 24" IPS panel for around $100-120.

Sincerely,

me

12 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Definitely 9100F, do not get an 8100, it doesn't have turbo boost. 

Don't buy the RX 570 from the store, sounds sketchy. Polaris GPUs were the most popular for mining, and there's no way of telling whether a card is unused or was in a mining rig running 24x7 for 3 years. It's not worth the $15 you'll save, an RX 570 is $140 anyway.

1366x768 is a crappy resolution and the monitor is most likely a crappy panel. A Freesync IPS monitor will cost you under $100 anyway

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVL2D2S

Will the turbo make a difference when running a game? not sure how that works but isn't the 4.1GHz frequency only for 1 of the cores? or for all of them but only during a brief period?

40 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Will the turbo make a difference when running a game? not sure how that works but isn't the 4.1GHz frequency only for 1 of the cores? or for all of them but only during a brief period?

That's 4.2 GHz for a single core, but it goes up 4.1 ghz on 3 cores and 4ghz on all cores, which is significantly more than 3.6. Just how much cheaper is the 8100 in your area? Because the 9100F is like $70. $50 if you buy it at Micro Center, since they have their $20 motherboard bundle discount.

The good thing about the 8100 is the iGPU, as a backup in case your GPU fails. Also lets you buy those weird mining GPUs (dirt-cheap modified 1060s, 1070s, and 1080s) which don't have display outputs, because you can just set the display output to the iGPU instead using passthrough.

ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA