Corsair H100i Capellix pump won't turn on after PC wakes up from sleep

Go to solution Solved by Mida4,

Final update: after exchanging the old unit for a new one, the new one has been working perfectly so far where the pump would turn on after PC wakes up from sleep and pump would just turn on all the time in general whenever the PC gets powered on. Turns out the first unit I got was defective this entire time...

15 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

just throw on the stock cooler that came with the cpu. it will be fine

Problem is that I need to buy thermal paste since the paste from the stock fan had to be cleaned off. Buying new paste might take up to a week of shipping (I dont got amazon prime) if I want to buy really good paste like the Noctua paste. At that point I would have already exchanged the AIO by then so wouldn't need the paste anyways. But at least it's not like the AIO is totally unusable that I need something new ASAP. I just can't put my PC to sleep for longer than 30 minutes or so and it should function as normal. A bit inconvenient sure but not completely debilitating.  

Last update for this week probably. Corsair now said there's really no more troubleshooting steps left to take so it's better to exchange for a new one. If that new one still doesn't work, then it's going to be motherboard issues. At that point I'll probably contact Asus to see if they can help fix the problem. Since I have school the whole day this weekend, I have to wait Saturday to go to best buy for my product exchange. Hopefully this was just a 1 time thing and not because my motherboard is rejecting the AIO

Highly unlikely that it is the motherboard. Maybe a problem with windows. Could try a windows forums 

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

Highly unlikely that it is the motherboard. Maybe a problem with windows. Could try a windows forums 

Really? What can windows be doing to cause such malfunction?

all im saying it doesn't sound like a motherboard hardware issue or you would have other issues. so it leaves software, os, or the aio itself. what that problem is i don't anymore.

are you still getting the cpu fan error at boot?

i am assuming that you have unplugged the aio from the commander pro and plugged it back it. also checking for loose or pinched wired?

have you tried not have icue installed?

sorry just double checking on somethings

3 hours ago, narrdarr said:

are you still getting the cpu fan error at boot?

i am assuming that you have unplugged the aio from the commander pro and plugged it back it. also checking for loose or pinched wired?

have you tried not have icue installed?

sorry just double checking on somethings

Not sure if I'm imaging it but the CPU fan error is becoming more frequent when I first power on the PC initially and not just from sleep too.

All wires were plugged and unplugged and checked to see if they were all securely plugged in.

iCUE potentially causing it was resolved at the initial post where it was tested that the pump can turn on with or without iCUE installed (and also fail to turn on with or without iCUE installed too)

Now that you mention pinched wires, there was some slight damage to the cables when I opened the package but I think it was just the outer sleeve being damaged and not the internal wirings itself (at least I don't think so). The cable that connects the pump to the Commander Core has a couple of holes and gashes in it and the USB cable has some wires slightly frayed sticking out a bit. Here's a couple of pictures with captions of the images. Do you think these damage are enough to cripple the cable connections? https://imgur.com/a/F3gJhZB

Can you plug a regular into the cpu fan header. Plug the aio into the cpu opt

Don't worry about controlling the fan speed it's just a test.

As for the damaged cables im not sure but maybe

8 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Can you plug a regular into the cpu fan header. Plug the aio into the cpu opt

Don't worry about controlling the fan speed it's just a test.

As for the damaged cables im not sure but maybe

When you say regular do you mean just any regular case fan plugged into the CPU fan header?

1 hour ago, Mida4 said:

When you say regular do you mean just any regular case fan plugged into the CPU fan header?

Yep. You can even take one off the CCP. 

It doesn't matter.

9 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Yep. You can even take one off the CCP. 

It doesn't matter.

I guess I can try it either tomorrow or 2 days depending on how much school work I have to do first

OK Corsair just told me to directly send it to them instead of getting a product exchange from Best Buy where I got it because they want to personally inspect the unit. They said they are willing to send overnight express shipping for the new unit and provide a return shipping label for the current unit back to them as soon as I receive the new unit (I'm assuming return shipping label means they already paid for shipping for me).

49 minutes ago, Mida4 said:

OK Corsair just told me to directly send it to them instead of getting a product exchange from Best Buy where I got it because they want to personally inspect the unit. They said they are willing to send overnight express shipping for the new unit and provide a return shipping label for the current unit back to them as soon as I receive the new unit (I'm assuming return shipping label means they already paid for shipping for me).

yup

56 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

yup

I just went ahead and replied to do the exchange to them since they are saying the damaged wires might be causing the unit to not receive enough power sometimes and they should inspect it. The only risky thing is if I get the replacement and the 2nd unit also doesn't work, Best Buy would not refund the money back unless the original product gets shipped back from Corsair to me again since the serial numbers won't match. At least Corsair said they will help with the refund if that happens but it looks pretty messy. Either way, I should get a new unit from them in a few days to do a test run and update the results here

Small update on that: Corsair said even with express air shipping, they still can't actually ship the replacement to me by Saturday (said it would all the way until mid next week because COVID problems) so they just told me to go exchange at Best Buy instead.

Final update: after exchanging the old unit for a new one, the new one has been working perfectly so far where the pump would turn on after PC wakes up from sleep and pump would just turn on all the time in general whenever the PC gets powered on. Turns out the first unit I got was defective this entire time...