Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Corsair H100i Capellix pump won't turn on after PC wakes up from sleep

Go to solution Solved by Mida4,

Final update: after exchanging the old unit for a new one, the new one has been working perfectly so far where the pump would turn on after PC wakes up from sleep and pump would just turn on all the time in general whenever the PC gets powered on. Turns out the first unit I got was defective this entire time...

Detailed series of pics to follow along the issue: https://imgur.com/a/UfMGX6a

The H100i Capellix pump does not seem to turn on after my PC wakes up from sleeping after about 30 minutes or more and sometimes, it just won't turn on at all even after completely shutting off the PC and powering it back on. The PC would say "CPU fan error" on start up. The case fans are still lightly spinning but there were no RGB lights on either the fan or pump head and the pump wasn't working. Everything is connected properly including the pump tach cable plugged into the CPU_FAN header. I tried different SATA power cables to make sure they weren't broken and the cables were not defective. The SATA cables powered all of my storage devices and the Lightning Node CORE properly. Going into BIOS shows the pump fan not spinning and CPU temperatures constantly rising well pass 70 C and continuing to climb until I shut the PC off manually to prevent overheat damage.

At first I thought it was iCUE being wonky since it failed to detect the H100i Cappelix after the PC wakes up from sleep (when everything is working normally, iCUE would detect it as usual). I restarted the software and even uninstalled/reinstalled it but that didn't solve it. I then completely uninstalled iCUE to see if it really was the software at fault. I first did a controlled test where I did a normal PC power on with iCUE uninstalled and the pump worked as usual. Then I put my PC to sleep and woke it up after 1 hour. The H100i Capellix did not turn on, showing that iCUE had nothing to do with the pump not working.

Also I'm noticing that the pump makes this thump sound every 4 seconds but I'm not sure if that's normal or an actual defect (I confirmed it's the pump making that thump sound because when I touched the pump, I directly felt the vibration every thump). Here's a short video of it I filmed. It's sort of hard to hear so the volume might need to be turned up high but the thump sound happened thrice in the video.

Also Corsair support reached out to me and sent me a special firmware file to force update the Capellix in iCUE but that still did not solve the problem (considering iCUE wasn't the issue after all). Does anybody know what exactly is going on?

Here is my PC specs too:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

CPU cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX

Fans: Corsair QL 120 mm 3x & QL 140 mm 2x

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB DDR4 3200

have you tried a different fan and/or usb header?

7 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

have you tried a different fan and/or usb header?

Yes I swapped those as well and everything was functional. Although do note the fans were still spinning even though the pump itself wasn't activated. I even tried using different devices on my motherboard USB headers and all the headers worked for other devices as well. The USB header works with the Capellix AIO too when it functions as normal

Edit: big note is that the fans, RGB and pump are all connected into the same box (the new commander core) and all powered by the same SATA power cable.

are there any changes when changing the pump speed in icue?

5 minutes ago, Mida4 said:

Edit: big note is that the fans, RGB and pump are all connected into the same box (the new commander core) and all powered by the same SATA power cable.

the pump should be connected to a fan header

edit: on the motherboard

Just now, narrdarr said:

Yeah when everything is functioning normally, I have total control over the pump speed, fan speed, RGB, all that good stuff, via iCUE

4 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

the pump should be connected to a fan header

edit: on the motherboard

Yes the pump tach cable plugged into the CPU_FAN header on my motherboard (I checked it to see if the connection was secure too). The rest of the cables were plugged into commander core and the commander core is powered by the SATA cable and the core is also connected to the USB header on the motherboard 

2 minutes ago, Mida4 said:

Yeah when everything is functioning normally, I have total control over the pump speed, fan speed, RGB, all that good stuff, via iCUE

i mean when thing are not working correctly are you able to change the fan speed and if so, are you able to see affects take place?

13 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

i mean when thing are not working correctly are you able to change the fan speed and if so, are you able to see affects take place?

On the last pic posted in my imgur link when the Capellix pump wasn't able to turn on, the Capellix icon totally disappeared from iCUE so I can't even access any controls for fan speed, pump speed, anything. Pic 4 is when iCUE is functioning normally and it shows the Capellix icon

15 minutes ago, Mida4 said:

On the last pic posted in my imgur link, the Capellix icon totally disappeared from iCUE so I can't even access any controls. Pic 4 is when iCUE is functioning normally and it shows the Capellix icon

i had this happen one time, but it corrected itself in a weird way.

i have a h100i v2. when it came back icue saw it as not as "h100i v2", but rather "h100 v2(1)". Not sure what triggered it. it being working fine since, but there are some other things we can try.

try a different fan header instead of the cpu_header

if you have a an additional rgb software run in parallel with icue disable it

both ways with working and not working under setting in icue enable or disable "enable skd" and/or "enable plugins" restarting the icue maybe be needed. so it may take some extra time testing these.

if you have an asus motherboard i seen other issues creating proble between the two controlling software. problem was solved by deleting the plugin file asus. its the .dll for asus under the plugin folder in the icue folder.

22 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

i had this happen one time, but it corrected itself in a weird way.

i have a h100i v2. when it came back icue saw it as not as "h100i v2", but rather "h100 v2(1)". Not sure what triggered it. it being working fine since, but there are some other things we can try.

try a different fan header instead of the cpu_header

if you have a an additional rgb software run in parallel with icue disable it

both ways with working and not working under setting in icue enable or disable "enable skd" and/or "enable plugins" restarting the icue maybe be needed. so it may take some extra time testing these.

if you have an asus motherboard i seen other issues creating proble between the two controlling software. problem was solved by deleting the plugin file asus. its the .dll for asus under the plugin folder in the icue folder.

"try a different fan header instead of the cpu_header"

I should plug it into the CPU_OPT instead of CPU_FAN then? The CPU_FAN is functional though since my stock Ryzen cooler didn't have issues with it either. I guess I can try to swap it to CPU_OPT later then. If I do swap to that header, would the motherboard detect the pump from that new header automatically or do I have to manually go to BIOS to make it detect it?

1 minute ago, Mida4 said:

"try a different fan header instead of the cpu_header"

I should plug it into the CPU_OPT instead of CPU_FAN then? The CPU_FAN is functional though since my stock Ryzen cooler didn't have issues with it either. I guess I can try to swap it to CPU_OPT later then. If I do swap to that header, would the motherboard detect the pump from that new header automatically or do I have to manually go to BIOS to make it detect it?

it will do it automatically unless you have disabled it before. you can also use any fan header it doesn't have be cpu_header or cpu_out.

Playing with all the different setting combos involving SDK and plugins and nothing is working. The pump still won't turn on after waking up from sleep. I've been looking at other forums and some people have been saying maybe it has something to do with the “USB controllers” not being migrated when checking device manager. Although none of my USB connection devices are showing their names for some reason, the one I highlight was the Capellix connection since it’s showing the correct time and date of when I first installed it. When I clicked on properties and then went to “events” tab, it says the device was not migrated, whatever that means. Maybe this is the key to the problem? 

USB no migrate.png

sounds reasonable

first step

are your drivers up to date?

Yeah that's the thing. All the drivers are up to date and all software versions are the latest. What's the cause for it to say "device not migrated"?

image.png.380f93b64ad1e0e2575d6ea055595a3e.png

did you update all our drivers from the motherboards website? or are you using windows defaults?

I used the windows search online function

what motherboard do you have?

what motherboard do you have?

My specs was listed: 

When I went into the motherboard BIOS, it says my BIOS version was 1407

My specs was listed: 

use these drivers

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/HelpDesk_Download/

might as well update all

36 minutes ago, Mida4 said:

Oh right been meaning to ask people that. What's the proper way to update the BIOS driver? Does it involve saving the file into a flashdrive and using that to update to update it once you enter BIOS or something?

yup

any asus bios update video can guide you through it

edit: i would just worry about drivers first tho

11 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

yup

any asus bios update video can guide you through it

edit: i would just worry about drivers first tho

Oh which drivers should I update out of the choices then? Also does updating the drivers require doing the enter BIOS and use flashdrive thing?

Oh which drivers should I update out of the choices then? Also does updating the drivers require doing the enter BIOS and use flashdrive thing?

no driver update will require a bios update first. now days it technically doesn't matter which you do first, but i still fallow the way of doing drivers. which is chipset driver first then everything else

you can skip anything that is a utility aka:

utility-ASUS TUF CPU-Z

utility-Armoury Crate & AURA Creator Installer

and the:

Qualified Vendor List

you also wont need the:

VGA drive and you have a separate gpu

download:

chipset ( looks like it will be the most important one)

secondaries are:

audio

lan

wireless

sata

bluetooth