Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How chipset USB physical wiring were routed

Yesterday I found out that for USB of any chipset or PCH, they are routed in rather 'weird' way:

The chipset or PCH only provide USB 2.0 connection, and it can be a lot. If the board manufacturer wanted to make a USB 3.0 port, they mix the USB 2.0 connection with the SS pins (SSRx +/-, SSTx +/-) into the port. The SS pins can come from PCIe connection. And once they had it wired, they then program the chipset which USB 2.0 connection is fitted with USB 3.0 SS pins.

For X570, there are 2 USB controller, each of them has 6 USB 2.0 connections. 4 of the connections can be combined with the SS pins to turn them into USB 3.0 ports. I'm not sure if my findings are accurate, because I'm not sure how the connections were routed. As for Intel PCH Z490, I don't know how many USB controller it has, but I know it has 14 USB 2.0 connections, and it can be connected together with 6 dedicated HSIO (High Speed Input Output) to convert 6 of the USB connection into USB 3.2 Gen 2 or Gen 1 ports and 4 HSIO (shared with PCIe lanes) for additional 4 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports. The Intel CPU has no USB ports as far as I can tell, unlike AMD AM4 CPU or APU.

I mean, why do the USB has to wired in such a way, though? Can't they like made USB 3.0 ports into dedicated ports? Why they had to combine data signals from USB 2.0 with PCIe or SS lanes to turn it into USB 3.0 ports?

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Why? Snip.

To maintain backwards compatibility. Most devices dont even need the bandwidth of USB 3.0 let alone 3.1 3.2 ect.

Also to help users out can run legacy compatibility mode in bios when in a jam and usb drivers not installed. This is how I run W7 on Z390 for example. Regardless the USB driver for Z170 is similar, so still can install a driver for 3.0 on W7, but it can be tricky.

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! -

- Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below.

Spoiler

On 10/23/2020 at 9:23 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

To maintain backwards compatibility. Most devices dont even need the bandwidth of USB 3.0 let alone 3.1 3.2 ect.

Also to help users out can run legacy compatibility mode in bios when in a jam and usb drivers not installed. This is how I run W7 on Z390 for example. Regardless the USB driver for Z170 is similar, so still can install a driver for 3.0 on W7, but it can be tricky.

Hmm... I see.