Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Terrible Microphone Quality On New Pc

My girlfriend and I have the exact same headset, her microphone sounds great, and so did mine on my old pc. Recently upgraded and now I blast everyone with background noise and it sounds kind of 'damp' as well.

I know close to nothing regarding audio drivers, so forgive any dumb comments I make on this,

I think my old computer used realtek HD audio drivers, this new one says it uses "high definition audio device", or sometimes refers to it as "Audio Endpoint".

I attempted installing Realtek drivers however I was met with error 0001 and decided to stop in case I messed things up further.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Asus has audio drivers on their website that you should probably download.

image.thumb.png.0124c22d33697fbcb12b773c17d359ac.png

Thanks, I'll look into this and let you know what happens :)

I’ve never heard of the corporate stable model. It seems like an unusually bare board, stripes not withstanding. Looking at the back, there isn’t a lot of I/o.  it’s got pretty minimal audio jacks which implies a fairly cheap onboard audio solution.   What was the old motherboard that worked well?

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I’ve never heard of the corporate stable model. It seems like an unusually bare board, stripes not withstanding. Looking at the back, there isn’t a lot of I/o.  it’s got pretty minimal audio jacks which implies a fairly cheap onboard audio solution.   What was the old motherboard that worked well?

When looking in system specs the old motherboard only came up as PO3-600, which was the model of the predator build from memory. My friends said it was probably some dodgy no-name motherboard.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

That's what I thought as well about the audio solution. I have no idea what is up with the CSM(corporate stable model) but it looks to be the exact same as the standard X570-p, either way it doesn't look to be really high end.

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

That's what I thought as well about the audio solution. I have no idea what is up with the CSM(corporate stable model) but it looks to be the exact same as the standard X570-p, either way it doesn't look to be really high end.

Pretty expensive motherboard for low end though I’ve heard there are some terrible x570 mobos out there.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Pretty expensive motherboard for low end though I’ve heard there are some terrible x570 mobos out there.

This one isn't as bad as it looks to be honest. From the looks of it just lacks some features that you get with boards that cost more.

image.thumb.png.0c0927822277efa5ac0ffd29a68f26a0.png

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Of course that is true, the biostar X570 GT is a great example of a crappy X570 board, it looks comparable to an A320 tbh.

X570GT AMD Socket AM4 gaming motherboard

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

This one isn't as bad as it looks to be honest. From the looks of it just lacks some features that you get with boards that cost more.

image.thumb.png.0c0927822277efa5ac0ffd29a68f26a0.png

That’s good.  See how the correct drivers go I guess.  If that fails next step might be some sort of external DAC

Installing Realtek drivers from the ASUS website appears to have improved the quality, though it hasn't completely killed off the noise, and still sounds worse than my girlfriends microphone.

However it is much better than before, thank you for this fix, @AndreiArgeanu 

If anyone has further suggestions as to how to improve the microphone quality even more, it would be much appreciated.

Just now, Ryan.wor said:

Installing Realtek drivers from the ASUS website appears to have improved the quality, though it hasn't completely killed off the noise, and still sounds worse than my girlfriends microphone.

However it is much better than before, thank you for this fix, @AndreiArgeanu 

If anyone has further suggestions as to how to improve the microphone quality even more, it would be much appreciated.

There is RTX voice if you have an nvidia 20 series card or newer but I believe there is a way to get it working on older cards as well. You could also try changing the microphone settings inside the control panel, like trying to decrease the microphone boost.

image.png.8feab0673ae5160ab3bfef3bc485b7da.png

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

There is RTX voice if you have an nvidia 20 series card or newer but I believe there is a way to get it working on older cards as well. You could also try changing the microphone settings inside the control panel, like trying to decrease the microphone boost.

image.png.8feab0673ae5160ab3bfef3bc485b7da.png

A problem I had with my previous computer as well as this one is that my microphone is always incredibly quiet. It is at 100 in settings, I would always boost it to 10db which makes it an acceptable volume, but introduces some mild noise. 20db boost is too far as the noise is too much. 

My girlfriends headset (same as mine) is always very loud and clear, with no noise at all. 

I considered noise reduction programs but I assume they would just make the quality dive bomb 

6 minutes ago, Ryan.wor said:

A problem I had with my previous computer as well as this one is that my microphone is always incredibly quiet. It is at 100 in settings, I would always boost it to 10db which makes it an acceptable volume, but introduces some mild noise. 20db boost is too far as the noise is too much. 

My girlfriends headset (same as mine) is always very loud and clear, with no noise at all. 

I considered noise reduction programs but I assume they would just make the quality dive bomb 

RTX Voice is actually pretty effective at reducing noise with decent quality. Another thing you could try is using your girlfriend's headset to see if you encounter the same issues as you do with your own headset. If you have the same noise issues then it's probably something to do with the motherboard or drivers in which case your only choice to reduce noise is to use a program like RTX Voice and if you don't encounter the same issues you do with your mic then it may just be that you got unlucky and your headset got a worse mic.

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

RTX Voice is actually pretty effective at reducing noise with decent quality. Another thing you could try is using your girlfriend's headset to see if you encounter the same issues as you do with your own headset. If you have the same noise issues then it's probably something to do with the motherboard or drivers in which case your only choice to reduce noise is to use a program like RTX Voice and if you don't encounter the same issues you do with your mic then it may just be that you got unlucky and your headset got a worse mic.

Thank you for this suggestion, I will bookmark this video in case the issue arises again, because I appear to have completely fixed the issue.

These headphones support cable connection or wireless USB, I NEVER use the wireless feature, and just use the detachable cable because I don't want to charge it every few hours.

By using the cable AND plugging in the wireless USB the noise has disappeared and my voice is loud and clear. 

This still confuses me however, as my girlfriend has never used the USB and it sounds fine for her with just cable. I swapped our headsets around and they both sound bad on my machine and great on hers, must be my hardware I assume

Regardless, the issue seems to be fixed for now. Thankyou for everyone's input and suggestions. 

2 hours ago, Ryan.wor said:

Thank you for this suggestion, I will bookmark this video in case the issue arises again, because I appear to have completely fixed the issue.

Just to add on to what's already been said here, there are open source alternatives to RTX voice that do basically the same thing so you may want to look into those, keep in mind also that RTX voice also works on some non-rtx cards so that may be another option.

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations