PSU Shroud level fan

Mr. Pettit
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

About 3rd of airflow from the bottom fan should still go to GPU. PSUs fan intakes, so fan blowing towards PSU is fine as extra cooling. Plus since those cases usually have HDD bays on the bottom ,the fan would provide some cooling to those drives too.

Hey everybody,

So this is just a quick question about intake fans. I have a CoolerMaster Masterbox NR600 case, and due to the cutouts I have 3 120mm Noctua fans instead of 2 140mms. I never really thought about it, but the lowest of the three blows directly into the PSU shroud, which has no ventilation cutouts and I would assume does nothing for the PSU (the fan for the PSU is facing downward). Does the fan actually does much, or is is just producing additional noise with no real cooling benefit? There's probably only about an inch or two of the fan that actually sits above the shroud. I can’t imagine that tiny bit makes a substantial difference.  

Thanks in advance!

ljyuMjW.jpg

About 3rd of airflow from the bottom fan should still go to GPU. PSUs fan intakes, so fan blowing towards PSU is fine as extra cooling. Plus since those cases usually have HDD bays on the bottom ,the fan would provide some cooling to those drives too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I guess that's true, didn't think of that. I don't know much about fans and assumed that the tiny bit of fan that is actually above the shroud wouldn't do much do help with the GPU's temperature. I also don't have and HDDs, just two SSDs which are mounted on the cable management side of the case next to the motherboard.

1 minute ago, Mr. Pettit said:

I guess that's true, didn't think of that. I don't know much about fans and assumed that the tiny bit of fan that is actually above the shroud wouldn't do much do help with the GPU's temperature. I also don't have and HDDs, just two SSDs which are mounted on the cable management side of the case next to the motherboard.

Easy little mod would be to add angled piece of cardboard to direct more airflow towards GPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I would put the fans on other side of the bracket as it usually makes less noise that way.