iPhone 12 Pro so expensive in India that you can fly to Dubai to buy it, come back, and still save money

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
2 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

And what makes you think other flagship phones are affordable there?

The post I was replying to said as much. They said Apple's phones were overpriced and that other phones available were not overpriced. "as other phones are priced fairly."

If they think that the other phones are priced fairly they should buy them instead of the iPhone, which they feel is not priced fairly.

4 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Here in Canada, if you get a 50 dollars plan...

India's phone plans are vastly different to the rest of the world. They're insanely cheap. So cheap that major providers in India are planning on raising prices 10 fold.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1238855-india-is-going-to-get-10x-price-hike-for-cellular-data/

It's currently common to pay around 60c per month for calls/text plan, or around $2 to $3 per month for unlimited calls + 1GB daily data limit. I don't think India has the concept of paying $50/month for a phone plan and getting a 'free' device with it. I could be wrong, but given how cheap their phone plans are I can't imagine it being successful there.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

In your case, yeah, totally agree with you, but plans are not cheap in Canada and America if compared to Europe and Asia.

Competitor's plan has even crazier plan for 10€, especially for those who value data more than calls and SMS. It's 100 minutes, 100 SMS and 100GB for 10€. They do have a bit slower LTE on purpose, but it's probably not terribly inconvenient. When i first pick my plan it had 3000 calls, 3000 SMS and 3000 MB. And thanks to magic of competition, it evolved from 3GB  to 35GB. Dunno why literally all other carrier plans start at 25€ no matter what they offer. And often they are way crappier than mine. Who buys that?!

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Who buys that?!

People with either too much money, or with not so many expenses (as when you live in with your parents). They may be looking for a company with potentially stronger and consistent signal, and better coverage. My colleague at work pays CAD108 on his plan (Rogers). That's nuts in my opinion, but he just doesn't care because he lives with his parents and don't even worry about groceries or rent/mortgage (or buy expensive computer parts, because oh well, we all need it).

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Just wondering, since I don't follow your economy, was it always that much or did it increase when the 5 came out?  As I've seen that happen before.

its the same from the start 30k INR

"but import taxes"

...they're not importing.

"but luxury taxes"

...other phones have a much lower markup despite being overall more expensive.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:56 PM, Spotty said:

If you do not like the price of the iPhone but are satisfied with the pricing of competing products then simply buy the other phones. No one needs an iPhone

Indeed, just don't buy iPhones. Ever.

But also let's not pretend this is anything other than Apple being greedy.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

"but import taxes"

...they're not importing.

"but luxury taxes"

...other phones have a much lower markup despite being overall more expensive.

Indeed, just don't buy iPhones. Ever.

But also let's not pretend this is anything other than Apple being greedy.

And buy what? Samsung with its actually higher price tag than iPhones? Realme that churns out cheap phones with decent specs pretty much weekly and it's a miracle if you ever get any support for any of them. OnePlus that isn't sure what it even wants to be? What? Or iPhone that despite all the whining people do, actually "just works", has good balance of components and offers industry leading software support that you always receive instantly and not months after it gets announced like with ALL Androids. Unless you go with Pixel. Which still has just sad 3 years of support and its only bright spot is the camera. The rest is rather sad given they sell it for 699€ (coz $=€). Yeah, I'm just gonna take an iPhone. It's a well rounded package with very little things I can complain about. But Android fanboys just can't stop staring at specs and price tag all day long like that's all it matters. Guess what, it doesn't.

In other news - Consumers will still purchase it at these costs and Apple will continue to thrive

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

The Samsung costs more so taxes should be higher, or are higher taxes on the iphone because Apple has a factory in India?

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

The Samsung costs more so taxes should be higher, or are higher taxes on the iphone because Apple has a factory in India?

Someone said that while they have a factory it isn’t online yet or something. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Some folks I know are getting it from DUBAI. You get international warranty apparently.

The pricing is so Apple.

47 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Or iPhone that despite all the whining people do, actually "just works"

I can buy 4 cheap phones over the course of years for the price of an iphone. The last cheap phone I bought is still going strong 5 years later. iPhones have had dozens of design flaws and critical bugs over that time period. The idea that you get a more reliable experience is just a myth and even if that were the case, again, you can replace your phone multiple times before you wallet gets shafted as much as it would by buying an iphone.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

22 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

In other news - Consumers will still purchase it at these costs and Apple will continue to thrive

You make it sound like Samsung or any other smartphone brand don't. That only Apple has this outlandish prices and only they are thriving. Which is total bull. Apple's prices aren't even that ridiculous. Sure if you just look at the spec sheet and price and declare it's expensive for what it's listed on spec sheet, then fine. But as whole experience, it's something probably very few Android makers can even match. And I'm saying this after being on Android since Eiclar to Pie and am now on iOS from 12 to 14. Between 900€ iPhone 12 and 900€ Galaxy S20, I'd pick iPhone any time if I'm honest. The Samsung's "3 years of updates, we pinky promise" is worth next to nothing given they can't even openly declare which models will have those 3 years guaranteed and their track record is shit. It's all so vague and when you're paying 900€ for a phone, I damn well want to know if I'm getting updates or not. There is no such mystery with any iPhone. And I just can't stand the fact Samsung sells us Europeans their inferior Exynos for same price as rest of the world gets superior Snapdragon. That's some next level bullcrap and I don't see any outrage on level people have with Apple non stop for far more petty things.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

-snip-

My point was that consumers allow these trends, nothing more or less. :)

My brother gets all the latest apple tech, its amazing what it can do.  Whatever is the latest greatest phone is the one he has and the camera/video is insanely nice. 

EDIT - heck my wife has an iPhone but I dont know which because Im not interested.  My personal smart phone was produced in 2012.  I dont upgrade something that works

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

major providers in India are planning on raising prices 10 fold.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1238855-india-is-going-to-get-10x-price-hike-for-cellular-data/

It's currently common to pay around 60c per month for calls/text plan, or around $2 to $3 per month for unlimited calls + 1GB daily data limit. I don't think India has the concept of paying $50/month for a phone plan and getting a 'free' device with it. I could be wrong, but given how cheap their phone plans are I can't imagine it being successful there.

it ain't happening, Airtel will shutshop a week after that plan is introduced as Indian govt allows to ppl to PORT to a different network with the same phone number, that was basically what happened when a company called jio started giving ppl a GB per day rather than a GB per whole month and everyone and their dog ported their number which prompted other network companies like vodafone/airtel to offer the same plans, but what did happen last year was everyone decided to increase the price at the same time, was basically network mafia. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Just now, Tristerin said:

My point was that consumers allow these trends, nothing more or less. :)

My brother gets all the latest apple tech, its amazing what it can do.  Whatever is the latest greatest phone is the one he has and the camera/video is insanely nice. 

The thing is, with iPhone, you're not really under pressure to buy new one. I've gone through 2 new iPhone launches and while I thought "that's nice" both times, I actually like my iPhone XR. It's fast, it has really nice image, banging sound, battery lasts really long for my needs, makes amazing photos and while it didn't get night mode for camera officially, I could ad it using NeuralCam app which uses neural unit in the chipset to create bright and sharp night photos. On top of that timely updates are just sublime. Android users just can't fathom how you see news about new update and you can get it right away. For 5 years! I absolutely hated with Android how Google announced new version of Android and then it took months to receive it on Samsung or Huawei or whatever. And often you just didn't get it at all because vendor's best interest is to sell you a new device. Apple doesn't follow that mentality and it shows. I'm sticking with 2 years old phone and I love it.

17 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

So, apparently th 4a just got there and the 5 isn't out.   This is how little I follow the pixel.

I dont think they have launched the 5 at all for india. I could be wrong though

✨FNIGE✨

Apple and iphones are for idiots, tech illeterates, just because you can use email and tik tok on your 2000$ iShitphone doesnt mean you are tech literate, you need to understand how it works under the hood and value for money.

You dont really need more than 200-500$ phone ever, the rest you pay for apple premium tax is basically just like buying luxury, its 10-20% better and 5x more expensive, do you really need a beach house in dubai that costs 5mil$? no you can buy a beach house in spain, or greece, or any USA state that has one for as little as 100k$.

Imagine still being hyped up by iPhones.

6 hours ago, yian88 said:

Apple and iphones are for idiots, tech illeterates, just because you can use email and tik tok on your 2000$ iShitphone doesnt mean you are tech literate, you need to understand how it works under the hood and value for money.

You dont really need more than 200-500$ phone ever, the rest you pay for apple premium tax is basically just like buying luxury, its 10-20% better and 5x more expensive, do you really need a beach house in dubai that costs 5mil$? no you can buy a beach house in spain, or greece, or any USA state that has one for as little as 100k$.

No, you don't need more than a no-frills smartphone, but here's the thing: people are allowed to buy things simply because they want them. I bought my iPhone XS because I wanted a great camera, a nice display, brisk performance, years of timely updates and tight integration with devices like the Apple Watch. I could've bought a mid-range OnePlus or Pixel phone, but I probably wouldn't be as happy with it. "10-20% better" is sometimes true, but I would very much disagree here — it's just a question of whether or not you can find the value.

Also, why the hell should you need to be tech literate to use a product? A device should be easy enough to use that you can focus on what you'll accomplish with it, not figuring it out or maintaining it. And just because you prefer easy to use doesn't make you an idiot; it often means you have different priorities in life. A doctor or scientist who uses an iPhone is still an intelligent person, they'd just rather improve humanity's condition than spend hours tweaking Android launchers.

I never quite get why some people have an almost masochistic approach to tech, where you're only a 'real' enthusiast if your devices are unnecessarily complicated or appeal to tinkerers. "Oh, make it harder to use, baby, harder! Less intuitive! Make me spend hours getting it to work properly!"

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Android phones do have nice cameras, nice displays, brisk performance, years of updates[my dad's s7 is still getting updates], and they do have good integration with plenty of devices.   That doesn't mean you can't like your phone, but eh ya that's not exclusive to it.

Oh, I know you can get some good Android phones — I'm just dismantling yian88's claim that you're somehow making a terrible mistake by buying anything other than a "good enough" phone.

(I'd also note that Android is only just getting to three years of updates, and they're rarely timely.)

On 10/22/2020 at 3:36 PM, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

which is why i don't buy the argument "india adds luxury tax so don't blame apple" argument as other phones are priced fairly. 

Asus ROG 2 was priced 542$  https://gadgets.ndtv.com/asus-rog-phone-5496#:~:text=Asus ROG Phone price in India starts from ₹ 26%2C499,Flipkart on 22nd October 2020.

which was $ 669 phone in USA 

Let's be honest there is no way they would put a luxury tax on the rog 2 phone. It would be a disgrace to call that a luxury phone. I would like to point out that while the rog 2 phone may be priced at a normal price most hardware isn't in India almost across the board so part of me thinks that there maybe some forces at work that cause this rather than the world collectively deciding to price things higher in India. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Let's be honest there is no way they would put a luxury tax on the rog 2 phone. It would be a disgrace to call that a luxury phone. I would like to point out that while the rog 2 phone may be priced at a normal price most hardware isn't in India almost across the board so part of me thinks that there maybe some forces at work that cause this rather than the world collectively deciding to price things higher in India. 

I suspect It’s an import tax with a bunch of exemptions.  I don’t know the details though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

38 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Let's be honest there is no way they would put a luxury tax on the rog 2 phone. It would be a disgrace to call that a luxury phone.

and the govt also considers sanitary pads luxury, your point makes no sense. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Im late but here are my 3 cents.

Customs and Taxes on electronics are so high for 2 reasons I think.

One, being encouraging companies to start manufacturing In India.

Other, is that government needs money to run country, it doesn't go up or down depending on people paying taxes. Only 2-3% population pays taxes. Thats why its that high. Also there is a political factor that i'll not speak

You're just going to get charged the tax when you enter back into the country... Just another clickbait title targeting Apple. Is this forum becoming CNN now?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580