Slowness on Laptop with Core m7-6y75

mr fobs

Hey everyone! Not urgent, but wanted to get some opinions:

I work at a college and we have some HP Elite x2 laptops that have Core m7-6Y75 cpus, 8GBs of DDR3 ram, Intel 515 graphics,  and a 256 Gb NVMe SSDs. (Not great I know, but they are 5 years old)

Recently some of them have been beginning to become slow doing a variety of tasks and we haven't been able to pinpoint what has caused it.

Running a passmark test yields random numbers from 600 to 1700 with no consistency. 

Nothing is running over 80 degrees under load and rarely see load spikes (other than startup)

We have about 10 machines this has happened to and unfortunately can't just replace them given the circumstances. They are out of Warranty, but we are all certified HP repair techs so we have parts for them.

Has anyone else seen this issue on this processor, or have any advice?

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

How's the battery health on these and others that work?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

Recently some of them have been beginning to become slow doing a variety of tasks and we haven't been able to pinpoint what has caused it.

Laptops are using HDDs? After prolonged use, and I bet it's kind of 3-5 years old already since it's Skylake based, the HDDs would be degraded af that it would slow anything running on it. It's kind of sign if that HDDs coming to death because bad sectors are starting to appear, either.

Source? Trust me. I killed 2 (technically 3, but stopped using the last one as it's getting become slow af) of laptop HDDs for the last 9 years.

Might be worth to upgrade to SSDs as it's usually the main culprit of laptop slowness. 

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

How's the battery health on these and others that work?

We have tried replacing the batteries, did not change sadly. Also have tried no battery and just the power adapter, same issue.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

1 minute ago, dhannemon13 said:

Laptops are using HDDs? After prolonged use, and I bet it's kind of 3-5 years old already since it's Skylake based, the HDDs would be degraded af that it would slow anything running on it. It's kind of sign if that HDDs coming to death because bad sectors are starting to appear, either.

Source? Trust me. I killed 2 (technically 3, but stopped using the last one as it's getting become slow af) of laptop HDDs for the last 9 years.

Might be worth to upgrade to SSDs as it's usually the main culprit of laptop slowness. 

Shoot I forgot that would be good info to put in. They are on NVMe drives so SSDs, I edited my original post

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

1 minute ago, mr fobs said:

Shoot I forgot that would be good info to put in. They are on NVMe drives so SSDs, I edited my original post

Ah, good to remind ya then lol

As for the problem, Windows updates for the last few months maybe that might affect the perfomance? I even still stuck on 1909 because of a lot of info I read for incompatibilities that might ending to slowness. 

Or. Since it's some 5 years old SSDs, check the SMART status of all drives maybe? SSDs can degrade, either.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

As for the problem, Windows updates for the last few months maybe that might affect the perfomance? I even still stuck on 1909 because of a lot of info I read for incompatibilities that might ending to slowness. 

Yea we have been trying different Windows Versions, one the issues with that is we have some on the same version where one is fine and the others are slow, but I suppose that isn't super uncommon.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

3 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

Yea we have been trying different Windows Versions, one the issues with that is we have some on the same version where one is fine and the others are slow, but I suppose that isn't super uncommon.

Well, now I'm out of ideas of why can it happen then. Thermals should be good, and it's kind of 'rare' CPUs that I actually just heard it from your post lol

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

Well, now I'm out of ideas of why can it happen then. Thermals should be good, and it's kind of 'rare' CPUs that I actually just heard it from your post lol

Yea we have 4 techs and we are all stumped. Its not profile related either lol

As for the CPU it is a very low clock and core count, but surprisingly powerful and doesn't have thermal throttling, only power throttling.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage