expereince with "off-brand" parts?

parrotperil

Specifically I'm wondering about slightly cheaper, less well known brands such as GeIL and OLOy vs U.S mainstream brands like Corsair, Kingston, etc. What were your reasons for getting and experience with using lesser known parts?

What "parts" are you looking for?

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

I've never had problems going out cheap with SSD's, fans, cases and coolers and there are some deals out there if you are willing to take the risk. But never cheap out on an PSU

W/ respect to RAM, they're basically fine. Only a few manufacturers of the actual DRAM chips, and that makes it pretty hard to mess them up. I'd avoid them for super high speed stuff like DDR4 4266+ since at that point, having your motherboard support your sticks on the QVL is pretty helpful, and bigger brands are more likely to end up on those. 

More broadly, yeah, it totally depends. PSUs, I'd typically avoid. Watercooling parts, most of mine are from AliExpress. It really does depend. I gave the RAM answer based on the brands you gave.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Well IMO RAM, SSD, etc. Basically anything with a DRAM chip they are fine 'cause they are the resellers. And the ones that are making this chips is still Samsung, Micron, etc.

Basically the only thing I didn't trust with these "off-brand" companies are Motherboards and PSUs

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

PSU - Segotep GP600P (500W) - no problems

SSD - Kingdian M.2  2242 512GB - no problems (still have it inside a USB stick)

Graphics card - Manli Gallardo GTX 1070 - no problems

These are my experiences with Chinese/HK PC parts. But one persons experience is not good for predicting failure statistics.

I edit my posts more often than not

Sandisk and Transcend are two funny examples of "off-brands". Being major manufacturers of flash storage, but not so known for their SSDs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

Sandisk and Transcend are two funny examples of "off-brands". Being major manufacturers of flash storage, but not so known for their SSDs.

I don't understand sandisk. shouldn't the ssd go to wd?

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, sub68 said:

I don't understand sandisk. shouldn't the ssd go to wd?

Talking about time before WD acquired them. Like 2014 when SSDs were also just coming to consumers, and Sandisk and Transcend offered cheap alternatives to Kingston, Corsair and Samsung.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

Talking about time before WD acquired them.

but isn't sandisk still making ssds?

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, sub68 said:

but isn't sandisk still making ssds?

They are still major manufacturer of flash storage. If they sell SSDs under that brand, then why do you ask me if their SSDs should be under WD or SanDisk brand?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

then why do you ask me if their SSDs should be under WD or SanDisk brand?

because isnt sandisk under wd

nvm this is just a tangle that I will never under stand

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

14 minutes ago, sub68 said:

because isnt sandisk under wd

nvm this is just a tangle that I will never under stand

According to Wikipedia WD acquired SanDisk in 2016. I was talking about SanDisk when SSDs were new and fancy thing, so 2013-2015. SanDisk is still being used as a brand name. Just like Microsoft used Nokia as brand name for a while.

Anyway, any brand can become major in a flash. All it needs is good marketing strategy, good product and they are off. Another example is Arctic and Cryorig. Or Scythe.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Anyway, any brand can become major in a flash.

I assume no pun intended

but a example is moondrop well in the audiophile became a great chineses hifi manufacturer

but yeah sandisk is still great I only have sandisk sd cards due to there reliability

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

11 hours ago, parrotperil said:

Specifically I'm wondering about slightly cheaper, less well known brands such as GeIL and OLOy vs U.S mainstream brands like Corsair, Kingston, etc. What were your reasons for getting and experience with using lesser known parts?

I’ve found that with any PC parts any company can make something that is good or something that is crap.  It depends heavily on the particular part.  Some companies don’t make anything that is decent, but even the most respected brands can come out with garbage occasionally.  Branding just isn’t a great way to judge things. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't consider them an off-brand.

came to post the same thing. Maybe its a US thing pretty common in AU 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

my dad got 12 GeIL pwm fans for $4.99 each at ncix. why they were that cheap i don't no. well hes still using them and i had 6 and they still work too for water cooling. there still around but barley...i guesses. evrt now and then you see a product of a company you thought was dead like antec oh your still around are you then i remember when they were at the top.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links