How much should i worry about the RTX 3000 power spikes?

Lord Szechenyi

outervision is not particularly accurate and shouldn't be trusted.

2 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

i have a 550W 80+ Bronze psu

what is the model

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

not a very good power supply for your uses, an i9-10900 can draw over 200 watts with a 3070 also being about 220. it does spike in power so if you were using a 550 watt PSU you'd want it to be a high quality unit. Have a look at the PSU tier list to get started, and if high core count CPUs with powerful GPUs are what you strive for, maybe a 650 watt or 750 watt PSU are ideal to get a decent upgrade path.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

an i9-10900 can draw over 200 watts 

image.thumb.png.2c0446e243a16803b609e25bb8a322e9.png

What am i not understanding here?

1 minute ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

What am i not understanding here?

TDP is thermal, not power

image.png.505b1165ba71daf7e541068540e67aba.png3

An i7-7700, with only 4 cores, is a 95 watt TPD CPU

Primary PC:

TDP is thermal, not power

image.png.505b1165ba71daf7e541068540e67aba.png

ooooooooooh ok i understand now, thanks.

How accurate is this?

image.thumb.png.317bfceb8bb6a610aa29439588ff73b1.png

Just now, Lord Szechenyi said:

How accurate is this?

there really aren't any accurate PSU calculators, they basically all use TDP to try to estimate power usage. You'll find that if you go to websites where measurements for component power draw and add them together yourself, you'll get very different results.

Tomshhardware is usually one of the best references for component power draw, with a lot of comprehensive analysis

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

there really aren't any accurate PSU calculators, they basically all use TDP to try to estimate power usage. You'll find that if you go to websites where measurements for component power draw and add them together yourself, you'll get very different results.

Tomshhardware is usually one of the best references for component power draw, with a lot of comprehensive analysis

i was unable to find one for the i9-10900, only for the K version, but i'm not interested in that one, only the base one.

can you help me find something reliable?

13 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

an i9-10900 can draw over 200 watts

Non-K version should consume much less than 200w.  🤔

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

5 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

i was unable to find one for the i9-10900, only for the K version, but i'm not interested in that one, only the base one.

can you help me find something reliable?

this techpowerup article seems to have a good amount of charts

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10900/18.html

power-multithread.png

max turbo without a BCLK overclock has it at 243 watts. Mind you, that is "whole system" power draw but they're running a CPU only benchmark and the additional watts would be negligible (handful of watts for ram, motherboard, SSD) so the wattage for the CPU itself would still be pretty high, in the 200 watt range.

3 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Non-K version should consume much less than 200w.  🤔

why should it? 10 cores, 14nm inefficient power draw, the 9900K draws like 180 watts at stock

Primary PC:

power-multithread.png

max turbo without a BCLK overclock has it at 243 watts. Mind you, that is "whole system" power draw but they're running a CPU only benchmark and the additional watts would be negligible (handful of watts for ram, motherboard, SSD) so the wattage for the CPU itself would still be pretty high, in the 200 watt range,

i probably won't turbo the cpu, but again this is Cinebench.

i only need the cpu for 2 or 3 games. not rendering

i only need the cpu for 2 or 3 games. not rendering

it's a lot better to plan for what the CPU can do, not what it might usually be doing.

also, disabling turbo boost? do you know how low the base clock on that CPU is? what a waste. If you're gaming, get a 6 core CPU and let it turbo, cause it'll outperform a kneecapped 10 core CPU 10 times out of 10.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

it's a lot better to plan for what the CPU can do, not what it might usually be doing.

also, disabling turbo boost? do you know how low the base clock on that CPU is? what a waste. If you're gaming, get a 6 core CPU and let it turbo, cause it'll outperform a kneecapped 10 core CPU 10 times out of 10.

well i'm not going to turbo, so should i get another 10th gen intel cpu?

maybe you can help me on that.

currently i have the i3-10100, and i'd like a cpu that won't bottleneck the Gpu (probably the rtx 3070) in the following games:

Hitman 3

Star Citizen

That's like a 500$ CPU + 500$ GPU, just please don't try to save extra bucks on something as important as the PSU. You have the money if you've spent that kind of money already

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

currently i have the i3-10100, and i'd like a cpu that won't bottleneck the Gpu (probably the rtx 3070) in the following games:

i5-10600 or 10600K offers top tier gaming experience at a fraction of the cost of an i9. Gives you the spare funds to upgrade the PSU to a higher quality unit.

Primary PC:

Just now, -iSynthesis said:

That's like a 500$ CPU + 500$ GPU, just please don't try to save extra bucks on something as important as the PSU. You have the money if you've spent that kind of money already

i don't actually.

i'm going to sell my 1070, which easily goes for 250$, and that way i'll have enough for the 3070.

then i'll sell my i3-10100 for 100$ and get the i9-10900 around december january

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

-snip-

max turbo without a BCLK overclock has it at 243 watts. Mind you, that is "whole system" power draw but they're running a CPU only benchmark and the additional watts would be negligible (handful of watts for ram, motherboard, SSD) so the wattage for the CPU itself would still be pretty high, in the 200 watt range.

why should it? 10 cores, 14nm inefficient power draw, the 9900K draws like 180 watts at stock

Damn. 🤣 
But that was an AVX load though, for gaming it won't get anywhere near that. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, xAcid9 said:

Damn. 🤣 
But that was an AVX load though, for gaming it won't get anywhere near that. 

I guess? but having hardware sitting on a PSU that can't handle it at load is bad practice

if you can't handle me at my worst you don't deserve me at my best

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

i5-10600 or 10600K offers top tier gaming experience at a fraction of the cost of an i9. Gives you the spare funds to upgrade the PSU to a higher quality unit.

that might be a good choice.

but i also want to mention that, i'm planning on reselling my computer before the end of 2021, and i want to know how much will i lose choosing an i5 instead of the i9 (as in, the price difference from when i bought it and when i am reselling it with the complete pc)

1 minute ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

that might be a good choice.

but i also want to mention that, i'm planning on reselling my computer before the end of 2021, and i want to know how much will i lose choosing an i5 instead of the i9 (as in, the price difference from when i bought it and when i am reselling it with the complete pc)

you're spending less money and you're making less money, it'll be pretty proportional and you're not really "losing" here.

also a lot of people are gonna pass with an inadequate PSU in the rig so that should be priority one. If you want it to be more "gamery" you can toss an i7 in there, still more appropriate even if 8 cores 16 threads is overkill.

Primary PC:

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Depending on how good the 5600x is, you might want to consider going with it. What motherboard do you have?

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Just now, Random_Person1234 said:

Depending on how good the 5600x is, you might want to consider going with it. What motherboard do you have?

no, i will not go amd

no, i will not go amd

What motherboard do you have with your 10100 currently?

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh