Debug 00 not booting, is it a dead board?

Gotato

Notable components:

MSI z170

Intel 6700k

16gb hyperx ram

The issue started when it would randomly stop outputting a display, the lights were on, discord was working so were game sounds, it just stopped displaying now it doesn't even boot. I have my brother's pc to test, I am 100% certain that it isn't the GPU or the RAM. I even swapped out my psu for another and the same issue would occur. I was trying booting with only one stick of ram with different slots but all came up with debug code '00' (I think I already cleared CMOS but am unsure if it actually did. I did try shorting the cables and also removing the battery for over 10 mins)

The 00 isn't in a manual but upon looking it up online it just says "not used". Do I have a dead board?

5 minutes ago, Gotato said:

I did try shorting the cables and also removing the battery for over 10 mins

shorting the cables? You just unplug the psu and remve the battery for a bit.

Which msi z170, there are several?

What gpu

What ram config (speed, 1 or 2 sticks, xmp/docp on or off)?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

shorting the cables? You just unplug the psu and remve the battery for a bit.

Which msi z170, there are several?

What gpu

What ram config (speed, 1 or 2 sticks, xmp/docp on or off)?

Sorry typo I meant the usual method of jumping the the pins to clear CMOS. And yes I did do the battery thing

Its a gtx 980 and MSI z170 gaming M5

Last time I checked bios it was XMP off and I've been trying literally every ram combination. (100% sure sticks are good)

1 minute ago, Gotato said:

Sorry typo I meant the usual method of jumping the the pins to clear CMOS. And yes I did do the battery thing

ok, that should've cleared the cmos.

Can you get to the bios to double check with it on?

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

ok, that should've cleared the cmos.

Can you get to the bios to double check with it on?

Sadly its not displaying anything nor booting. (I tried on working montior and cables) so I can't get into bios 

5 minutes ago, Gotato said:

Sadly its not displaying anything nor booting. (I tried on working montior and cables) so I can't get into bios 

00 on boards mean the CPU is not detected, was it overclocked? It's very unlikely to just die though like that, even overclocked.

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

00 on boards mean the CPU is not detected, was it overclocked? It's very unlikely to just die though like that, even overclocked.

It's not overclocked. And the manual says 'D0' is CPU not integrated but I'm certain it's saying 00 which online states "not used" but I also feel it's extremely unlikely my cpu died like that

IMG20201022214512.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I looked online for a bit and found a toms hardwasr when they barrowed some extra memory and was able to update bios and the old memory eorked. 

OP, can you do that?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I looked online for a bit and found a toms hardwasr when they barrowed some extra memory and was able to update bios and the old memory eorked. 

OP, can you do that?

Extra memory...? I using my brother's sticks of ram. It's completely different from the ones I was using but I certainly can try this. I will update you (if you can link me the post it would be nice I can't find it when I was searching earlier)

Just now, Gotato said:

Extra memory...? I using my brother's sticks of ram. It's completely different from the ones I was using but I certainly can try this. I will update you (if you can link me the post it would be nice I can't find it when I was searching earlier)

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/no-post-no-beep-no-video-debug-code-00.2422384/

I realise that its a gaming m7, but it might help.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Gotato said:

-snip-

I can only comment on my own experience with almost exclusively ASUS boards but 00 is definitely a post code for no CPU, or more accuratly CPU not detected or can't boot, no one is 100% sure but in the competitive OC world  where I'm from, 00 generally means something's dead, or rare a corrupt BIOS or unsupport bit of hardware, a corrupt BIOS would 100% cause that was would a random hardware failure. 

Yours faithfully

15 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I can only comment on my own experience with almost exclusively ASUS boards but 00 is definitely a post code for no CPU, or more accuratly CPU not detected or can't boot, no one is 100% sure but in the competitive OC world  where I'm from, 00 generally means something's dead, or rare a corrupt BIOS or unsupport bit of hardware, a corrupt BIOS would 100% cause that was would a random hardware failure. 

I think it's a corrupted bios currently.

But what do you mean by "that was would a random hardware failure"

1 minute ago, Gotato said:

I think it's a corrupted bios currently.

But what do you mean by "that was would a random hardware failure"

It's entirely possible something somewhere in the system died, like an IC on the motherboard, maybe some part of the CPU degraded beyond use, a RAM stick dying. While highly unlikely, it does still happen but failure rates of stuff that are more than a few years old but not majorly out of date (say 10+ years) is usually very small. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

It's entirely possible something somewhere in the system died, like an IC on the motherboard, maybe some part of the CPU degraded beyond use, a RAM stick dying. While highly unlikely, it does still happen but failure rates of stuff that are more than a few years old but not majorly out of date (say 10+ years) is usually very small. 

Well as I said, I tested the vast majority of components. Nothing seemed to be faulty. 

2 minutes ago, Gotato said:

Well as I said, I tested the vast majority of components. Nothing seemed to be faulty. 

Do you know how to update the BIOS?

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Gotato said:

Notable components:

MSI z170

Intel 6700k

16gb hyperx ram

The issue started when it would randomly stop outputting a display, the lights were on, discord was working so were game sounds, it just stopped displaying now it doesn't even boot. I have my brother's pc to test, I am 100% certain that it isn't the GPU or the RAM. I even swapped out my psu for another and the same issue would occur. I was trying booting with only one stick of ram with different slots but all came up with debug code '00' (I think I already cleared CMOS but am unsure if it actually did. I did try shorting the cables and also removing the battery for over 10 mins)

The 00 isn't in a manual but upon looking it up online it just says "not used". Do I have a dead board?

It sounds like the video card driver simply dropped and did not recover.

00 means normal operation. Ignore it. 

To view post codes, see my sig.

When the driver drops try this.

Press the Win + Ctrl + Shift + B keys at the same time to reset the video sub system.

Hope this helps!